Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: BUG: "Used Media" issue (Reproduced, Workaround)

BUG: "Used Media" issue (Reproduced, Workaround) 20 Feb 2015 15:15 #60099

• deaky
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Ok, so I'm in FCPX 10.1.4 and I have a library, with a bunch of events with media, and a few projects. This was all created recently with 10.1.4.

In my project called "Test1" I have edited in a bunch of clips from various events all within this library. However, looking at it today, none of the clips in the browser are shown as "Used" - they don't have orange used media ranges or the "Used" keyword, and the smart collection for used media doesn't pick them up, even though those clips are in fact in the current open project.

If I select one of the clips in the project, and do a Shift-F (Reveal In Browser) then the appropriate clip is selected as expected in the browser, so FCPX knows that the clip in the project is in the browser and which event it's from, but for some reason it isn't flagging those clips as "Used" internally in it's database I suppose.

if I now edit in a clip from the browser into the project, that clip from then on shows correctly as used and updates it's used media range. It's just I my project for some reason has all those things broken.

Anyone seen this, or have a clue how it happened - and more importantly, how to fix it? I don't want to have to replace every edited clip in the timeline from the browser again - it would mean going through hundreds of clips, matching in and outs points, and replacing them one by one which will take all day...

Edit: I'm thinking that this might be related to importing a project from XML. If I export a project to xml, and later reimport it, does this break the used media relationships?

Edit2: Hmm, just did a quick test, edited in a couple of clips to a new project, exported to xml, reimported to new project, and the Used Media relationships are intact as I'd expect. So at least an XML roundtrip doesn't break the used media data. So what did..?

Thanks,
Last Edit: 21 Feb 2015 19:02 by deaky.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

"Used Media" issue 20 Feb 2015 15:45 #60101

• bobmax48
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
I have the same problem here too and have not found a solution. It must be a bug or I am doing something totally wrong.

"Used Media" issue 20 Feb 2015 16:12 #60104

• deaky
  • Fresh Boarder
bobmax48 wrote:
I have the same problem here too and have not found a solution. It must be a bug or I am doing something totally wrong.

Thanks for the note - yes, it might well be a bug in the media handling. If I'd noticed it earlier I might have been able to attach a cause and try and find a reproducible case.

I'll keep an eye on it, and perhaps after this edit is over I'll go and do some tests to see whether I can reproduce it. It's a bit annoying, as I could really have used the "Show Used" clips features on this edit, but I'll have to live without them and just get on with it...

"Used Media" issue 20 Feb 2015 16:27 #60107

• lichinho
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60
View->Show Used Media Ranges

"Used Media" issue 20 Feb 2015 16:58 #60108

• deaky
  • Fresh Boarder
lichinho wrote:
View->Show Used Media Ranges

This is not an issue of whether used media ranges are visible or not.

This is an issue where used media *has no used media ranges* info at all, even though it should do.

Show used media ranges is turned on, and there *should* be an orange used bar on my clips, and those clips *should* be listed when you do a smart filter on used media - but none of this happens for this project.

Basically, FCP doesn't know that that clip in the browser is "used" in the project loaded in the timeline, even though it is (and even though you can match frame in the timeline back to the same clip in the event browser).
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2015 17:00 by deaky.

"Used Media" issue 20 Feb 2015 17:00 #60109

• bobmax48
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
The setting View -> Show Used Media Ranges is already checked. In one project with 20 clips only one clip is showing as being used in the project.

"Used Media" issue 20 Feb 2015 17:02 #60110

• deaky
  • Fresh Boarder
bobmax48 wrote:
The setting View -> Show Used Media Ranges is already checked. In one project with 20 clips only one clip is showing as being used in the project.

In your case, with just a handful of clips, the workaround for me would be simply to replace the existing clips in the timeline with the same clips again from the browser - this time, the "used" data will update in FCPX's internal database and behave as you'd expect.

(Though of course, I'd still like to understand what causes this to break).

Obviously, this "workaround" doesn't scale well on a larger project! :ohmy:
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2015 17:03 by deaky.

"Used Media" issue 20 Feb 2015 18:44 #60122

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 887
I cannot replicate this problem. Delete your preferences and see if this solves your issue.

If this does not help please send feedback to Apple with your exact system specifications.

- Ronny

"Used Media" issue 20 Feb 2015 19:08 #60128

• deaky
  • Fresh Boarder
ronny courtens wrote:
I cannot replicate this problem. Delete your preferences and see if this solves your issue.

Thanks Ronny - I did try this without any success - the issue is really a Library issue and preferences are unlikely to affect this (but of course, these things are always worth trying to rule them out).

ronny courtens wrote:
If this does not help please send feedback to Apple with your exact system specifications.

Yep, as I said above, when I'm done with the project and have some time I'll try and see if I can find a way to reproduce this, as I have no idea how it happened - just all of a sudden, FCPX has forgotten that the media is currently used in the open project, even thought I can match frame from the clips back to the media in the browser.

