Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 14 Sep 2013 17:04 #31175

Place your bets! One way or another we should know soon.
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 17 Sep 2013 17:23 #31285

• tpayton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 135
I came across something interesting today. I was cloning our "raw media" drive and notice a couple of hidden files, namely fcplock and fcpuser. Looks like they were modified today. Interesting...

fcpuser.png
Last Edit: 17 Sep 2013 17:23 by tpayton.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 19 Sep 2013 19:40 #31365

I finally got around to watching Larry Jordan's IBC presentation. I'd seen a tweet about some fresh info about the release date for the next version, but didn't know this is where they came from. After his presentation and before some Q&A, Larry dished what dirt he'd heard about the upcoming release to the crowd. Here it is transcribed pretty much verbatim for your mongering pleasure.
Apple is working on a new version of Final Cut. That should certainly come as a shock to all of us[sarcasm]. They haven't told me anything about it... and they haven't forced me to sign any non disclosures. So what you're about to hear is pure speculation founded solely on rumour and innuendo; which is where all of us live anyway...

So I thought I'd share something with you. Just that it will not be a minor upgrade. It's gonna be some heavy, heavy features associated with it.

It will not be this month (September). And what I would do is I would watch for the release date of the MacPro. And when the MacPro ships, which I have serious lust after... When the MacPro ships I think within the same day (24hrs), we'll have a new version of Final Cut.

My guess is that it will be in October... but you never know. It will be this year, but it won't be this month.

But it's gonna be cool.

While Larry admits to no insider info- I'm sure his sources are pretty good.

Nice to have some fresh grist for the mill. I guess we'll have to wait for Apple's event rumoured for next month. 9to5mac linked to a rumour last week saying this event will be held on October 15th. Last year's iPad/Mac Event was held a week later on the 23rd. And FCPX 10.0.6 was launched that same day.
Last Edit: 21 Sep 2013 22:22 by Disproportionate Pictures.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 19 Sep 2013 21:23 #31368

• DSvoboda356
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Where were you able to watch this? i would be interested in seeing it.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 19 Sep 2013 23:50 #31370

Here we go.

Edited to add that the bit about the next update is at about 54:45.
Last Edit: 24 Sep 2013 13:18 by Disproportionate Pictures.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 20 Sep 2013 13:38 #31379

• grailz
  • Gold Boarder
  • If you believe you can or can't, you are right!
  • Thank you received: 20
Thanks for the link.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 20 Sep 2013 17:26 #31382

• Dave_EP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
That was an interesting link. Thanks. A couple of new products I wasn't aware of.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 22 Sep 2013 15:16 #31405

Larry's presentation was almost a advertisement for Intelligent Assistance's tools-

Whether it's a simple utility like Event Manager X or heavy lifting stuff like Producer's Best Friend or Change Manager, Philip and his team are definitely finding places to expand FCPXs tool set in meaningful ways.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 22 Sep 2013 17:03 #31406

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 122
Larry's presentation was almost a advertisement for Intelligent Assistance's tools

Definitely, I thought it was fitting with the subject. Intelligent Assistance, with the tools demo'd, definitely seem to be investing in a high end professional future for FCPX.
Last Edit: 22 Sep 2013 17:04 by NocoDave.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 23 Sep 2013 16:46 #31441

• grailz
  • Gold Boarder
  • If you believe you can or can't, you are right!
  • Thank you received: 20
Had an curious thought that I figured I'd share. With the coming of 10.1 and Mavericks, it's possible (not sure how likely) that Apple will drop support for FCP7 once and for all.

If that happens, does Final Cut Pro X become "Final Cut Pro?" sans X? I know that its supposed to stand for 10, but for many people, the X represents the drastic divergent path Apple took with the new software.
Last Edit: 23 Sep 2013 16:48 by grailz.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 23 Sep 2013 16:49 #31442

From what I hear FCP7 still works on Mavericks. I'm not sure that will change at this point.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 23 Sep 2013 16:54 #31443

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 887
I can confirm FCP7 still works on Mavericks. And I don't think this will change anymore.

