Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist)

Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist) 21 Dec 2011 20:27 #2718

• coffee_king
  • Junior Boarder
Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist)

I am now seriously annoyed at this.
All of my Events and Project Librarys are missing when I load up Final Cut Pro X. As its loading the splash screen it spins through that its reading the event library, restoring windows etc etc
But when its fully loaded up there are NO Events or Projects listed.
Can anyone advise what to do here?

Previous to this I had a solution where I kept rebooting the computer until they finally all showed up in FCPX again, but this has now completely stopped working.

All of my files still exist correctly, but its just like FCPX doesn't see them (they are all sitting on my internal HD)

I have files called

CurrentVersion.fcpevent

sitting in
Movies>Final Cut Events>(Name of Event)

and files called

CurrentVersion.fcpproject

Sitting in
Movies>Final Cut Projects> (Name of project)

All of my video media exists in
Movies>Final Cut Events>Name of Project>
Original Media
in their individual folders

If I double click from Finder and try to open a
CurrentVersion.fcpevent

I get the pop up
The document “CurrentVersion.fcpevent” could not be opened.

If I double click from Finder and try to open a
CurrentVersion.fcpproject

I get the pop up
The document “CurrentVersion.fcpproject” could not be opened.

Everytime I start up FCPX it creates a
NEW EVENT (plus the date)
in my Final Cut Events folder.

So, any help anyone?
I'm now thinking what a terrible choice it was to ever bother buying and spending weeks learning how to use FCPX properly and that I should have used a different video editing program instead.

This is seriously depressing :(
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist) 21 Dec 2011 22:19 #2720

• tpayton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 123
Sorry you are having trouble, this sounds like corrupted Preferences, especially if you have had to reboot the computer. Use this tool to trash them:

www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/

Preferences corruption is unfortunately a result an Apps crashing, and for some reason FCP X is especially vulnerable.

You might also try moving your Project and Events to a Final Cut Events Unused, and Final Cut Projects Unused, launching FCP X, then quitting. Move your events and project back and then relaunch.

Let us know how that goes.

Re: Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist) 21 Dec 2011 23:12 #2723

• coffee_king
  • Junior Boarder
Hi
I just tried the downloaded program you suggested and trashed ONLY the Final Cut Pro X preferences, but this didnt do anything.
I'm not sure what your next section means?
Do you mean for me to cut/copy/paste Final Cut Events & Projects folders elsewhere.
Let it recreate NEW folders the next time it starts up, quit the program again then PASTE the original folders back on top of the newley created ones. Then start it up again?

Re: Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist) 21 Dec 2011 23:28 #2725

• tpayton
  • Platinum Boarder
Bummer that the trashing prefs didn't work. Something else is up.

As far as moving your project and events. It is described here: support.apple.com/kb/HT4740

Basically create new folders called "Final Cut Events Not in Use" and "Final Cut Projects Not in Use", like this:

Screenshot2011-12-21at10.23.57AM.png

Then move the problem event and project to those respective folders and restart, then quit, move them back, and restart again.

BTW, if you have iChat I could screen share with you and get it figured out. Just to confirm, this is the full version of FCP X, not the trail.

Re: Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist) 21 Dec 2011 23:28 #2726

• tpayton
  • Platinum Boarder

Re: Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist) 21 Dec 2011 23:32 #2727

• coffee_king
  • Junior Boarder
Hey tpayton
Thanks for all your advise. I'll have a look at these suggestions in the morning and advise.
Many thanks chap!

Re: Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist) 22 Dec 2011 23:45 #2768

• coffee_king
  • Junior Boarder
Hi
Just to update you a little.
I repaired the disc using the OSX install disc earlier today, but this still didnt sort out my problem, so I will go through
www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/troubleshooting_fcp_x_taylor.html

Its like FCPX cant see my projects/events, but it manages to create a new event every time I start it up and it puts THAT new event in the same folder that my (none working) events already exist in.

I dont know why it creates a new event folder every time.
Its like every time I start FCPX up it thinks I'm stating it up BRAND NEW from SCRATCH each time,

Funnily though a GENERATOR that someone created for me that I added to FCPX a while back still works ok.

Re: Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist) 23 Dec 2011 00:02 #2769

• coffee_king
  • Junior Boarder
More updating.

I tried the hide/move events/projects files into new folder
as explained here

support.apple.com/kb/HT4740

and it STILL doesnt work.

I even tried it with individual events projects, but nothing :(

Re: Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist) 23 Dec 2011 01:14 #2772

• tpayton
  • Platinum Boarder
Shoot me an email. It is just my username on this board at me.com. We can do an iChat screen share and get this figured out.

Re: Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist) 23 Dec 2011 20:55 #2787

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 811
Be sure they're not 10.0.1/2 versions being opened on a previous FCP X version. If you see a folder in an Event or Project called "Old Versions" that means FCP X has been updated, and you should check what version of FCP X you're running (10.0.2 will be a must at that point).

Post what y'all find out for the rest of us to learn from.
Last Edit: 23 Dec 2011 20:56 by BenB.

