Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Promise Pegasus Reads much slower than it writes

Promise Pegasus Reads much slower than it writes 29 Dec 2015 06:10 #71807

• ohsoweird
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the follow-up!

Since yesterday I have both run disktester in 4-drive (default stripe size 128Kb as well as 1Mb Video Streaming option), then 6-drive configuration. In this test process the Raid is set to factory reset before configuring again. Again I have had these results:

All Raid-5 (average speeds) Pegasus Promise T1 r6 with HGST 6TB 7200rpm 128Mb cache drives
4-drive 128Kb Stripe size = 450Mb/write 550Mb/Read (pre-sync)
4-drive 1Mb Stripe size = 130Mb/write 350Mb/Read (pre-sync)
6-drive 128Kb Stripe size = 650Mb/write 750Mb/Read (pre-sync)

Speeds are consistent and over large portions of the Raid - I suspect that there are no issues with the 6 drives but rather specific configurations that seem to be invompatible.

Any thoughts?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Promise Pegasus Reads much slower than it writes 29 Dec 2015 15:34 #71810

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 267
I don't have a good explanation for your results. I just checked my 8TB R4 and it is configured for a 512KB stripe size. It's currently about 60% full and BlackMagic shows about 450MB/sec read and 450MB/sec write, although there's a lot of fluctuation.

I would probably not use 128KB stripe size.

I just did a few quick tests in FCPX and when exporting to H264 1080p it was using around 440KB I/O size. However when scrolling through thumbnails in the Event Browser of a large 2.2TB project, it was doing about 50KB I/Os. You never know what I/O size it will be using without actual testing, and even then it only matters if the specific task is I/O limited.

E.g, H264 export is mostly CPU-limited, not I/O limited, so further increasing I/O bandwidth won't help.

In general I'd probably use an approx 256KB or 512KB stripe size.

If you are using 6 x 6TB drives, that is pretty big. There is an argument that RAID-5 might not be the best fit for that from a reliability standpoint. In the event of a drive failure, the entire array must be re-read during the rebuild, and (according to one theory) the total I/O involved may approach the unrecoverable error rate. If this causes a 2nd failure during the rebuild the entire array is lost.

I think that reasoning is flawed and based in a misinterpretation of HDD error rates. However it probably does have validity at higher data volumes, and 36TB is getting up there.

You might want to consider RAID-6 for this, which can sustain two drive failures before losing the array. I haven't tested the performance implications of that.

Promise Pegasus Reads much slower than it writes 29 Dec 2015 19:11 #71815

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1279
RAID 6 and RAID 5 will be about the same I/O rates.
I've installed and maintained dozens of 32GB+ RAID 5 systems, and no, they are not susceptible to any I/O errors when rebuilding from a dead drive. There's some system performance hit, but it isn't debilitating, and no where near being fatally dangerous.

Pegasus RAID units used as factory default should be perfectly fine for video editing. We have a few that work great for2.5 and 4K work.

Promise Pegasus Reads much slower than it writes 05 Jan 2016 13:47 #71951

Has anyone tried the AJA system test? My system is a nMP/6 core/32GB/Pegasys2 R4 - Raid5/

aja21.jpg

Promise Pegasus Reads much slower than it writes 05 Jan 2016 14:08 #71957

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1279
16TB P2 RAID 5, newest MP, 32 GB RAM, 2TB SSD upgrade.

DiskSpeedTest.jpg
Last Edit: 05 Jan 2016 14:09 by BenB.

Promise Pegasus Reads much slower than it writes 05 Jan 2016 14:49 #71961

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
I got 488MB/sec write, 451MB/sec read on an 8TB TB1 Pegasus R4 in RAID-5. That's on a top-spec 2015 iMac 27. R4 is about 62% full. I apparently have a different version of AJA, ver. 10.5.2.
Attachments:

Promise Pegasus Reads much slower than it writes 07 Jan 2016 23:03 #72022

• ohsoweird
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks all for the feedback and help. The r6 Thunderbolt 1 is up and running properly now with 2 partitions 10TB + 20TB on a 6x 6TB RAID5 config using Promise's default stripe and block sizes. Good performance across and verified speeds with DiskTester.

The results are (average):
Partition 1 10TB : 479 write / 795 read - 48% full
Partition 2 20TB : 478 write / 595 read - 82% full

Promise Pegasus Reads much slower than it writes 22 Jun 2017 16:10 #88951

Hi!

