Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 28 Nov 2013 09:51 #34807

Hi
not is another issue :)

New MacPro - to work with FCPX - better graphics or more processors? :)
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 28 Nov 2013 16:57 #34826

I just chatted with an Apple business rep. Considering what the individual components cost, and what some of the estimates were, I'm SHOCKED at how good the pricing is.

A MAXED OUT MacPro- 1TB SSD, 64GB RAM, D700s, and 12-core CPU is... CN$9,700.

I also had him price out a 8-core with the 500GB SSD- and that was CN$7,700.

I'm amazed.
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 28 Nov 2013 17:13 #34827

  • cseeman
  • cseeman's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 448
  • Thank you received: 37
  • Karma: 5
I do wonder about pricing on 8 and 12 core models although you've been told personally. Given how close to release, they haven't publicly posted pricing. I do wonder if the roll out will be in stages such that 8 and 12 core models may come later. No price and no "Coming in December" on the site.
Last Edit: 28 Nov 2013 17:14 by cseeman.
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 28 Nov 2013 17:16 #34828

@ceeman. Those ARE the prices. That's from Apple. The configuration options are showing up on their internal store.

There won't be any delay or roll out. I'd expect this to drop next week now.
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 28 Nov 2013 17:42 #34830

  • cseeman
  • cseeman's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 448
  • Thank you received: 37
  • Karma: 5
Disproportionate Pictures wrote:
@ceeman. Those ARE the prices. That's from Apple. The configuration options are showing up on their internal store.

There won't be any delay or roll out. I'd expect this to drop next week now.

Yet for one reason or another only the 4 and 6 core have been listed on Apple's website for some time. You have have real prices but it's clear that's a much more recent development than the 4 and 6 core… unless you think they've had a reason to withhold that pricing.
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 28 Nov 2013 17:48 #34831

I'm not sure why they've held back on configuration options. Perhaps Apple has been trying to decide just how cheap they could price the higher end CPU and GPU options.

I did find out that to max out the RAM from 16GB to 64GB will cost you $1,200. Which is in line with the iMac's 32GB for $600. In Canada anyway.
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 28 Nov 2013 17:53 #34832

For what it's worth. Philip Hodgetts is saying on Facebook that he'd be "very surprised if the next FCP X release is a paid upgrade.".
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 28 Nov 2013 22:58 #34838

  • jjsanderson
  • jjsanderson's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Posts: 164
  • Thank you received: 28
  • Karma: 7
Disproportionate Pictures wrote:
For what it's worth. Philip Hodgetts is saying on Facebook that he'd be "very surprised if the next FCP X release is a paid upgrade.".

This has come up on one of the email lists. As I recall, Philip's reasoning was (like mine) partly based on a misconception about how the Logic Pro upgrade was handled.

I think at this point we're basically all guessing. Anyone who isn't guessing - ie. who actually knows something - is keeping very quiet.

…though my guess remains that v10.1 won't be charged. Optimism, basically.
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 29 Nov 2013 00:45 #34840

  • pollux
  • pollux's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 149
  • Thank you received: 6
  • Karma: 0
I still believe 10.1 will be a free update, based on what Apple did with iLife and Mavericks
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 29 Nov 2013 15:05 #34868

  • alex4D
  • alex4D's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 396
  • Thank you received: 225
  • Karma: 32
I want it to be a full-price upgrade so that the new features Apple add for 10.0.9 users are equal to the value of whole application!

@Alex4D
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 29 Nov 2013 15:38 #34871

  • Habernigvideo
  • Habernigvideo's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 35
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Karma: 0
I like Alex4D's thinking but I have to agree with Phillip that 10.1 will be free. FCPX is a different app then fcp7, there was no upgrade pricing option from 7 like there have been in the past. Same thing with Logic X that's why there was a fee for X even if you already had 9. But we are treading into a new territory with online distribution of apps so my hypothesis could be wrong.