- Ronny
Last Edit: 23 Sep 2013 16:54 by ronny courtens.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 23 Sep 2013 22:35 #31460

• Seanus
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Sean Lander - Rednail Media
  • Thank you received: 75
I almost wish it didn't. Would force a lot of my clients to at least upgrade to something that can handle these super big HD files that just kills FCP 7.
Sean Lander - Editing since 1982 - AVID 1991 - FCP 1999 - FCPX 2011

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 24 Sep 2013 06:57 #31470

• Dave_EP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
Seanus wrote:
I almost wish it didn't. Would force a lot of my clients to at least upgrade to something that can handle these super big HD files that just kills FCP 7.

More likely they'd not upgrade to Marvericks ;)

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 24 Sep 2013 10:16 #31477

ronny courtens wrote:
I can confirm FCP7 still works on Mavericks. And I don't think this will change anymore.…

What about 'end of Quicktime/Quartz' and 'AV-Foundation'?

Me no engineer, but I was told, FCPX doesn't rely anymore on the QT-engine ....
No idea, how big the cut is from MacOS.08 to .09, but that would kill any support.

nomen clatura:
the few people I know, say "Final Cut" … no 'pro', no '7', no 'eX', no '10' …
sometimes adding "the new/old one" …

again, to compare with its tiny brother. iMovie-a = ≤06 and iMovie-b = ≥08 are both named 'iMovie' by Apple.-

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 24 Sep 2013 13:25 #31483

Karsten. Quicktime has be "deprecated" in Mavericks- but it has not gone away.

Someone else can jump in with a more detailed description, but my basic understanding is that deprecated means that it's no longer in active development. We've known for a while now that since FCPX launched, Apple has been shifting from QTkit to AV Foundation as the core for Video in Macs (and iOS). Quicktime will continue to exist as a format, but it will not be a core technology. Deprecated elements in Macs can stick around for years without being completely removed.

If FCP7 still works on Mavericks, then it will be at least Fall of 2014, when OSX 10.10 (or whatever it will be) is released, before anyone would have to worry that legacy FCP will no longer work.
Last Edit: 24 Sep 2013 13:26 by Disproportionate Pictures.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 24 Sep 2013 13:39 #31484

Disproportionate Pictures wrote:
Karsten. Quicktime has be "deprecated" in Mavericks- but it has not gone away.….

thanks for sharing some insights!…

Yesterday I 'inhaled' Larry's speech at Supermeet; in his intro, he mentioned criteria for professional work, one was 'speed'. If FCPX1.0 is as speed-optimised as everybody expects, by making use of graphic-cards as co-processors - 'cause of Mavericks and/or 'cause of 'hardwired' into its code, the reasons to use FC/pro as 'professional' tool get minimized.

… what will be obsolete faster - Quicktime-engine or FC/pro? :lol:
(rhetorical question!)

… best-of-all:
FCPX.09 runs here on my 6y old hobbyist MacMini! Tell this Windows/Premiere users .........

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 24 Sep 2013 14:35 #31487

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1279
Seanus wrote:

Amen!

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 24 Sep 2013 15:09 #31495

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60
The sooner Apple kills FCP7, the sooner people will have to make a decision. Or maybe Apple is concerned that FCP7 users won't update to Mavericks otherwise. Of course FCP7's continued serviceability may be completely coincidental. Personally anyone staying with FCP7 out of professional necessity should consider "freezing" their system.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 24 Sep 2013 15:17 #31496

Agreed- if you need to keep a 7 system around- lock it where it is.

Maybe Apple will let FCP7 hang on for a while longer, so that it DOESN'T force users to make an NLE switch choice while there are still perceived deficiencies in X; hence driving them to PP or AVID.

As long as there is such a large market of 7 users, those people are still up for grabs by everyone. But if Apple cuts off 7 support too soon and those people move to another NLE (or even away from Mac) then those customers are probably gone for at least 3-5 years (that's how long we stuck with Media100 before investing int the move over to FCP3)