Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How Has FCP X Changed Your Editing?

How Has FCP X Changed Your Editing? 27 Jul 2012 15:55 #12196

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1279
At the suggestion of a member here, I figured I'd try this out. So...

For those of you who have been making a living editing, and now have switched to FCP X from legacy or other NLEs, how has it changed your editing experience, workflow, job, career, etc, etc, etc?

What's your FCP X story?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How Has FCP X Changed Your Editing? 27 Jul 2012 15:55 #12197

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1279
I'm simply editing faster. I picked up the new keyboard shortcuts really fast. And it's actually fun to be learning new ways of doing things all the time. As a long, long time Apple cert'd trainer, and a long, long time IT and post-production trainer before that, nothing has ever been more fun to teach. Students, both rookie newbies and old seasoned pros, have never been more excited and picked up the material so fast.

FCP X is more of a living entity than anything I've worked with before. It grows, and evolves, and allows me to grow and evolve with it. I've loved it.

Yes, there are some short coming, but those are in fact being addressed by the FCPX dev team, and we know they will be giving us "old" tools back that are reworked for the future (ex. multiclip), and new tools we've never had before (ex. roles/stem export) that are amazing.

I have noticed from my experience over the years that the things users are requesting of FCP X usually involve workflows and tool ideas that didn't exist in any NLE before. Think Different has firmly taken hold with FCP X. Keep filling out that feedback page.
Last Edit: 27 Jul 2012 15:58 by BenB.

Re: How Has FCP X Changed Your Editing? 27 Jul 2012 16:17 #12199

• Scrubelicious
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 108
One is for sure I am much faster thanks for the new workflow, organization, performance and the keyboard hot keys!

The better tie in with DaVince Resolve has also gave color grading option with road blocks.

Can't wait until we get Audio mixing!

Re: How Has FCP X Changed Your Editing? 28 Jul 2012 14:13 #12239

• Seanus
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Sean Lander - Rednail Media
  • Thank you received: 75
Like you guys I too am editing way faster in X. The other thing I'm doing more of now is just subtle FX because it's so easy. Just to add a lens flare off camera that is just giving a hint of definition. Because I can play with all this in real time it's great to be able to add that extra layer of polish.

For me still FCP X is only 75% there but overall what is there is worth it to switch anyway.

The biggest change of all is that I smile a lot more when using this software.
Sean Lander - Editing since 1982 - AVID 1991 - FCP 1999 - FCPX 2011

Re: How Has FCP X Changed Your Editing? 13 Aug 2012 01:57 #12937

• AndrewB
  • Fresh Boarder
Here's my story:

I've used FCP professionally since FCP 3.

In X, I'm definitely working faster and having more fun.

About 75% of my job is FCPX. I'm working for a smart company who uses X exclusively.

I've enjoyed editing on a laptop (PowerBook/Macbook Pro) for the past decade, and FCPX makes this even easier; I'm editing remotely and re-linking Events and Project files when I get back into the office. That's been great (knock wood)!

I also teach teen filmmaking workshops. They get FCPX (and as digital natives, they'd get FCP7, too, just not as quickly). We import footage and can see it in FCPX instantly.

-Andrew