As for Motion, I think there will be a big feature, something ground breaking like 3D, similar to motionvfx's mObject or a more advanced physics engine like newton for After Effects. The "Design" animation that opened the most recent keynote and was roughly cheated/recreated in motion by Mark and Steve on a recent MacBreak Studio, Mark Spencer mentioned that the "Design" animation was not created in Motion. The "Design" clip can be found on Newton's page: Newton
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 29 Nov 2013 19:13 #34875

While I agree with Alex that maybe you'll feel like you're going to get more if you're paying that $299- perhaps Apple is taking at least part of the page from the free OS, free iLife/iWork apps; in that Apple is seeing value and profitability in terms of the whole stack, rather than on a product by product, app by app basis.

If FCPX drives people to upgrade hardware, then that will certainly be more profitable for them than $299 every 2 years.

That said, I still don't see apple "giving away" pro apps, or bundling them with hardware, like the others...

If you want FCPX (or Logic, or Motion, or Aperture) you're going to have to pay for it once at full price. After that... well- let's see what December brings.
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 29 Nov 2013 20:33 #34878

  • Scrubelicious
  • Scrubelicious's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 1030
  • Thank you received: 61
  • Karma: 25
I could see them doing the same tactic like on the iOS devices.
Buy the App that only works for certain hardware and the updates have to accomplished with upgrading hardware. Standard procedure in the iOS world.
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 29 Nov 2013 22:19 #34885

I think they'll accomplish that same thing by mandating minimum OSX requirements.

Though at this point if 10.1 was Mavericks only, I can't imagine it would be cutting too many FCPX users off hardware-wise, since 10.9 supports Macs all the way back to 2008.
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 29 Nov 2013 22:51 #34887

  • Dave_EP
  • Dave_EP's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 355
  • Thank you received: 34
  • Karma: 6
Disproportionate Pictures wrote:
I think they'll accomplish that same thing by mandating minimum OSX requirements.

Though at this point if 10.1 was Mavericks only, I can't imagine it would be cutting too many FCPX users off hardware-wise, since 10.9 supports Macs all the way back to 2008.

Hmmm….. I'm currently resisting Mavericks on my MacPro with the LTO drive because the archive software isn't mavericks compatible and I'm not ready to upgrade it :(

I guess this would force the issue, so if FCPX is a paid for upgrade then it's a double whammy.
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 29 Nov 2013 23:39 #34892

  • soarininmotion
  • soarininmotion's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 35
  • Thank you received: 3
  • Karma: -4
making it free would really upset and force a few fcpx competitors to change their business model. (how's that ever decreasing subscription fee working out for adobe?) not easy to just change programs on a whim but with the new apple hardware as an incentive to switch i reckon its possible it could be free. i do think the release will be a game changer one way or another. free with got to have features would be win-win for apple.
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 29 Nov 2013 23:43 #34893

  • CBlakeston
  • CBlakeston's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Senior Boarder
  • Posts: 78
  • Thank you received: 3
  • Karma: 0
We should all start speculating when it's going to drop? :)
Tues: 3rd
Tues: 10th
Tues: 17th ???
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 29 Nov 2013 23:46 #34894

  • daviddelreal
  • daviddelreal's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Posts: 170
  • Thank you received: 8
  • Karma: 3
CBlakeston wrote:
We should all start speculating when it's going to drop? :)
Tues: 3rd
Tues: 10th
Tues: 17th ???

1. I'm strongly hoping for...
2. The most probable date.
3. Too close to Christmas and end of year.
Last Edit: 29 Nov 2013 23:47 by daviddelreal.
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 29 Nov 2013 23:50 #34895

  • CBlakeston
  • CBlakeston's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Senior Boarder
  • Posts: 78
  • Thank you received: 3
  • Karma: 0
The 10th feels most likely - tho the 3rd would be awesome and give them more time to ship the Mac Pro for the holidays.
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 30 Nov 2013 07:56 #34904

  • Julian
  • Julian's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 335
  • Thank you received: 30
  • Karma: 4
Do any of you think apple will include new and updated effects and transitions? Maybe they'll announce an App Store and start it off with a few of their own apps. High hopes, but it would make life so much easier if everything was just stored in the cloud so I don't have to worry about saving them.
The topic has been locked.