Given that someone else has experienced the same issue suggests it's not something that's a really obscure thing, though.

In the meantime if anyone else has any suggestions of how it might be fixed, or if they've experienced the same thing, please do add to the post as it will help to try and track down what's going on here...
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2015 19:08 by deaky.

"Used Media" issue 20 Feb 2015 20:08 #60131

• deaky
  • Fresh Boarder
Ok - I think I have a 100% reproducible case that causes this.

Bear with me, will check and document here shortly...

"Used Media" issue 20 Feb 2015 20:21 #60133

• deaky
  • Fresh Boarder
So, for those interested, could you please follow these steps to illustrate what happens and see whether you can reproduce the issue.

(My specs: FCPX 10.1.4, OSX 10.9.5, MBP Late 2011, 16GB Ram)

- Open a library that has some media in it for testing
- Create a new project ("test1")
- Verify "View -> Show Used Media Ranges" is turned on
- Go to an event, choose a clip, make a small selection, and hit E to drop it into the project timeline
- Select the clip in the timeline, Shift-F to match frame in the browser. Verify the source clip is selected in the browser ok, and check you can see the orange "used media range" bars are there in the source clip (we will be keeping an eye on this throughout the next steps)

- Select the clip in the timeline again. Watch the source clip in the browser, and Command-X to cut it from the timeline. As the clip is cut from the timeline, the orange used media bars will go away (as expected).
- Command-V to past the clip back in again - verify the orange used media range returns to the source clip in the browser

Ok. We can see that the media ranges are preserved when you cut/paste (and move clips between projects and so forth).

- Select the clip in the timeline again.
- Open the Timeline Index
- ** Change the name of the clip in the timeline index
- Verify that the orange media range bars are still shown in the browser, and we can still match to the source frame, just to show the name change shouldn't affect the link
- Command-X the clip to cut it from the timeline. Verify the orange used media bars go away (as expected as the media is no longer used in the timeline)
- Command-V to paste the clip back into the timeline again

At this point, the clip is back in the timeline, *but the orange used media range* on the source clip *does not return*.

At this point, the clip has lost it's used media tagging, and the show used media filters and related functions no longer work on the clip. The browser has lost the data that tells it the clip is used, and therefore it thinks it is unused.

So, in summary, changing a clip name in the timeline, and copy/pasting the clip in the same timeline or between different projects timeline will break the used media relationships for that clip from then on.

Quick video demonstrating this:
Used media issue (5.4MB)

Note: Interestingly, after the renamed clip has "lost" the used media ranges - if you change the name back to what the clip was called originally, the used media ranges do not come back immediately, but if you cut that clip from the timeline then re-paste it, the used media range *comes back*.

So, a workaround is to rename the clips back to the original name, then cut/paste them and the used media info should come back - which is a decent enough workaround for now, as it's a simple procedure rather than replacing all the clips in a timeline independently.
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2015 20:41 by deaky.

"Used Media" issue 20 Feb 2015 20:43 #60134

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 887
Hi Des,

I can reproduce this issue, both on Mavericks and Yosemite running on different systems.

I will submit a full report, please do the same. Thank you for pointing this out.

- Ronny

"Used Media" issue 20 Feb 2015 20:53 #60135

• deaky
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for verifying that Ronny.

What it looks like is happening is that somewhere in the used media range code to determine what ranges should be displayed, FCPX is doing a clip name check as part of the matching procedure.

If the clip has been renamed in the timeline (which is a valid thing to do), the used media range code misses that and therefore doesn't see the source clip as being used in the timeline. I think this qualifies as a bug as FCPX still knows which clip is being used, it just doesn't update the used media display if the name is different to the source clip.

In my case, I was using prefixes to the clip names in the timeline as a way of identifying and sorting different types of clips, and using the notes field for additional notes. From now on (until this issue is fixed at least) I will only use the notes column and avoid renaming clips in the timeline.

Edit: And I've now fixed my timeline successfully in the manner described - renaming the clips back to the original name (ie, removing the prefix) and simply cutting and pasting back groups of clips until they were all updated - now all the used media displays and used media smart filters are all working as expected and all my used clips are showing up. Good stuff! B)
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2015 22:23 by deaky.

BUG: "Used Media" issue (Reproduced, Workaround) 08 Nov 2019 16:32 #102536

• NoSpHieL
  • Fresh Boarder
Ok, this post is really old but yet, i have the same problem. And the walkthrough detailled upper doesn't help since I didn't rename any files...

Indeed, it never really worked for me (5 years using fcpx).
Neither by filtering the library or by showing the golden bars on the medias themselves...

I didn't know this funccion would be so important until now, thar i'm starting to work on documentaries and long edits...

Anybody can help with this issue plz?
Thank you