I found this topic yesterday during research about Pegasus R6 low speed. I have it for almost six years and on Monday one of the disks died (1TB Hitachi). I have everything on backup, so no big deal. Got 6 new Toshiba 3TB at a nice price. Swapped all of them, followed the Pegasus Utility Wizzard for setup and left it to do its synchronization. Then I was shocked by the write speed - only 250+ MB/s. Reading speed was good, around 800 MB/s. Got a bit worried while reading forums on the net... I

During the setup, I just left everything at default settings and didn't bother much with anything. My work is mainly design (Adobe CC), photography, 3D and some video. I didn't feel like deleting the - still empty - logical drive and waste another night for syncing the new one, so I went playing around with the settings. The catch was with ReadAhead/WriteBack settings. They were both marked as chosen options. So, I changed ReadAhead to NoCache, and tested the speeds again. Reading speed was the same. Then switched it back to ReadAhead and tested again. And it made a big difference! So, now I'm getting around 650+ MB/s read speed. Looks like the setting just shows to be active, but actually, it isn't.

Just my five cents to the topic, if it helps anyone.

Promise Pegasus Reads much slower than it writes 23 Jun 2017 09:14 #88966

• ohsoweird
  • Fresh Boarder
vojko.plevel, yes this is pretty much my finding as well. I tried shuffling around the settings, especially the ReadAhead/WriteBack but found that the default ones gave me the best performance overall. There might be reasons to why you would change them (depending on the tasks that you do with the storage). But I have found that with a lot of mixed media and various file formats (CinemaDNG file sequences, wrapped codecs, standalone files..) with all this on the same storage the default setting is good enough.

Promise Pegasus Reads much slower than it writes 23 Sep 2019 08:57 #101588

• AppleGuru
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Since last week I have been getting the following results.

Its R8 at configured as RAID 5 with 7 Drives.

P.S. attaching files dopest work anymore?
Last Edit: 23 Sep 2019 08:59 by AppleGuru.

Promise Pegasus Reads much slower than it writes 23 Sep 2019 14:32 #101592

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Is it possible you have a failed drive and write performance is degraded? Can you use the Promise Utility to check the array status?

I don't think this has anything to do with FCPX; you might get a more informed response by contacting Promise tech support directly.

Promise Pegasus Reads much slower than it writes 24 Sep 2019 15:24 #101613

• AppleGuru
  • Gold Boarder
Where do I check this from he uni;ity everything is checked green.
I do have the first drive not active. But all the other 7 are green.

Promise Pegasus Reads much slower than it writes 24 Sep 2019 15:56 #101614

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
I no longer have a Promise array so I can't check. Maybe someone else could comment or you could get advice from Promise tech support or their support forum: forum.promise.com

Promise Pegasus Reads much slower than it writes 26 Sep 2019 14:28 #101665

• AppleGuru
  • Gold Boarder
Already posted something in their forum no luck since two weeks. Reason why cam here.

I am really losing faith in Promise!

Promise Pegasus Reads much slower than it writes 26 Sep 2019 16:40 #101668

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
I suggest you contact Promise directly. I now use mostly OWC arrays and SoftRAID. Both OWC and SoftRAID have been very responsive to support issues -- especially SoftRAID.

If your RAID set is supposed to contain 8 drives and 1 is offline it could be functioning in a degraded mode which might hurt write performance. That is just a guess. If you intentionally created a 7-drive array, then maybe not. But 100 MB/sec write speed is abnormal.

I would first verify all your important data is backed up elsewhere. A performance issue of this type could portend a data integrity issue. No matter how "redundant", RAID is not a backup and any RAID device can fail in a non-recoverable manner for various reasons.

Promise Pegasus Reads much slower than it writes 30 Sep 2019 06:38 #101705

• AppleGuru
  • Gold Boarder
Yeah not much promise from Promise! :evil:

So change the settings from WriteThru to WriteBack and getting a different results.
What I don't understand is that I am getting two different results:

Promise Pegasus Reads much slower than it writes 30 Sep 2019 11:21 #101709

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
You said after about to 23 Sept you suddenly started getting poor write performance. That indicates something changed. It now appears something or someone changed your Promise controller from "write back" caching to "write through" caching. That could account for slow write performance.

Different benchmarks will often show different performance numbers. Under the covers they may use different # of threads, different buffer systems, different # of async overlapped I/Os, different I/O sizes, etc. One is not right and the other wrong. There is no enforcement committee or criteria specifying I/O tests must use one method.
  • Page: