Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Sep 2013 19:19 #30662

"Fall 2013" is the term that Apple debuted with the MacPro theatrical spot, so I wouldn't put too much weight on it being repeated in that ad.

Unlike FCPX, which could conceivably be released whenever it's ready. The MacPro definitely won't ship with anything but Mavericks- so keeping an eye on 10.9 development will give us our best indication of the earliest Apple could announce it for sale/pre-order.
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Sep 2013 19:20 #30663

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 887
Hi Tom,

Yes I will definitely go to IBC, although I don't think I will attend the Supermeet. If you are coming to Amsterdam drop me a mail and we'll fix a time and place to meet: ronnycourtens(at)mac(dot)com

- Ronny

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Sep 2013 19:30 #30664

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60
Disproportionate Pictures wrote:
"Fall 2013" is the term that Apple debuted with the MacPro theatrical spot, so I wouldn't put too much weight on it being repeated in that ad.

Unlike FCPX, which could conceivably be released whenever it's ready. The MacPro definitely won't ship with anything but Mavericks- so keeping an eye on 10.9 development will give us our best indication of the earliest Apple could announce it for sale/pre-order.

The key though is that Tekserve is marketing now. Marketing too early isn't great for ROI. I can't help they feel that now is the time to reach their professional customer base since its release might be imminent (a few weeks). In other words, given it's now September they may be thinking October more likely than December (which is still Fall for most of the month).

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Sep 2013 19:30 #30666

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 687
10.8 was one of the quickest builds. February announcement July release. 10.9 was announced in June. At the same pace as 10.8, we're looking at November at the earliest, which still fits a fall release.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Sep 2013 19:33 #30667

Yeah, especially if we're looking at that second event in the last week of October for a final Mavericks preview and any more Mac related announcements. That makes a Nov MacPro launch pretty believable.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Sep 2013 20:01 #30672

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1279
Local Apple retail store contacted me last week. Said they were surveying their business customers about who was going to order one, or more, and what desired configurations. They said they had no info on dates, configs, or prices, they were just getting a feel for their business clients. So, may mean nothing...

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 04 Sep 2013 18:02 #30750

• Darren Roark
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 61
That's a good point. The other side of that is FCP X came out almost a month before Lion was released.

When they do release a major update to X, it would make sense to do it before the new Mac Pro comes out. "If it's this fast and great on your iMac, imagine what it could do on the new Pro?"

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 04 Sep 2013 18:10 #30753

• alex4D
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 250
One of the great secret features of Final Cut Pro X 10.0.0 was that it had bits of Lion inside it so that the new media features would work in Snow Leopard, the previous version of OS X.

That's how I was able to run Final Cut in OS X 10.6.8 up until a few months ago.

Seeing as none of the new features most people want or expect in 10.1 would need to rely on any announced features of Mavericks, there's a good chance Final Cut Pro X 10.1 will still run on OS X 10.7.

@Alex4D

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Sep 2013 14:11 #30799

I usually keep up to date with the OS- and haven't had any issues so far.

Are you running a multi-monitor setup, Alex? If someone is Mavericks is pretty irresistible.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Sep 2013 15:23 #30804

• alex4D
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 250
I do have a multi monitor setup, but never use apps in full screen mode, so don't have problems with Apple linen wasting a secondary screen.

Is there more to full screen mode than getting a menu bar's-worth of extra space?

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Sep 2013 16:33 #30812

Certainly full-screen mode has been a non starter for me with my setup, but with it FUNCTIONALLY working a lot better in Mavericks, I'll definitely be inclined to give it another shot.

Honestly- I'm actually thinking the persistent menubar and dock across all screens is the much bigger deal. I won't have to jump back and forth with settings when I want to do some work on my Wacom Cintiq- all the menu functions right there. That's worth it to me alone!

And the "AppleTV as extended desktop"integration will eliminate some hardwired displays in my client theatre.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 06 Sep 2013 13:33 #30850

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1279
I'm guessing that 10.1.0 will need Mavericks, or at least be tweaked finely for it. That said, MacRoumors has a source stating late Oct for release. I'd bet we see FCPX 10.1.0 at the same time.
www.macrumors.com/2013/09/06/apple-targe...-x-mavericks-launch/

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 06 Sep 2013 13:43 #30852

Ha! I was just gonna post that.

Agreed about Mavericks. I just have this feeling :whistle: ...

So hopefully for Alex's sake the dev team will be able to wrap some of that important code into FCPX like they did with Lion.

Apple has generally been pretty generous as far as release timeframes are concerned. 10.0.3 was pre-announced for "Early 2012" and released at the end of January when many were thinking that meant NAB (April). 10.0.6 was listed as simply "2012", which many thunk would mean VERY late in the year, but turned out to be the end of October. So Apple hasn't been riding these dates to their very end. The give themselves a healthy buffer but often come in a lot earlier than people expect.

If Lion is due to hit end of Oct, then yeah... MacPro launch (or pre-order) late Oct and launch of 10.1 anytime after Mavericks.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 14 Sep 2013 14:34 #31158

Chances of anything substantivel coming out of tonight's IBC Amsterdam Supermeet-- slim to none.

But it will be interesting to see what Larry presents anyway-

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 14 Sep 2013 14:39 #31160

• peteramwiggins
  • Administrator
  • The Administrator :)
  • Thank you received: 378
Chances are zero considering it is tomorrow :)
Administrator

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 14 Sep 2013 14:41 #31161

What are you, a doctor?!

Ha!

Peter, has there been any indication of an NAB-style Apple presence at IBC?

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 14 Sep 2013 14:42 #31162

• peteramwiggins
  • Administrator
  • The Administrator :)
  • Thank you received: 378
No invitation to press briefings from Apple or any other presentations this year
Administrator

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 14 Sep 2013 14:58 #31163

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
peteramwiggins wrote:
No invitation to press briefings from Apple or any other presentations this year

My interpretation is that Apple will do something highly controlled at a time they decide (of course) rather than put out leading bits of information. They may have decided that the "leading bits" or the "partial exposure" approach will not serve their marketing given previous experience.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 14 Sep 2013 15:01 #31164

If Apple didn't do anything specific press/announcement wise for the release of Logic Pro X (which had laid dormant for much longer), I'm not sure we should expect anything for Final Cut either.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 14 Sep 2013 15:51 #31171

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
Disproportionate Pictures wrote:
If Apple didn't do anything specific press/announcement wise for the release of Logic Pro X (which had laid dormant for much longer), I'm not sure we should expect anything for Final Cut either.

They may not but I do think the marketing situation might be a bit different. In other words we might expect the unexpected. I'm stuck in "think different" mode. :lol:

Apple seems to by tying FCPX marketing somewhat closely to the new MacPro for example given WWDC comments and their website. Granted it's a small target, not an iOS device... but I'm not sure it's all going to happen in "quiet" though.
Last Edit: 14 Sep 2013 15:52 by cseeman.