Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: USB-C to Firewire?

USB-C to Firewire? 06 Nov 2016 03:08 #82275

• CBlakeston
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
How would I connect firewire to the new MacBook Pro? I occasionally need to do so to capture from older Sony decks. (though i'm keeping my old MBP around so not the end of the world for now)

I have an Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter. Would it be as simple as plugging that into an Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter?
Last Edit: 06 Nov 2016 07:23 by CBlakeston.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

USB-C to Firewire? 06 Nov 2016 06:14 #82277

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 677
Apple has a USBC to FireWire adapter

www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/product/MD464L...ire-adapter?fnode=8b

You'd need a FW400 to 800 cable, which you could probably still find.

USB-C to Firewire? 06 Nov 2016 07:20 #82278

• CBlakeston
  • Expert Boarder
That's not USB-C. That's the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter I already have and use currently.

Thunderbolt 1 uses the Display Port shape connector. Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) on the new MacBook Pro is a USB-C shape connector.

I'm suggesting plugging the adapter you linked to (which I have) into the adapter to fit the new MBP. Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter.

www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/product/MMEL2A...hunderbolt-2-adapter
Last Edit: 06 Nov 2016 07:25 by CBlakeston.

USB-C to Firewire? 06 Nov 2016 07:32 #82279

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 677
Apologies I thought they had a direct cable. You could linked the adapters together but I wouldn't use FCP. Try the QuickTime player. It's more forgiving.

USB-C to Firewire? 06 Nov 2016 07:34 #82280

• CBlakeston
  • Expert Boarder
It currently works perfectly in FCPX with tape controls and everything.

I'm suggesting linking the adapters together. Presumably it will either work or it won't being a hardware thing. I don't see why it would work with some software and not others?

I'd prefer to know for sure rather than dropping £49 on the cable just in case. Well, £29 with the current discount.
Last Edit: 06 Nov 2016 07:36 by CBlakeston.

USB-C to Firewire? 06 Nov 2016 07:40 #82281

• CBlakeston
  • Expert Boarder
Found the answer in an Apple support doc. Yes, but only devices that draw under 10W. As my deck plugs into the wall for power I presume thats ok.

support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207266

USB-C to Firewire? 06 Nov 2016 18:21 #82302

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
Keep in mind that Apple is a dongle company. It Just Works... with a Dongle.

Use the above linked Firewire to Thunderbolt dongle.

Then use a Thunderbolt to USB-C dongle.

www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2/thunder...t-2-adapter?fnode=4c

Apple has the dongle market cornered. More coming soon!
Last Edit: 06 Nov 2016 18:22 by Redifer.

USB-C to Firewire? 06 Nov 2016 20:43 #82306

• CBlakeston
  • Expert Boarder
Thank you for confirming my solution but thats not true now is it.. There's really no need to be snarky. If you don't like it don't buy one. Simple as that!

USB-C to Firewire? 07 Nov 2016 00:04 #82313

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
I am free to make fun of what Apple has become. We all should. If we only gush praise upon them, then they will never improve.

USB-C to Firewire? 07 Nov 2016 00:10 #82314

• CBlakeston
  • Expert Boarder
Kinda getting off topic. You can make fun of Apple in other threads. If you don't like it. Buy Dell.

USB-C to Firewire? 07 Nov 2016 01:52 #82316

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 358
I doubt Apple will change just because a few guys crack jokes on a forum.

USB-C to Firewire? 07 Nov 2016 02:01 #82318

• CBlakeston
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1998 iMac release. No floppy drive. Everyone freaks. Apple's changed. Boo Apple.
  • 2008 Macbook Air release. No DVD drive or firewire. Everyone freaks. Apple's changed. Boo Apple.
  • 2016 MacBook Pro release. Only Thunderbolt 3 ports. Everyone freaks. Apple's changed. Boo Apple.

Apple hasn't changed. They're the same they've always been. Its just with each progression entitled folk on the internet have a louder voice to bitch about how apple 'owes' them.
Last Edit: 07 Nov 2016 03:41 by CBlakeston.

USB-C to Firewire? 07 Nov 2016 03:24 #82319

• cofe
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Sorry to be off topic but I just read this great article which sheds some light on why Apple again invests in the future rather than the past: au.pcmag.com/laptops/29054/feature/what-is-usb-c-an-explainer

Guess we all have to live with a few dongles now, but not for long.

PS have you considered one off the hubs? I haven't studied what's out there but maybe there is one which also gives you firewire in addition to maybe standard usb and the like?
Last Edit: 07 Nov 2016 03:26 by cofe. Reason: forgot something

USB-C to Firewire? 07 Nov 2016 03:39 #82320

• CBlakeston
  • Expert Boarder
No USB-C hub has FireWire to my knowledge. Hubs are a minefield if you read the Amazon reviews. So are most cables. Some will actually break your device because they try to draw too much power. Some may have 3 USB ports but only power one hard drive. Others don't work with certain brands of hard drives at alll. There's a ton of mis-informion about USB-C out there and the tech press isn't helping.

