Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fcpx video card

Fcpx video card 18 Jul 2017 09:25 #89485

• click
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi everyone, I would like to know which video card is best for fcpx 10.3.4 on mac with sierra?
Are the nvidia gtx good? For example on pro cc premiere are better video cards that have more CUDA but for fcpx?
Also I would like to know what difference I would have between a video card with 2 gb compared to one with 8 gb?
thank you
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Fcpx video card 18 Jul 2017 20:16 #89498

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 168
click wrote:
Hi everyone, I would like to know which video card is best for fcpx 10.3.4 on mac with sierra?....

For you to be asking this implies you have an option which implies a pre-2013 Mac Pro or a Hackintosh. I guess a less likely possibility is you have a Mac with Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt 3 and you're asking about a separate eGPU chassis. In general an AMD video card is best for FCPX, since it is highly optimized for this via OpenCL.

In this video Max at 10:21 Max Yuryev says an AMD 280X (available cheap on eBay) has both good compatibility and good performance in FCPX:

This article says starting with High Sierra, AMD RX580 GPUs will be natively supported in macOS: hackintosher.com/blog/amd-radeon-desktop...c-cards-high-sierra/

However some of these (such as the above Max Yuryev Hackintosh) will not work reliably if the i7 integrated GPU is enabled. The integrated GPU is required for Quick Sync which is vital for smooth editing or fast transcoding of long GOP codecs like H264. For a Hackintosh this often requires disabling the integrated GPU in the BIOS. You then get good GPU performance but no Quick Sync. Mac Pros use Xeon CPUs so they don't have Quick Sync anyway.

Fcpx video card 19 Jul 2017 08:30 #89502

• click
  • Expert Boarder
OK thanks

Fcpx video card 06 Dec 2017 11:52 #92112

• click
  • Expert Boarder
Sorry for reopening this topic, now on my hackintosh I installed a GTX960 2gb, and work with fcpx 1, .3.4. in fullHD.

if I wanted to switch to 4K I think my gtx 960 is weak and can not work well right?
so a video card like in the link below would be better
www.amazon.it/Sapphire-Radeon-Scheda-Gra...rds=amd%2Brx580&th=1

Then a curiosity, with this AMD card I would not need the drivers I say well? because it would be recognized by MAC natively if I understood correctly.
last question should you take the 4gb or 8gb?
I do not care about the video game but only editing with fcpx.
thank you

Fcpx video card 06 Dec 2017 12:06 #92113

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 168
Sorry I don't have any experience building a Hackintosh. A major problem for editing H264 content in FCPX is Hackintoshes typically do not support Quick Sync, even if they have the proper Intel chip. No matter how powerful the discrete GPU it will not accelerate H264 encode, decode, transcode or just scrubbing the timeline in FCPX. This is because all Hackintoshes I've read about cannot switch between the i7 integrated GPU (which supports Quick Sync) and the external discrete GPU.

OTOH if you will be transcoding 4k to proxy, almost any Mac or Hackintosh can edit that -- proxy is fast and smooth. However the act of transcoding it will vary widely in performance based on the machine. In general even a used several-year-old iMac will be faster than a powerful Hackintosh at this since the iMac supports Quick Sync.

Fcpx video card 06 Dec 2017 17:59 #92119

• click
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks again for your help

Fcpx video card 07 Dec 2017 13:14 #92134

• screendor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Well, the AMD 580 would be a beefier card for your system, I think.

And if you think you will be able to use High Sierra (after they announce the new iMac Pro and new FCPX), you may be able to use the new wicked fast AMD Vega cards.

You might learn more at this site: ogpu.io Tons of info on cards... Good luck.

Fcpx video card 07 Dec 2017 13:15 #92135

• screendor
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Sorry... egpu.io (dang autocorrect)

Fcpx video card 07 Dec 2017 13:31 #92136

• click
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks