Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: FCPX acting up. Seriously.

FCPX acting up. Seriously. 25 Jun 2013 08:13 #27688

• maschinsky
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi, Guys!

I closed FCPX on wednesday after finishing an edit with no problems and opened it again today and I had problems all over. I've been using FCPX professionally for a year now, know it quite well and have had no problems that come close to what happened today. I'm not a rookie with computers in general and Macs in partiular either, but I have no idea what I can do to fix my problem anymore.

I'm running 10.8.4 with FCPX 10.0.8 on a 2010 MacPro and have a couple of plugins installed (Magic Bullet Looks, DFX, Neat Video, FilmConvert) The only thing that changed on the machine since wednesday was a FXFactory update 4.0.7. I did not change anything else on the machine since wednesday. All the project's EVENTS are online with no yellow triangles and nothing missing. A couple of projects include compound clips.

The problem is as follows: In one project I can only see the main storyline (which is one clip pro Res422 clip) but NO connected clips whatsoever, no generators, no graphics nothing. I deleted all render files to force FCPX to rerender the timeline (which goes for all the projects I have on my machine), but nothing happens — it renders and the orange bar on top of the timeline desappears, but still just the video on the primary storyline is visible. I another project I see all the videos, but the color effects, I put on do nothing whatsoever. Regardless if they're swichted on or off.
Basically ALL projects that are on my machine are corrupted and behave strangely.
If I make a new project and drag generators in it they are just black, no matter if they are stock generators or self made ones. If I open them in Motion they all look fine.

Here is what I tried to bugfix this with no effects:

- repair permissions on all drives
- uninstall FXFactory
- removed all events and projects from FCPX, opened a new one and tried the generators there. Does't work.
- delete FCPX permissions /with permissions manager)
- uninstalled and reinstalled FCPX
- switched off A/V output to Blackmagic Card

The last thing I tried was to copy all the projects, events and custom motion templates to my 2012 MacBookPro running 10.8.4 with FCPX 10.0.8 and ALL the same plugins that are installed on my main machine.

Guess what: EVERYTING OK THERE. No problems, everything works.

Can anyone enlighten me what the hell is wrong with my MacPro?

cheers

Florian

*** UPDATE ***

A little update: In some other forums people suggested that I'm suffering from a hardware problem. To see wether that could be the case I made a new user on my machine and voilá — FCPX behaves as it should, so a hardware centric problem can be ruled out.
What can be wrong with a user that it causes FCPX to act up? Is there a list of files that FCPX stores/uses in the user?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

FCPX acting up. Seriously. 25 Jun 2013 12:36 #27696

• grailz
  • Gold Boarder
  • If you believe you can or can't, you are right!
  • Thank you received: 17
Maybe try a fresh install of OS X on your machine?

FCPX acting up. Seriously. 25 Jun 2013 12:43 #27697

• maschinsky
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the suggestion. A fresh install solves a lot of problems and I am sure it does solve that one too, but this is my production machine where everything is as it should be: Tons of software packages, plugins, settings, fonts, font collections, screen calibration etc. and it takes me literally WEEKS until everything runs smooth again so a fresh install ist the LAST thing I'll want to do.
There has to be a simpler way, maybe it's just deleting just the right .plist somewhere.

FCPX acting up. Seriously. 25 Jun 2013 13:53 #27701

• Bobbyco
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Read my short post from yesterday. This may help.

www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/...ences-sure-helped-me

FCPX acting up. Seriously. 25 Jun 2013 14:10 #27702

• maschinsky
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for your thoughts, but as I stated in my first post trashing the prefs has been on of the first things, I tried.
When I deleted FCPX and trashed the prefs, something caught my eye: The custom share settings I made were still there.

So maybe there is more stuff to delete and try get FCPX up and running again, but I can't find those settings anywhere.

I am looking for where FCPX does store share settings. As the custom share settings don't appear, when I start FCPX with another user on the same machine, I recon tey are in user/library. I have deleted FCPX's p
references in user/library/Application support, but the settings are still there.

They can't be in the application bundle itself, because I have deleted the app and reinstalled it — prefs are still there.

FCPX also does not use the share settings location compressor uses to store it's settings. I know that, because share settings don't update in FCPX, when I change them in compressor.

Can someone tell where those share settings are kept by FCPX?

FCPX acting up. Seriously. 25 Jun 2013 14:30 #27704

• ddixon
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 26
User/Library/Application Support/Compressor/Settings
(User Library may be hidden - use this in Terminal to make it visible)

sudo chflags nohidden ~/Library/

FCPX acting up. Seriously. 25 Jun 2013 14:39 #27706

• ddixon
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 26
And, isn't there an Install option that just puts a fresh System on the drive but leaves all User settings and everything else intact? You'd want a totally rock solid backup of course, but there is obviously something corrupted or conflicting in your system software.

FCPX acting up. Seriously. 25 Jun 2013 15:09 #27707

• maschinsky
  • Fresh Boarder
User/Library/Application Support/Compressor/Settings

contains compressor settings that are available from within compressor, but as soon as you add one of them as a FCPX "Destination" FCPX does not longer use these files, but copies it's contents somewhere else. I need to find that somewhere else.

Yes there is an option to reinstall OSX without destroying the user data, but OSX has no problem on my machine. As I stated with another user FCPX works.

If I would reinstall OSX, but leave the user untouched I'd have the same problem as I have now.

Cheers

Florian

FCPX acting up. Seriously. 27 Jun 2013 03:10 #27769

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 701
Removing the FCP X application by dragging to the trash, and then reinstalling does not effect your prefs or plugins.

Removing FCP X with the free FCS Remover app will remove prefs, but not plugins and such.

FCPX acting up. Seriously. 27 Jun 2013 10:07 #27783

• maschinsky
  • Fresh Boarder
After three days of trying to solve the problem — I even reinstalled OSX — I gave up and moved to a new user on the same machine and everything works perfectly there.

Although in different forums I got lots of promising tipps, nothing worked.

It's a pity I could not find out what went wrong there and I hope it does not happen again.

Florian