Re: Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist) 24 Dec 2011 00:57 #2791

• Mikeybouchereau
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 80
Also one thing I have seen is make sure your projects and events have proper system permissions, click on the folder and then hit cmd+i at the bottom make sure you have read and write permission. If you do not, this is the culprit. Simply change the permissions and apply to all enclosed files.

Re: Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist) 28 Dec 2011 17:18 #2833

• coffee_king
  • Junior Boarder
Mikeybouchereau wrote:
Also one thing I have seen is make sure your projects and events have proper system permissions, click on the folder and then hit cmd+i at the bottom make sure you have read and write permission. If you do not, this is the culprit. Simply change the permissions and apply to all enclosed files.

Hi
Yes, Read & Write is set on both Final Cut Events and Final Cut Projects Folders.

Re: Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist) 28 Dec 2011 17:20 #2834

• coffee_king
  • Junior Boarder
BenB wrote:
Be sure they're not 10.0.1/2 versions being opened on a previous FCP X version. If you see a folder in an Event or Project called "Old Versions" that means FCP X has been updated, and you should check what version of FCP X you're running (10.0.2 will be a must at that point).

Post what y'all find out for the rest of us to learn from.

I'm not trying to run newer versions of FCPX projects on older versions of FCP.

Re: Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist) 02 Jan 2012 04:13 #2914

• Weston
  • Fresh Boarder
I know it's a little late but I just stumbled across this thread after hours of searching. I hope your issue was resolved but here's what I did.

Have you tried "get info" on the parent folder that the files are in (mine is Movies), changing permissions to read & Write for all users then clicking the "advance" drop down menu on the bottom of the info pane and checking "apply to enclosed items"? This worked after I spent hours repairing disks, permissions etc.....

Re: Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist) 03 Jan 2012 22:04 #2933

• coffee_king
  • Junior Boarder
Weston wrote:
I know it's a little late but I just stumbled across this thread after hours of searching. I hope your issue was resolved but here's what I did.

Have you tried "get info" on the parent folder that the files are in (mine is Movies), changing permissions to read & Write for all users then clicking the "advance" drop down menu on the bottom of the info pane and checking "apply to enclosed items"? This worked after I spent hours repairing disks, permissions etc.....

I have just tried:-
GET INFO on main MOVIES folder
ME - Was already set to Read & Write
EVERYONE - I have changed to READ & WRITE

But I cant see an ADVANCED drop down menu nor an "apply to enclosed items" section anywhere?
Any help?

The above (without using advanced info help) HAS NOT made this issue work again though.

Re: Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist) 03 Jan 2012 22:45 #2934

• Weston
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm on Lion and I forget what earlier OS looks like.

If this doesn't do anything, you may want to but all the originals on a back up drive, delete FCP x and reinstall then import your stuff again.

I'm not sure if this image will show because the path in the attachments window looks strange. Not sure why is says "fakepath"

C:\fakepath\MoviesGI.png

Re: Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist) 03 Jan 2012 22:51 #2935

• Weston
  • Fresh Boarder
it won't let me put the attachment but next to the "+" and "-" in the Info pane there is a cog with a drop down arrow to "apply to enclosed items"

Re: Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist) 03 Jan 2012 22:58 #2936

• coffee_king
  • Junior Boarder
Weston wrote:
I'm on Lion and I forget what earlier OS looks like.

If this doesn't do anything, you may want to but all the originals on a back up drive, delete FCP x and reinstall then import your stuff again.

I'm not sure if this image will show because the path in the attachments window looks strange. Not sure why is says "fakepath"

C:\fakepath\MoviesGI.png

When you say "Import your stuff again"
exactly how to do you mean to do this?

Lets say I back up Final Cut Events & Final Cut Projects folders (Located in Movies Folder) to an external hard drive, then I delete the Final Cut Events & Final Cut Projects folders from my system, then I uninstall FCPX, then I reinstall FCPX.
What do I do next? Simply copy and paste Final Cut Events & Final Cut Projects folders over the top of newly created Final Cut Events & Final Cut Projects folders on the internal hard drive in Movies Folder?
As File>Import doesnt have any IMPORT FINAL CUT EVENT/PROJECT options?

"Apply to enclosed items" is greyed out by the way.

Re: Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist) 03 Jan 2012 23:12 #2937

• Weston
  • Fresh Boarder
It should only be greyed out if it's locked (from my experience). Also, keeping everything on an external and working off that isn't a bad idea for storage reasons, but I'm digressing.

I need to tell you I'm new to this but I haven't seen any other fixes on the internet and this is what worked for me.

After everything is on the drive and ALL YOUR HARD WORK IS BACKED UP 100% (check and double and triple check), you will open FCPx to a completely empty app. Then, you will see the option to import. Find the drive where it is kept and import.

Re: Events and Projects Librarys Missing in FCPX (but folders and videos in finder exist) 04 Jan 2012 00:20 #2938

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 811
If you have permission problems, you have a larger issue at hand somewhere.

Yes, copy the Events and Projects folders to the external drive. They just go on the root level on all drives except the OS drive, where they go in your User folder, inside the Movies folder.

Launch FCP X and see if it recognizes them on that drive.

If not, delete those folders, but keep a backup copy of the media files, never delete them. Launch FCP X, create new Events, Import that media again.