Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What is the best way to do LUTs?

What is the best way to do LUTs? 07 Sep 2017 17:08 #90354

I have played around with colour balancing and corrections using the built in apple tools in FCPX. I am now ready to add LUTs. However, I have had some problems.

Pixel Film Studio has some nice LUTs, but the problem I have is how they are installed and the reliability. When I bought the package, I had to perform the install three times for it to work (according to instructions). So I had to repeat. It worked, I updated a project with some LUTs, but when I went back, FCPX could not see the LUT menu so I had to install again. This had me worry. Obviously there is some issue now, but any upgrade could later render any LUTs in my projects unusable.

I am looking for LUTs paid or free where installation is as easy as adding free events or transitions. I don't mind paying for LUTs, but don't want the hassle of controlling software that can breakdown rending the LUTs useless later. Any recommendations? I am a prosumer. I do this for fun, not for money so there is not a huge budget. Thanks all.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What is the best way to do LUTs? 08 Sep 2017 04:47 #90358

I'm using coremelts LUTx - stable, offering all sorts of colourful 'tones' and cameras, allows to install 3rd party/'free' LUTs, lots of knobs to play with, has a smart GUI for preview.

… hobbyist speaking here ;)

(adding another – to PFS' track record …)

What is the best way to do LUTs? 08 Sep 2017 05:00 #90360

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 184
I agree with Karen totally. But I take it one step further and use Coremelt's Chromatic which has the LUTx engine inside of it. So camera LUTs and all my color grading tools in one place.

What is the best way to do LUTs? 08 Sep 2017 05:03 #90363

FCPX.guru wrote:
… take it one step further and use Coremelt's Chromatic which has the LUTx engine inside of it. ….

Does Chromatic offer that same 'realtime/split-screen/variable' preview as LUTx does?
Found it genius when it came out ..... :)

What is the best way to do LUTs? 08 Sep 2017 13:26 #90379

Thanks - lots to think about. I like having everything built in one place. It won't come with any LUTs, but I can get some free ones to start. I tried Pixel Film Studios, but had issues where I had to reinstall often as the LUTs kept dropping from the menu.

What is the best way to do LUTs? 08 Sep 2017 19:15 #90395

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 184
Yes, Chromatic has a split-screen preview and such.
Last Edit: 08 Sep 2017 19:16 by FCPX.guru.