Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: OK I give up: Can I carry through the Ken Burns pan after I slice a clip???

OK I give up: Can I carry through the Ken Burns pan after I slice a clip??? 08 Sep 2017 00:04 #90356

• meegwell
  • Junior Boarder
I need to continue the same pan position of the new "second portion" of a blade slides clip. Is there a way to do this without manually trying to tinker with the start of the second portion crop to match where the blade sliced at the end of the first portion?

Why I am trying to do this: I have a clip with a color effect shape mask as well as a color mask. Outside both masks is B&W but moth masked objects come and go from the clip due to the ken burns pan (one object is moving fast passing through). So I can blade cut the clip at that point that they switch and maintain the color objects/BW background I am looking for but the problem is the second part of the clip now resets as far as the ken burns crop goes.

Any help or alternatives would be appreciated!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

OK I give up: Can I carry through the Ken Burns pan after I slice a clip??? 08 Sep 2017 05:00 #90361

• slice your clip
  • create compound
  • apply KB to Compound

how's that?

OK I give up: Can I carry through the Ken Burns pan after I slice a clip??? 08 Sep 2017 05:07 #90364

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 184
Not sure if I understand what your saying, but you may want to do color grading in two side-by-side Effects Layers.
Last Edit: 08 Sep 2017 05:07 by FCPX.guru.

OK I give up: Can I carry through the Ken Burns pan after I slice a clip??? 08 Sep 2017 07:59 #90369

• Axel
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
AAE would call the compound clips which Karsten recommends pre-compositions. The concept is particularly useful to combine animations for one part of a composite and essentially make it a self-contained clip. The order in which you apply changes is crucial. I didn't follow your description fully, but it sounds like a task for compounds.

FCPX.guru wrote:
... but you may want to do color grading in two side-by-side Effects Layers.

What is a side-by-side effect layer in FCP?
Last Edit: 08 Sep 2017 08:01 by Axel.

OK I give up: Can I carry through the Ken Burns pan after I slice a clip??? 08 Sep 2017 11:40 #90374

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
Lot's of developers give an "Effects Layer" away for free, or you can make your own easily. It is simply a Title Template with the text box removed. You place it over other clips, and do your effects and such to that, rather than the video clip itself.

OK I give up: Can I carry through the Ken Burns pan after I slice a clip??? 08 Sep 2017 12:30 #90375

• meegwell
  • Junior Boarder
Karsten Schlüter wrote:
  • slice your clip
  • create compound
  • apply KB to Compound

how's that?

I think this may work I can't attempt it right now but will later. To give more clarity (maybe) the scene has a colorful bouquet of flowers to the left sitting in a wooded environment. A biker mountain biker whites by. As the pan moves left to right the flowers leave the shot just as the biker fully enters traveling right.

The color effects a 1.) the bouquet if full color, BW background - done with a shape mask. 2.) The biker has a blue shirt on that is saturated, everything else BW - with a color mask. The initial problem is regardless of correction order the "outside mask" BW overrides the other mask. So I solved this by duplicating the clip then splitting the clips right at the point the bouquet drops off to the left and the biker enters. I disable the opposite "sections". Works great except for the panning effect not carrying across.

So next I will try applying the pan after I duplicate, split, then compound.

OK I give up: Can I carry through the Ken Burns pan after I slice a clip??? 08 Sep 2017 18:40 #90392

• Ronald
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Re the pan/Ken Burns effect, did you try the following? Apply Ken Burns to the entire clip, then split the clip. Now, the Ken Burns effect is the same on both parts. Make the second part active, open the Ken Burns effect, and in the viewer click on the button with the two arrows in the top left corner. Now, the Ken Burns effect in the second part will be reversed: the starting point of the second part is exactly the same as the ending point of the first part. You can adjust the end point of the second clip any way you want, just leave the starting point untouched. Hope this is what you want. Good luck!

OK I give up: Can I carry through the Ken Burns pan after I slice a clip??? 08 Sep 2017 19:10 #90393

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
I do Karsten's solution. You want a single directly, single motion, smooth pan.
Last Edit: 08 Sep 2017 19:11 by FCPX.guru.

OK I give up: Can I carry through the Ken Burns pan after I slice a clip??? 08 Sep 2017 20:47 #90396

• meegwell
  • Junior Boarder
This worked. Thanks for all the input.