The article you link to is a perfect example. The new MacBooks don't have USB-C ports. They have Thunderbolt 3 ports with USB-C. It's an important distinction.

If anyone is reading this and wants to play it safe. Stick to official branded adapters like Apple or Belkin. I've actually skipped dongles for most of my stuff and bought replacement belkin leads entirely with USB-C on the end.
Last Edit: 07 Nov 2016 03:40 by CBlakeston.

USB-C to Firewire? 07 Nov 2016 19:27 #82363

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185
Hi Colin
As to your original question, can you piggyback the 2 adapters together (Thunderbolt3 to Thunderbolt 2) and (Thunderbolt 2 to Firewire 800) for FW connectivity, the answer is YES. At least so long as you use Apple's adapters.
And yes there are hubs that are Mac compatible that have Firewire connectors like the soon to be released OWC USB-C 13 port hub. (Weirdly this hub only supports USB 3 gen 1 (5GB/s not gen 2 10GB/s) but has FW800 port.

Other things, Apple actually uses the Mini Display Port (MDP) not the standard Display Port for ThunderBolt 1 & 2. And to add to the level of confusion, some of the early Macs only had Display Port protocols and not TB, while later models supported both DP and TB some TB1 and some TB2. Confused yet? The chipsets and active cable actually supported DP via multiplexing DP over TB, on a MDP connector. Huh?

The physical USB-C port is defined as a connector that supports many different protocols. Personally, I use the designation as USB-C with support for various protocols. What protocols it supports is dependent on the computer side chipset, the target device chipset, the cable and various firmware/software along the entire chain.

This is already a world of vast confusion. Bound to get worse.

IMHO Intel and tech writers are wrong to call the port itself ThunderBolt3 port, it isn't, it is a USB-C port that supports the TB3 protocol under Alternative Mode inside the USB-C specifications. Intel makes it seem that it is they who created the physical port and are including USB instead of it being a USB implementers specification that allows TB and other protocols.
Should we call the same USB-C port Display Port; HDMI; USB 3.1 gen 1 or 2; USB 2 or 1.1; Audio Only; or even Power Delivery, if that is the protocol that is being used or supported? Take Apple's own MacBook with USB-C connector that does not support any TB protocols and only supports USB 3.1 gen 1. not even gen 2.

OK, so we are in a world of a physical port being many things but maybe not all things(protocols) capable. Add to this that the entire chain of connections, cables and devices must all be capable of the desired end game in order to work.

So far the best writing on this I have found are these articles…
blog.fosketts.net/2016/10/29/total-night...usb-c-thunderbolt-3/
blog.fosketts.net/2016/10/30/2016-macboo...bolt-survival-guide/
tidbits.com/article/16870
There are others as well, but as you can see, just looking at the port will in no way tell you what it supports.

If all this isn't bad enough, not all USB-C devices are supported on Macs including TB3 chipsets. Intel licenses the technology and different manufactures have to include Mac support. Some chipsets just don't. (This is often firmware). Intel has a least 3 versions of TB3 chipsets/controllers and Apple even includes some unique firmware codes to prevent malware attacks via TB and PCIe lanes. TB opened up the possibility of low level system attacks which Apple is attempting to prevent. Remember that most TB cables are active cables with chips included in the cable itself. TB3 also has a passive cable mode that limits speed and length, just attempting to hurt your confused brain here :silly:

Well anyway, just my 2 cents that the port itself should be called USB-C with whatever protocols it supports, not by the protocol itself. It is ThunderBolt delivered via USB-C, not USB-C delivered via TB. USB-C actually reserves certain pins and wires exclusively for USB and provides additional pins and wires for alternative mode with a data pin(s) that determine what protocols are being accessed.

Hope this helps, Greg
p.s. Take 2 aspirin and don't call me in the morning.

USB-C to Firewire? 07 Nov 2016 19:34 #82364

• CBlakeston
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the detailed reply. Amazing work and collection of info :)

Good call on the OWC hub though I believe it doesn't ship till February 2017 and seems suited to a desk / workstation environment. Tho i'm a throw dongles in a bag kinda guy :)

I was using the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) name as thats what Apple's official name for their port is. And thought that might help with anyone looking for info on it :)
Last Edit: 07 Nov 2016 19:37 by CBlakeston.

USB-C to Firewire? 07 Nov 2016 19:55 #82367

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
FCPX.guru wrote:
I doubt Apple will change just because a few guys crack jokes on a forum.

One guy on a forum, no. But lots of people on the internet in general? Yes. Y'all take things far too personally.

By the way, Apple lowered the prices of their dongles recently directly due to backlash on the internet. See? It works. www.macrumors.com/2016/11/04/apple-drops...s-on-usb-c-adapters/
Last Edit: 07 Nov 2016 19:56 by Redifer.

USB-C to Firewire? 15 Nov 2016 06:47 #82777

• Mekenty
  • Fresh Boarder
I am using ESEEKGO USB type c cable, which is charge fast and you can have a try. :woohoo: