Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: FCPX 10.1.2 POST-RELEASE DISCUSSION

FCPX 10.1.2 POST-RELEASE DISCUSSION 30 Jun 2014 20:34 #48941

• moviestim
  • Fresh Boarder
  • My Favorite number is 11.
  • Thank you received: 1
I've been editing a project shot on the ARRI ALEXA, for some reason I can no longer turn on and off Log Processing, in the settings section of the info tab. I read something about the log processing being changed in the notes but I can't figure out what changed.

Anyone else have this problem?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

FCPX 10.1.2 POST-RELEASE DISCUSSION 30 Jun 2014 20:39 #48944

• Darren Roark
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 61
My audio mixed asked me if I developed OCD when I blind delivered my first XtoPro AAF. He was quite pleased, but said he was still going to charge me the same rate. Rats!

How useful are roles for picture in Resolve once it is converted to a track based timeline? Xto7 does a pretty good job of keeping everything tidy on the picture side. Audio can get pretty nutty, so having X2Pro handle that is a good thing.

FCPX 10.1.2 POST-RELEASE DISCUSSION 01 Jul 2014 00:54 #48971

I'm not sure how Roles translate into Resolve- I'm actually not really worried about that- I'll probably do a Duplicate Project just for the Resolve export, which will contain an audio mix down. No need to make things too complicated.

I'm motivated to go the X2Pro/AAF route because I've thus far avoided installing FCP7 on my new MacPro, and I'm not motivated to get Logic until I see a clear advantage from a audio post perspective.

Mixes I do on my own are usually pretty simple and I just do them in X- anything beyond that is going to someone else cause they're better than I am! ;)

FCPX 10.1.2 POST-RELEASE DISCUSSION 01 Jul 2014 01:57 #48976

Via a post on the BlackMagic forums, it appears Resolve 10.1.5 WILL NOT import FCPXML from 10.1.2. Message apparently reads-
The current XML version is 1.4. DaVinci Resolve supports Final Cut Pro X XML versions 1.2 and 1.3. If you wish to continue click OK.

Yup. I'm stuck for now! :(

FCPX 10.1.2 POST-RELEASE DISCUSSION 01 Jul 2014 02:04 #48977

• Darren Roark
  • Platinum Boarder
The great thing about Xto7 is you don't actually need FCP7 to make it useful. Both PP and Resolve can import the XML, no need to even have FCP7 installed on the machine. That app is so much more useful than just going from X to 7. The XML RT in Resolve has never really been that stable coming directly from X. Especially if there is anything complicated going on.

I expect that to change with Resolve 11, but it's not there yet in this beta.

Like you said, make a "To Resolve" copy of the project, use Xto7 and then check to see if everything matches your rendered reference file in Resolve Lite. If it does, then the AAF from XtoPro will 99.999999% be spot on.

FCPX 10.1.2 POST-RELEASE DISCUSSION 01 Jul 2014 02:13 #48978

I'm doing tests out from 10.1.1 to Resolve 10.1.5- so far my edits have been coming thru fine, except maybe having to change the alpha mode of some graphic transitions.

Would the Xto7 conversion work with my R3D files, considering it can't handle them natively? What about Synchronized Clips?

I'm just not sure why I'm worried at all about audio into Resolve, beyond a baseline reference track. What do they care?

FCPX 10.1.2 POST-RELEASE DISCUSSION 01 Jul 2014 02:28 #48979

• Darren Roark
  • Platinum Boarder
It just worked great with Red footage, Xto7, then resolve 10. No FCP7 involved. I don't think the file format matters in the XML process, as long as FCPX and the target app, in this case Resolve can handle it, it doesn't matter to Xto7.

Yeah, baked down audio is all they need in resolve, unless there will be changes that is.

I'm hoping you aren't stuck in 10.1.1 for the remainder of that job! It's been a huge help on some bigger projects I'm working on.

FCPX 10.1.2 POST-RELEASE DISCUSSION 01 Jul 2014 02:35 #48980

Well, I'm setting up a test machine- so maybe I'll test

10.1.2 XML EXPORT-->Xto7-->Resolve 10.1.5

and see what I get vs my existing

10.1.1 FCPXML EXPORT--> Resolve 10.1.5

if there's no downside, then I (and the other two editors working with me who are chomping at the bit) would love to upgrade.

Especially now that Apple has released OSX 10.9.4, which apparently solves a bunch of Resolve issues with MacPros.

PS- This job won't finish until the end of November- that would just be depressing... (and we'd probably be due for another update!) :lol:
Last Edit: 01 Jul 2014 02:39 by Disproportionate Pictures.

FCPX 10.1.2 POST-RELEASE DISCUSSION 01 Jul 2014 10:59 #48986

• Seanus
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Sean Lander - Rednail Media
  • Thank you received: 75
X2Pro Audio Convert has been updated to work with XML 1.4

Haven't had a chance to test it yet.
Sean Lander - Editing since 1982 - AVID 1991 - FCP 1999 - FCPX 2011

FCPX 10.1.2 POST-RELEASE DISCUSSION 01 Jul 2014 11:50 #48989

• alex4D
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 250
After playing around with 10.1.2 (a little), I can still open my copy of 10.1.1 and go back to existing projects. It's a matter of determining which is less buggy for you. Some say that 10.1.1 is the buggiest version so far - I haven't had any problems.

Just make sure you backup libraries before updating them with 10.1.2. You can't go back and open updated libraries in 10.1.1 (unless you use a combination of Xto7 and 7toX I suppose).

That's a cool aspect of Final Cut Pro X, installing new versions doesn't preclude using older versions on long-running shows.

@Alex4D

FCPX 10.1.2 POST-RELEASE DISCUSSION 01 Jul 2014 12:58 #48992

• Seanus
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Sean Lander - Rednail Media
  • Thank you received: 75
Haven't had the need to push 10.1.2 as hard as I pushed 10.1.1 but so far it seems much better and one hell of a lot faster! But good to know you can always step back if you come up against a showstopper.
Sean Lander - Editing since 1982 - AVID 1991 - FCP 1999 - FCPX 2011

FCPX 10.1.2 POST-RELEASE DISCUSSION 01 Jul 2014 13:00 #48993

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 171
For those using 10.1.2 I'd appreciate your opinions.
I wrap shooting a family project that is a MTV style musical in a couple of days, so technically mid project. So far no real editing other than some green screen tests and D&D dallies. Will start editing next week.
This project involves multiple cams including lots of iPhones, 2 crews of various capabilities, and lots of short takes.
Been importing daily into ssd media drive, archiving and backing up to hdd and cloned to another drive. The system drive (rMBP flash) is Time Machined and cloned separately.
Wondering about upgrading from 10.1.1 to .2? How safe?
There are some added features with keywords/tags and auditions, audio improvements that would appear to be helpful for my current project. Wouldn't mind speed improvements as well.
Given 10.1.2 has lots of bug fixes and not major upgrade and where I at in terms of production (just logging so far) should I push the update button? The rebuilding of library has me a bit concerned.
Thanks everyone, Greg

FCPX 10.1.2 POST-RELEASE DISCUSSION 01 Jul 2014 13:30 #48994

• Soundwise
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 39
Didn't notice this in earlier versions, but if you keep pressing cmd+z, you can "skim" through your undo queue quickly and vice versa pressing shift+cmd+z brings you back to present state. I like it.

FCPX 10.1.2 POST-RELEASE DISCUSSION 01 Jul 2014 13:36 #48995

• DmitriZigany
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
So far so good for me! Looks solid. First time I opened 10.1.2 it crashed while "loading mGlitch". The second and subsequent times theres been no problems.
And it fixed my garbled font list issue! (see seperate thread)

Doing first proper edit session with it today so we'll see how it holds up when the going gets rough ;)

FCPX 10.1.2 POST-RELEASE DISCUSSION 01 Jul 2014 13:41 #48996

• Dawar
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
I think it’s a feature, not a bug :
in a dual-display setup, when viewing playback on a 2nd display in full screen mode, the primary display is no more black, so we can still operate in timeline or in event browser, skim, mark... etc.
I remember having asked for that in a feedback. I like this.

FCPX 10.1.2 POST-RELEASE DISCUSSION 01 Jul 2014 14:08 #48999

MotionVFX has released an update for mFlare that they addresses an issue with 10.1.2.

