Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Workflow with Sony F5 Raw 4K footage

Workflow with Sony F5 Raw 4K footage 05 Sep 2017 12:25 #90316

Hi everybody,,
I am trying to figure out the best workflow for editing Sony F5 Raw 4K footage with fcxpro, since I cannot import directly the mxf files into a library. Final output should be 4096 x 2160 at 24p. After doing some research, it seems the best option would be to transcode all clips with Raw Viewer to ProRes Proxy at 2048 x 1080p, so that I can edit the project with fcxpro. After I am done with editing, export to xml and import in DaVinci for color editing and final output. Unfortunately, I am not (yet) very familiar with DaVinci, I have been told that you set up resolution when you create the project, so I would create a Full 4k 4096 x 2160 project and then import footage into Media Pool. Now, these are my questions:
- In final cut x pro, should I create a 4096 x 2160 project, edit my ProRes Proxies at 2048 x 1080p with the Fit option, so that the exported xml has a 4096 x 2160 resolution?
- And second, but very important. Will DaVinci be able to relink the project with the original Raw footage, since we don´t want to do the color editing with the proxies?

Does this make sense at all? I am not very familiar with DaVinci or 4k formats yet, thank you for your understanding.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Workflow with Sony F5 Raw 4K footage 07 Sep 2017 02:07 #90339

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 170
Why not edit them at 4096x2160 to start with? Avoid conforming in another app.

Will FCPX not directly import F4 footage?
Last Edit: 07 Sep 2017 02:09 by FCPX.guru.

Workflow with Sony F5 Raw 4K footage 07 Sep 2017 06:39 #90342

• Axel
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
I only know the Pocket RAW workflow, and since I don't know if Resolve accepts Sony RAW (you can tell), this may not work in your case:

1. Import the Raw in Resolve from a folder named (project name)-RAW or so.
2. Hastily apply some normalization or simply a lut. Don't "grade" yet.
3. Deliver as individual clips in ProResLT to a folder named (project name)-ProRes or so. Don't change the file names !!! Personally, I wouldn't use Proxy because Resolve (later on) understands any resizing I applied within FCP, and why not take the advantage?
4. Import the ProRes clips in FCP, edit. Export XML.
5. Import XML in Resolve, drag (project name)-RAW into the Media Pool, relink.
6. Grade (Resolve doesn't know of the previous normalization CC, you start from scratch).
7. Deliver in the master codec, (don't forget to) save, export XML.
8. Import XML in FCP.

Now in theory you could use the Sony Raw Viewer to export ProRes4444 copies which both FCP and Resolve accept. Don't know if this makes any sense.

The roundtrip looks more complicated than it actually is. But what if you decided to make edit changes later on? Wouldn't that be a big PITA? Even if, as advertised, Resolve can edit and you could make minor changes right there?

The solution to that is simple.
1. You make the changes in FCP, then you export an XML named (project name)-changes or so.
2. You open the unchanged Resolve project.
3. Import the changes XML, right-click on it and choose Compare with current timeline.
4. All changes are highlighted in red. You are asked accept changes?
5. Confirm. Done.
Last Edit: 07 Sep 2017 06:47 by Axel.

Workflow with Sony F5 Raw 4K footage 08 Sep 2017 07:56 #90368

Thanks, FCPX.guru, but the fcpx won´t import directly Sony Raw footage, that´s the reason why I need to transcode first...

Thank you very much, Axel. I followed your instructions and yes, Resolve accepts Sony RAW. Everything was fine until I imported the edited xml from fcpx into Resolve. I opened the timeline to make sure anything was online and then I imported the Raw folder. I am stuck here, since I don´t know how to relink to the raw files. The clips in the timeline are still linked to the Apple ProRes LT clips and unfortunately this is not what we want... If I right-click the Apple ProRes LT clips and select Relink Selected Clip, Resolve won´t do nothing. I tried the Change Source Folder, and changed from the ProRes folder to the Raw folder, and the clips went offline...

Workflow with Sony F5 Raw 4K footage 09 Sep 2017 13:19 #90406

• Axel
  • Gold Boarder
iván.santos wrote:
Everything was fine until I imported the edited xml from fcpx into Resolve. I opened the timeline to make sure anything was online and then I imported the Raw folder. I am stuck here...

Ah, sorry, it's been a while. My description contains one and a half mistakes:

You import the FCPXML into the same Resolve project where you created he ProRes. Then, a dialog appears where you have to uncheck Automatically import source clips into media pool, this lets Resolve use the RAW. It also means that the sloppy CC you performed earlier (to make the clips look normal in FCP) is NOT forgotten. So if you don't like that as a starting point, you'd have to reset all grades or whatever.

Sorry again.
Last Edit: 09 Sep 2017 13:21 by Axel.

Workflow with Sony F5 Raw 4K footage 10 Sep 2017 07:24 #90424

• Axel
  • Gold Boarder
Me again. I knew I had re-linked in a new Resolve project. And here is how:

1. Import (project name)-RAW into the media pool.
2. Import FCPXML, uncheck Automatically import asf.

The files are linked to (in my case) the DNGs.

Right now I can't tell you which method is superior. There probably are more ways to do this.
Last Edit: 10 Sep 2017 07:43 by Axel.

Workflow with Sony F5 Raw 4K footage 11 Sep 2017 12:20 #90450

Thanks, I am going to try your option, finders crossed.

Workflow with Sony F5 Raw 4K footage 12 Sep 2017 12:44 #90472

• Axel
  • Gold Boarder
One more not so obvious tip:
If in Resolve you render the final master, ProResHQ or whatever, again use Individual Clips (to send back to FCP) in the Deliver tab, then scroll down to see the Advanced Settings. There, choose Add ... frame handles. This may save you a further roundtrip, if you have to trim clips.

Workflow with Sony F5 Raw 4K footage 12 Sep 2017 19:13 #90475

• DmitriZigany
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
[deleted] Oops!
Last Edit: 12 Sep 2017 19:17 by DmitriZigany.