Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Unsharp mask/Post sharpening

Unsharp mask/Post sharpening 08 Nov 2011 04:02 #2069

• joshd97
  • Fresh Boarder
I shoot on a Canon T3i with the sharpness set to zero. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to sharpen in post in FCPX? There's no unsharp mask and when I use the sharpening effect I get a halo around the edges.
Thanks!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Unsharp mask/Post sharpening 08 Nov 2011 05:07 #2071

• ronny courtens
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 578
Sharpening can be tricky, also with an Unsharp Mask filter. If you are going to need this on a regular basis I think it pays off to get a specialized plugin to do this kind of work.

I have achieved really decent results with the video noise reduction plugins from Magic Bullet and Neat video. Unfortunately neither MB or Neat have updated their plugins for FCPX yet. But they are working hard to get there, so we may expect them soon. However, the Neat filter already works with Motion 5. If you have Motion 5 alongside FCPX I would advise you to check the plugin here:

www.neatvideo.com/

Re: Unsharp mask/Post sharpening 08 Nov 2011 05:25 #2073

• ronny courtens
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 578
Oh yes I nearly forgot: if you do have Motion 5, this has an Unsharp Mask filter.

If you don't have Motion you also might check the Coremelt plugin package which has recently been updated for FCPX. Besides some really cool effects filters the CM package also has a Noise Limiter filter that does e decent job. I haven't updated my CM plugs for FCPX yet but I have used them extensively in FCP7 and Motion and they are a great value for their money.

Another great package is FxFactory Pro. This package includes a Noise reduction filter as well as 5 Sharpen filters and it works in FCPX.

Re: Unsharp mask/Post sharpening 08 Nov 2011 23:32 #2090

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 811
CoreMelt Pigment also has a "Purple Frindge Reduction" filter that may help also.

Re: Unsharp mask/Post sharpening 14 Nov 2011 22:04 #2165

• goestas
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I'd also recommend the modestly priced Mlooks (and mlooks2), grading presets for FCP X, built in Motion, which include some presets (such as "Sharp") that apply adjustable sharpening as part of the effect. For Conduit users, my toolset has luma sharpening and edge enhancement.

Re: Unsharp mask/Post sharpening 14 Nov 2011 22:06 #2166

• joshd97
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the good tips!
I appreciate them!