FCPX 10.1.2 POST-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Jul 2014 15:06 #49051

• JPM Editor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
In 10.1.1 in a single monitor system, we could use the following commands while in Full Screen mode:
- Space bar for play/stop.
- J-K-L for playback.
- Up/Down Arrows (previous/next edit).
- Home and End keys (First and last frame)
- I/O keys (Set Range Start/End)
- Shift+ I/O (Go to Range Start/End): these two didn’t work when watching the timeline full screen, only when watching Event items at full screen.

Now, in 10.1.2 the following commands don't work anymore:
· I/O keys (Set Range Start/End)
· Shift+ I/O (Go to Range Start/End). Not even when watching event items at full screen.

I don't know if this is a bug or just a feature that Apple decided to drop in 10.1.2. If so, it's a pity because I actually expected a few minor improvements of the Full Screen mode to be implemented sooner or later:
- A preference to "Activate/deactivate automatic playback when going Full Screen". Right now, it is defaulted to automatic playback (in fact, the command is called “Play Full Screen”). This is good for speed, but not so good when you just want to watch the frame where the playhead is parked at full screen.
- A "Toggle between Event Viewer and Timeline Viewer" command for frame comparison at Full Screen. ·
- Allow "Go to Previous/Next Marker" command to work at Full Screen.
- Better On Screen indicators in FS mode: we can see the overlays for Previous and Next clip, and also for Beginning and End, but we don't get any visual feedback when setting a Range Start or End, nor when we Stop at a Marker.

It's a pity that instead of gaining functionality in this regard we have lost a bit in the latest update. But maybe this is for a reason.
Dawar wrote:
I think it’s a feature, not a bug :
in a dual-display setup, when viewing playback on a 2nd display in full screen mode, the primary display is no more black, so we can still operate in timeline or in event browser, skim, mark... etc.
I remember having asked for that in a feedback. I like this.

It seems like the full screen behavior has been improved when working with a secondary screen. I can't test this because I'm on a single screen setup right now.

Anyway, I was wondering if this change in the behavior of Full Screen mode might mean that Apple is going to release a new 4K Thunderbolt display soon? Maybe they want to sell more of them?
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es
Last Edit: 02 Jul 2014 15:10 by JPM Editor.

FCPX 10.1.2 POST-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Jul 2014 15:12 #49053

• TGC
  • Senior Boarder
  • Commercials, music video & film editor at Trim
  • Thank you received: 8
Has this actually changed? I/O keys (Set Range Start/End) doesn't work in my version of 10.1.1 when in full screen playback mode.

FCPX 10.1.2 POST-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Jul 2014 15:15 #49054

• Rvdenmark
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
For the past four days I have been working on a 1 hour episode for Danish TV. The Library consists of 809 media files (roughly 18 hours of material) all transcoded to ProRes 422. More than 80 percent of the files are multi cam.

I am working from a local attached Promise Pegasus2 R6 using my own iMac 27” 3.4 i7 SSD, 32 gigs RAM.
Also I have updated to Mavericks 10.9.4.

I must say there is a noticeably difference in speed from ver 10.1.1. The timeline is extremely responsive and moving between Event files and the timeline works perfectly. I am still amazed how fast FCPX reacts as soon as the cursor hits a file.

When fine tuning clips in the timeline FCPX is super fast. There is no where near as much lag as in previous versions. The playhead and skimmer reacts instantly.
I have discovered (I have heard this before) that keeping the Inspector closed actually improves speed in the time line significantly. So now it is just a part of my workflow alway to leave the inspector closed and toggle between open and closed as needed.

I have also tried moving both Library XML and Project XML around between machines and this XML really works! I have had absolutely no problems with XML.

All in all I am VERY pleased with this release of FCPX.

Just for fun here's a grab of my timeline.

-RYAN
TIMELINE.jpg

FCPX 10.1.2 POST-RELEASE DISCUSSION 02 Jul 2014 15:17 #49056

• JPM Editor
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
TGC wrote:
Has this actually changed? I/O keys (Set Range Start/End) doesn't work in my version of 10.1.1 when in full screen playback mode.

Umm, strange. Now I'm on 10.1.2 so I can't verify this. But I'd swear it worked in my version of 10.1.1. I remember writing it down after experimenting with this commands at full screen in a text document where I keep my notes and tricks about FCPX.
Jesús Pérez-Miranda
Cut People CEO & Founder
www.cutpeople.es
Last Edit: 02 Jul 2014 15:18 by JPM Editor.