Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Login With Facebook
  • Page:

TOPIC: Awesome iPad FCPX Editing Controller App!

Awesome iPad FCPX Editing Controller App! 07 Feb 2013 01:31 #21019

• TrixTrax9000
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 137
This just in! Wow, looks SuperCool.

store.pixelfilmstudios.com/plugin/app-procutx
Last Edit: 07 Feb 2013 18:15 by TrixTrax9000 .
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Awesome iPad FCPX Editing Controller App! 07 Feb 2013 01:48 #21020

• Marc Lucas
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
It's not that good actually, the jog wheel is cool but the buttons have a short lag after pressing I think they need to do more work on it. Some of the controls that they have put on the screen are a little odd where they could of included way more practical buttons like in Actions for iPad.

Awesome iPad FCPX Editing Controller App! 07 Feb 2013 02:31 #21022

• TrixTrax9000
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, you sound like you've tested it. I haven't, but loved the concept. However, being on their mailing list, they seem very open to suggestions & committed to improvement, perhaps your ideas would be welcomed...

Awesome iPad FCPX Editing Controller App! 07 Feb 2013 03:09 #21023

• cgbier
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 45
How is the tactile feel? Can you use it without taking your eyes from the screen? Is it really faster than keyboard commands and mouse/trackpad?

Awesome iPad FCPX Editing Controller App! 07 Feb 2013 10:50 #21028

• Marc Lucas
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
The design looks very nice. The practicality of the design isn't that good.
I think they have tried to include way to many controls on the screen which in turn makes the buttons smaller. This also brings up a point that you are not fully sure that you have selected something on the screen until something moves or changes in FCPX. There should be a colour change or something letting you visually know that you have selected something.
That brings up another point because these app supposed to speed up workflow but if you are constantly looking across to see if you have selected something then that defeats the object.
There are loads of control buttons that really shouldn't be on the screen like 'Import Footage' 'Send to Compressor' (who actually does that??) All the tools are on there which shouldn't because a simple single key command is way quicker...i could go on...
On a control surface like this you need big buttons very much like Actions for iPad. That app nails it because of its simplicity and big coloured buttons on screen that you don't have to think about. The really cool thing about Actions is that if you are working on multiple pieces of software and switch to say PS or AE it will switch control panels dependant on what is on your screen.

I've included a screen grab from my iPad showing the polar differences in the UI for both apps
Attachments:
Last Edit: 07 Feb 2013 10:52 by Marc Lucas.

Awesome iPad FCPX Editing Controller App! 07 Feb 2013 14:09 #21032

• chrisb
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Good start, I got my comment deleted from their facebook page. Granted, I wasn't overly positive of the app so far.

I fail to see, how one can actually *edit* with this app (which I bought btw).
Where are the IN-OUT + overwrite/append/insert buttons?

Although it's nice to finally see an FCPX control-app, this is what it is.. PRO-CONTROL-X, not PRO-CUT-X.

If I still need a hand on the keyboard for basic editing tasks - which - by all accounts - is determining what part of a clip goes where, it only distracts from speed and workflow if I have to move my hand, and eyes, over to the iPad app.
Say I jog to an in-point with procutx. Then I have to actually mark my in and outs with the keyboard. That makes it easier to just leave my hands on the keyboard instead of reaching for the app.

Oh, and you probably want to get the animation on that virtual jog wheel fixed, seeing as it's as smooth as an 8fps eastern european animation film from the 50's.

Some inspiration for future updates:
Make the app one-handed with more gesture-based controls (like swipe up/down/left/right to do basic editing operations) Editmote already has this functionality, so I can actually *edit* with that app.
You really want your app to replace as much of the keyboard as possible, not add to it.
As a professional editor/color grader, I want to move my hands as little as possible. Give me alternative way to do things, not add to my flow.
Keyboard OR procutx is a better option than keyboard PLUS procutx.

When I can edit from my couch (not necessarily fine-trimming and adjusting, but doing rough assemblies/string-outs) while my computer is at my desk, *then* you'd be on to something.

Awesome iPad FCPX Editing Controller App! 07 Feb 2013 14:33 #21035

• Marc Lucas
  • ( User )
  • Gold Boarder
Couldn't agree more Chris.
I think they have made it athletically pleasing to the eye to actually sell the product. Have you tried Actions? Very simple and very effect, only for some features of FCPX.

Awesome iPad FCPX Editing Controller App! 07 Feb 2013 14:48 #21038

• chrisb
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
Yup, som eye-candy for sure. Pretty to look at, not practical to work with.
I do know of Actions for iPad, and have Editmote already.
For those interested, Editmote allows you to do in-out and basic editing as I described in my previous reply.
Buy Editmote and Actions instead, while you wait for CTRL+Console, updates for PROCUTX or an as yet announced app.

One positive though, it's good to finally see the ball rolling on 3rd party control apps.
I do believe there is a way to improve workflow in editing, using a touchscreen. Devs just have to move beyond the glorified keyboard-shortcuts-on-a-touchscreen paradigm.

Awesome iPad FCPX Editing Controller App! 07 Feb 2013 18:22 #21054

• TrixTrax9000
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
I hope you gents are forwarding these posts to the developer. Since they're the only FCPX iPad controller I've heard of so far, they could do with the encouragement, suggestions, improvements, etc. Your hands-on experience & product knowledge is invaluable to them. Please drop them a line.

Alas, when I was young & fit, I too used to be "athletically pleasing."

:)

Awesome iPad FCPX Editing Controller App! 08 Feb 2013 00:12 #21063

• NocoDave
  • ( User )
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 85
I hope you gents are forwarding these posts to the developer. Since they're the only FCPX iPad controller I've heard of so far

I'm for that, FCPX has proven revolutionary in operation at a time that we need it to move forward. When I first looked in to FCPX related apps, this was the first thing that came to mind. I realised early that what I wanted to do was way beyond my means.

Give the guys doing it the support they need to develop the future of NLE interfacing, we'll thank them as time goes on.
  • Page: