Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 24 Sep 2013 15:37 #31497

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 59
I was thinking/hoping Apple had the confidence that FCPX "next" would move them to it... and a new MacPro maybe as well.

If I were dependent solely on FCP7 though I wouldn't consider updating to Mavericks even if it was working initially "out of the box." I just can't see a professional FCP7 user moving to Mavericks. It's just way too risky.
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 25 Sep 2013 03:54 #31511

• Darren Roark
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 61
It does work in Mavericks for me as well.

Considering this is the first time Apple has allowed two versions of any of their software to run on the same machine, I have to assume it is not in their best interest to cut off FCP 7 support anytime soon. Since you need FCP7 in order to open legacy projects as opposed to each new update in the past (3 to 4, 4 to 4.5, 5 to 6 etc) FCP could open the prior versions projects, it seems like 7 support is safe for a while at least.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 25 Sep 2013 10:45 #31523

• Chazfest
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
You know what'd be an awesome feature for a new FCPX? The ability to open legacy FCP projects. Going above the XML solution we currently have.
Even if it wasn't perfect; if it just allowed you to open a .fcp file, thus bringing in all sequences, converting bins to keywords etc.
This would be ace, because, despite the great addition of Intelligent Assistance's 7toX, this solution still requires the user to always have a copy of FCP7 running somewhere. And as we push forward with hardware and OS updates, there will inevitably come a time, not far from now, where we end up having to keep a dedicated machine solely for FCP7, that runs on a previous OS. And when that dies, what then? What happens when you no longer have a machine that runs that specific OS with FCP7, and, for whatever reason, you need to access that old project.
Food for thought.
October can't come soon enough :)

And on that note, is there any news on a date yet? I heard 19th Oct, from a software engineer . Nothing to back it up really. Just a hunch he had from his 'connections'...

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 25 Sep 2013 11:29 #31526

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 887
Although I agree this would be an awesome feature, I don't think it's going to happen. Because you don't really need to have FCP7 installed to open FCP7 projects in FCPX. You only need FCP7 to export the XML.

So just export every old FCP project you have as an XML and keep the XMLs saved somewhere. Whenever in the future you need to open one of these projects in FCPX: use 7toX to open the XML and the project will open in FCPX even if FCP7 is not installed on your system.

October is indeed a very probable time for the next update. But with Apple you never know. It could also be December, or tomorrow morning B)

- Ronny

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 25 Sep 2013 11:59 #31527

• Wardos
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Just to make it more exciting here :)

I think we should look at 10.1 as a change in the filesystem of it. Look at how event manager x is given away free at IBC and will be free after the new release.

So yeah.... :)

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 25 Sep 2013 12:41 #31530

ronny courtens wrote:
October is indeed a very probable time for the next update. But with Apple you never know. It could also be December, or tomorrow morning B)

- Ronny

Tomorrow is Thursday! No feature updates on Thursday's Ronny! :P

I agree that I think while FCP Legacy import would be nice, I just don't think it's going to happen. My guess would be that if Apple couldn't provide a perfect solution, they'd rather leave it to a 3rd party. Certainly no one could complain about how responsive Philip and AI have been with 7toX updates (25 updates since last January). Likely much faster than if Apple had implemented a similar solution.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 25 Sep 2013 12:43 #31531

Wardos wrote:
Just to make it more exciting here :)

I think we should look at 10.1 as a change in the filesystem of it. Look at how event manager x is given away free at IBC and will be free after the new release.

So yeah.... :)

I know that Philip was giving away copies of EMX at IBC. Who said it would be free after the next release?

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 25 Sep 2013 12:47 #31533

• Wardos
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I sure didn't :)

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 25 Sep 2013 12:50 #31534

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 887
Tomorrow is Thursday! No feature updates on Thursday's Ronny!

LOL!!!

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 25 Sep 2013 13:39 #31537

• Dave_EP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
Well, having shot and begun editing 8 corporate videos in the last 2 weeks if I could have just one feature added to FCPX it would be a "send to motion"! Please, pretty please. I know we haven't had it for two+ years now, but I really really want it. Pretty please (yes I've used the feedback form!).

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 25 Sep 2013 17:01 #31547

• tpayton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 135
Regardless of Event Manager X development, it seems that event and project management is something that I would guess would get some attention in the next version. I'm sure Apple knows it is broke as there were issue with it from Day 1, and hence Event Manger was released a few days after FCPX's release.

However, I must say that since FCPX release our projects are much more organized than they were in FCP7 days. Simply keeping everything copied to the event folder is wonderful. I still shudder when I have to open an old FCP7 project. Sparce disk images are fantastic too. The change of all the files still being accessible is about next to nill. However, opening old projects on FCPX from archive is cake. Everything is there. Well except for custom created motion templates. ;)

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 25 Sep 2013 18:11 #31551

Sort of tangental, but what the heck--

9to5mac just posted an article "Can Apple announce the rest of 2013's products in just one event?"

9to5mac.com/2013/09/25/can-apple-announc...s-in-just-one-event/

It does seem like a busy lineup, but I'm wondering if we'll see Apple dribble out Haswell Mac updates over the next few weeks [the MacMini, and unless there's something unique to highlight on stage, MacBookPros).

That would leave...

•iPad
•iPadMini
•Mavericks
•MacPro
•software
•AppleTV related stuff

I've said before I could see Apple releasing Mavericks BEFORE this event, so they can highlight adoption numbers.

At this consumer-focused event, I also don't see much time given to the MacPro- maybe release date.

And FCPX? Forget it.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 27 Sep 2013 13:18 #31638

• CBlakeston
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Is the general feeling of 10.10 / 10.1 being a free upgrade or an entirely new paid version?

I fully anticipate Aperture X to be a paid upgrade just like Logic X was, but can't think of another example of Apple software being a whole new purchase in the App Store.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 27 Sep 2013 13:19 #31639

• CBlakeston
  • Expert Boarder
Oh, except for OSX - just read Alex4ds blog post.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 27 Sep 2013 13:25 #31640

• Dave_EP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
CBlakeston wrote:
Oh, except for OSX - just read Alex4ds blog post.

iLife

iPhoto

iMovie

etc.

Personally I'd love it to be 10.0.10 and be a freebie, but if it's 10.1 and it has enough new features then the price is rational (as long as they don't hike it) because we used to pay this much for upgrades anyway.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 27 Sep 2013 13:59 #31643

CBlakeston wrote:
Is the general feeling of 10.10 / 10.1 being a free upgrade or an entirely new paid version?

If it's the big update that rumours are suggesting, count on it being paid. That way you can only be pleasantly surprised if it's otherwise.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 27 Sep 2013 14:00 #31644

• CBlakeston
  • Expert Boarder
Good point :)

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 27 Sep 2013 14:09 #31645

• Chazfest
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Personally I'm kinda hoping it'll be a paid update. Not from a financial perspective, but from a professional perspective. In terms of an improved feature set, under the hood tweaks, additional tools and workflow enhancements etc. Also, realistically, Apple can't and won't continue to update a pro app for free. There has to be a cut off point. Whether it's Apple, Avid, Adobe, SideFX, Maxon, The Foundry - they all need to make money somehow. It is, after all, a business. And I'd rather see a huge update than an incremental freebie tweak this time round.
So here's to something big :)

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 27 Sep 2013 14:09 #31646

• alex4D
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 250
Apple have been selling maintenance releases for 20+ seat installations of Final Cut Pro X for a while:

store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/product/D60...ts-price-is-per-seat

If you have 40 or 50 copies of Final Cut and then spent $399.99 for three years of upgrades for each copy, you'd be angry if a major upgrade for Final Cut is free, so it is very likely that Apple will charge for this update.

@Alex4D

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 27 Sep 2013 14:28 #31647

I think there's a lot to be excited about.

Mavericks and the MacPro definitely. Multi-screen improvements and Thunderbolt2, along with the possibility of 4K Cinema Displays.

Then there's the large, mysterious FCPX update looming- which is likely less than 30 days from release and we will probably know absolutely nothing about until it pops up on the appStore. Besides whatever improvements included in the software itself, hopefully we'll see LogicProX style iPad support, AND hopefully better cross workflow with Logic itself.

A possible Motion update, bringing with it again better FCPX integration, along with MotionVFXs November release of m3D which will make me VERY happy.

Very looking forward to what October brings...