Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 01 Sep 2013 18:04 #30621

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 686
Any prognostications on when the new Mac Pros might appear or 10.9? They may all be relevant to the 10.1 release date?
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 01 Sep 2013 19:09 #30622

Hey Tom,

Well, I keep searching the news but as with any NEW product like the MacPro or software product like Mavericks and FCPX, Apple is able to keep a much tighter lid on release dates than with their iOS products. Those things leak like sieves.

If Apple does like it did last year, then the September 10th Event will focus on iPhone(s), iOS and iPods. Well placed guys like Jim Dalrymple have already nixed iPads at this event, and I doubt we'll see anything Mac related either. The only possibility is a new AppleTV-- box that is, not the mythical AppleTelevision.

That means, like last year, we'll probably see a second event in October for iPads, Mavericks, and Macs. None of the new Macs Apple releases at this point are going to come out without Mavericks preinstalled- so 10.9 readiness is the key element here. And we really won't know until shortly before that October event if Mavericks is near GoldMaster status. Developers need the GM for a week or two before it gets released to the public, so depending on when 10.9 goes GM, it could be read FOR the late-October Event, or a couple weeks after.

Depending on the availability of stuff like TB2 and the Xeon processors; either the MacPro will be ready for launch OR pre-order at that Oct Event.

So I think the EARLIEST we could see the new FCPX launch would be the 22nd or the 29th of October (Yes, Tuesdays- Feature releases have still all been on Tuesdays). But if the crazy theory that 10.1 is Mavericks only turns out to be true, then obviously it would have to wait for it to be released as well. But if it isn't, then there's no reason why FCPX can't come out before Mavericks AND the MacPro. October 22nd is 3 months after the last update, so it's definitely enough interval time.

That's my rationale, but the short answer is we don't know. Anytime between end of October and whenever Mavericks and the MacPro are ready.

The only things I've heard from people in the know are vague. The only thing I can say is we don't need to worry about is that it will be next year. Not much comfort, I know...
Last Edit: 01 Sep 2013 19:11 by Disproportionate Pictures.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 01 Sep 2013 21:20 #30623

• Tom Wolsky
Thank you. I was hoping for a slightly earlier release, like early October, but your reasoning seems very sound.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 01 Sep 2013 21:29 #30624

One other point I didn't mention. 10.0.6 dropped the Tuesday of Apple's iPad/Mac Event last October as well-

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Sep 2013 10:30 #30626

• alex4D
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 250
This is the place for idle gossip, right...

1. A tweet this morning from Michael Horton, one of the organisers of the Amsterdam Supermeet:
Is #FCPX ready for Professional use? You decide. Only at the #Amsterdam #SuperMeet supermeet.com
more soon

2. Final Cut Pro X has not yet been mentioned on the www.supermeet.com agenda page yet.

3. Apple hijacked the NAB Supermeet show in Easter 2011 to give a preview of Final Cut Pro X

So, if you're at IBC in 13 days time, perhaps it is worth getting a ticket for the Supermeet - '€5 off' codes are available online or on Twitter. (Hope you're OK with the sort of ad here, Peter)

@Alex4D

Easier still - just click on this link SUPERMEET €5 OFF
Last Edit: 02 Sep 2013 11:04 by peteramwiggins. Reason: Added Supermeet ticket link

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Sep 2013 12:16 #30632

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 887
I will be visiting IBC as it is only two hours from where I live. Unfortunately the current Supermeet agenda does not seem to bring anything really new, so I don't think I will attend. Unless of course Apple would decide to drop a bomb once again ;)

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Sep 2013 15:40 #30639

While my optimism will remain tempered for the time being, but I think this morning's tweet specifically calling out FCPX from Horton, when matched with the one from yesterday....
Big announcement coming VERY soon about the #amsterdam #supermeet don't wait for it buy your tickets now! supermeet.com

...IS interesting. Since sessions for Adobe, Autodesk, AND BlackMagic are already listed on the agenda. So we would have to presume the announcement is about an attendee not already listed.

The counterargument to make here is that the original FCPX demo in 2011 was not a happy experience for LACPUG. While it's in character for Apple to preview BIG releases of Final Cut, they typically DO NOT share the stage with anyone.

Curious.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Sep 2013 15:58 #30642

• alex4D
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 250
Given sponsorship deals, you are right - it is unlikely that Apple will be able to push everyone off the stage.

