Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Projects/Events not saving?

Projects/Events not saving? 24 Jul 2013 15:47 #29034

• lost
  • Fresh Boarder
Greetings, I'm having a problem with FCPX that has left me befuddled and very much concerned. I keep getting a repeated error message which states

"Final Cut Pro cannot save changes to projects or Events. The disk where your projects or Events are located may be full or unavailable, projects or Events may have moved, or permissions may have changed. To avoid losing your work, quit Final Cut Pro."

When I try to quit FCP becomes unresponsive, and I have to force quit. Any project or event management I've done has been within FCP, I haven't moved anything at the Finder level. Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated! Many thanks -
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Projects/Events not saving? 24 Jul 2013 16:19 #29035

• Scott Markowitz
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Sorry to hear your having problems.

I'm wondering if you're using an extenal drive for your events and projects. It has been my experience that factory formatted drives (particularly from GRaid) have given me various disk access issues when used with FCPX.

I have never gotten this exact message, but I've had other problems.

In my case, the error message stated that I could not write to my media drive any longer.
I had to copy my events and projects to a new drive and format the GRaid using Disk Utility.

This has happened to me with 2 seperate GRaids and a Lacie Raid. I haven't had the problem again on any of the same drives since I reformatted them.

I can also caution you from chaining too many drives together at once. If your using Firewire 800 drives, you should try to be careful not to have more than 3 or four chained together at once. Also, try to limit the length of the firewire cables. Use the shortest length cables as you can.

I wish you a speedy resolution to your problem.

Projects/Events not saving? 24 Jul 2013 16:59 #29036

• lost
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes, I am using an external drive. Looking back at the original post I realize I neglected to include that information. It is a Seagate 4TB drive connected via usb 3 to eSATA. I generally only use the external drive for archival purposes, but given the size of the project I am working on I had to go this route. Many thanks for your insight. Respectfully, John.

Projects/Events not saving? 25 Jul 2013 02:03 #29052

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 688
Make sure it is not FAT32 formatted.
Make sure more than 10-15% of it's total capacity is free space.
Last Edit: 25 Jul 2013 02:04 by BenB.

Projects/Events not saving? 25 Jul 2013 02:47 #29054

• lost
  • Fresh Boarder
Ben,thanks for chiming in. I've been reading and learning so much from you guys over the last few months, but have just become a member today. The drive is exfat formatted, again I usually use the external (usb 3 to eSATA video toaster) drives for archive, but I'm currently dealing with a project that is pushing the internal drives (older Mac Pro, 2tb and 3tb drives) to the limit. I decided to roll the dice and put the event and project on a clean (4tb) external drive...that is where the problems seem to have come in.

Do you think it is a drive problem, or possibly a usb 3 card error (I just installed the usb card a couple of weeks ago)? i must confess I am not a computer ninja but would like to think I at least have rudimentary problem solving skills...

Again, thank you all for your support and insight. I truly believe this is one of the most valuable sites on the web, I started using FCPX about 7 months ago after 10 years of deck to deck, then Avid Newscutter, to Adobe CS 5. I'd had some experience with FCP 7 before I took the X challenge...That said X has caused me to rethink and relearn much of what I thought I knew. But I love it to death. I won't go into the things that bug me as it is not germane to this post, but this is the first time I've run into a serious problem that gave me pause. I think a lot of my concern is due to the fact that I am dealing with a very large project on a very tight deadline that has me in a very vulnerable position. People are watching, and waiting. This unexpected speed bump just completely flipped my lid and made me a bit scared.

Following Scott's advice I've decided to move all of the events and projects off the internal 3tb, which is going to cost me hours in time, and move this project off the external to the internal 3tb drive. I've lost a day and 1/2 of work which stinks, but I feel I learned a bit from the experience.

Thank you all for your support and feedback. I really appreciate it.

Cheers, john

Projects/Events not saving? 25 Jul 2013 05:03 #29058

• plysat
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 38
Some folks have had success fixing this error by repairing permissions, but that's not applicable to the external drive. Unless the drive has issues, the formatting is likely the problem. MacOS Extended (journaled) is what X needs. Good luck!
Can't sleep? Try this: fcpxpert.net ;-)

Projects/Events not saving? 25 Jul 2013 11:12 #29076

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 688
FCPX can not write to ExFAT formatted drives. As previously stated, reformat this drive to MacOS Extended (Journaled). That is your problem.

Projects/Events not saving? 25 Jul 2013 15:20 #29082

• anickt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
I never use a new drive without re-formatting it first. Even if it claims to be Mac formatted. It's worth the few minutes it takes.