Maybe there'll be an announcement very soon, and a space in the agenda will open up for a presentation by a third-party demonstrating 10.1.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Sep 2013 16:04 #30643

Well, that's what they did last time- to the other presenters dismay! But I don't think Horton would agree to that again.

...ANOTHER tweet from Horton,
What is #FinalCutPro X good for? You decide. Only at the #amsterdam #SuperMeet supermeet.com

more soon

this is getting into tin foil hat territory, but yesterday Larry Jordan tweeted-

"What has two thumbs and a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT to make? THIS GUY! So make sure to STAY TUNED!"

Nahhhhhh.....

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Sep 2013 17:14 #30646

Well, the "Big Announcement" will apparently be revealed today- so we won't have to languish long in speculation!

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Sep 2013 17:20 #30648

• ronny courtens
Holding my finger on the Register button :woohoo:

- Ronny

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Sep 2013 18:09 #30652

The page has just been updated to add Larry Jordan to the agenda. From there,

Is Final Cut Pro X Ready for Professional Use? - Larry Jordan

It's been 2 years, and nine dot releases since Final Cut Pro X was launched. It is time to take a close look and discover the answer for yourself. Internationally-renowned consultant and Apple-Certified trainer Larry Jordan will take us on an in-depth tour of FCP X 10.0.9. Learn what you can, and cannot do with FCP X. Discover for yourself the speed, power, and flexibility that Final Cut provides for even the most demanding workflows. See new tools in action that help you work faster. And, if you've never seen Larry on stage, you are in for a treat - his demos are amazing! Plus, there will be time for questions and comments at the end.

So it appears this is going to be another "where is FCPX at" presentation. I know that certain 3rd party plugins will be demoed as well. But highly unlikely that there will be any advance preview of 10.1 from Larry.

Sort of weird to be doing a presentation like this now when we're so close to a new major release.
Last Edit: 02 Sep 2013 18:10 by Disproportionate Pictures.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Sep 2013 18:24 #30654

• ronny courtens
So it appears this is going to be another "where is FCPX at" presentation.

Yes indeed. I even resent that silly question. If there are still editors around who don't know that FCPX is already being used in very demanding professional workflows they really should get another job, or move back to Earth.

I have lifted my finger from the Register button :(

- Ronny

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Sep 2013 18:27 #30655

ronny courtens wrote:
there are still editors around who don't know that FCPX is already being used in very demanding professional workflows

Seemingly a lot, unfortunately. And they're very vocal about it.

I think the best anyone could hope for 10.1-wise out of this presentation is that Larry has seen 10.1 and he's been given the OK by Apple to make some sort of comment as to what he thinks.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Sep 2013 18:30 #30656

• soarininmotion
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
What qualifies as a "BIG ANNOUNCEMENT" apparently lies in the eyes of the beholder.
Anyone who uses FCPX is well aware of its benefits and shortcomings. Those who don't won't be swayed.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Sep 2013 18:43 #30657

• connerpro
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
It's usually unlike Apple to share the stage, but I wonder if 10.10 is really big enough for it's own event.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Sep 2013 18:50 #30658

It's certain to be the biggest update since 10.0. But I don't know of Apple ever sharing a presentation stage in any capacity- I just don't think they would. And they're certainly not going to leaving demoing their new software to a 3rd party. It would be beyond weird.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Sep 2013 19:00 #30659

• ronny courtens
Agreed. I have contacts with quite a few owners and production managers of larger studios, some using FCPX and others not. Those who don't are still holding on for practical reasons or will probably never use it because of personal preferences. But not one of them has ever told me they think FCPX is not fit for professional use. You only hear such nonsense on the internet, and no real professional will ever pay any attention to internet blabber, except for a good laugh. So with all the respect I have for Larry as an instructor, I think this presentation is useless for professional editors.

- Ronny

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Sep 2013 19:12 #30660

• Tom Wolsky
Are you going to go Ronny? I'm thinking about it.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Sep 2013 19:14 #30661

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60
Just a few days ago I got this from Tekserve in NYC. Nothing more than "This Fall" but it seems as a VAR they're either very early or they're anticipating sooner rather than later.
Get Ready for the New Mac Pro

Adding one way Apple could "take over" the Supermeet without actually taking it over is that if a good part of the presentations Adobe, Autodesk, Blackmagic were all done on the new Mac Pro. Then they can add an FCPX presentation. It would seem much more cooperative than hostile yet featuring Apple every step of the way.
Last Edit: 02 Sep 2013 19:18 by cseeman.