Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Anyone use trackpad for SliceX (or other tracking)?

Anyone use trackpad for SliceX (or other tracking)? 13 Sep 2017 14:35 #90497

• meegwell
  • Junior Boarder
I am not sure if I will just get used to it or if I should abort and go to a mouse (I am on a MBP)...but I am having a hard time doing shape masks using a trackpad....obviously the more complex the more difficult...I often "lose" the shape before I have finished outlining the object...only having to start over again. Any thoughts or experiences?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anyone use trackpad for SliceX (or other tracking)? 13 Sep 2017 14:43 #90498

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 184
I've been using a Magic Trackpad since they first came out, and love them. You do have to set the preferences to your own tastes. Most importantly "Click" and "Tracking Speed" (in System Preferences). I have mine to "Firm" and "Fast" (all the way right), respectively. And you simply think about where to start. The pad is the same aspect ratio as your screen, it translates pretty literally, but if you're set to track too slow, it won't make it across the screen in time. Stick with it, get the preferences adjusted to your personal touch, and "learn" how to use it. Personally I get very accurate masks with it. But then with SliceX you're simply making points, not drawing free hand (or at least you should be).

Anyone use trackpad for SliceX (or other tracking)? 13 Sep 2017 16:42 #90500

meegwell wrote:
I am not sure if I will just get used to it or if I should abort and go to a mouse …

Excellent question!
I have answered to me: I use both! A MTP and a Magic Mouse…
I'm handling the Trackpad, to point with the finger and click with the thumb…  funny enough, the finger is in some cases not precise enough = adjusting bezier points for example… then, I prefer the mouse.

For fast actions, best example: scrolling/swiping the timeline, or pinch-in/out, the MTP is unmatched…

Tried even a small, stone-old Wacom (remembering editors on Quantel Paintbox/Harry), I found in my drawers - but I don't get used to the stencil, esp. you have to put it away for using the keyboard, grab it again, put it away… no, who want's a stylus? ;)

Could be a generation issue: I grew up with Mouse and scroll wheels; my son is used to swiping and gestures… 

Anyone use trackpad for SliceX (or other tracking)? 13 Sep 2017 17:14 #90503

• meegwell
  • Junior Boarder
FCPX.guru wrote:
But then with SliceX you're simply making points, not drawing free hand (or at least you should be).

Well I guess I have a related follow-up question....I am new to SliceX and only using shape mask so far but I sure am "drawing"...I am not just making points. What may I be doing wrong? For example, a closeup of a person that I want to color correct different than the background I am drawing a mask "freehand" around the person...I mean, I can tell the slicex is doing some work to match the shape but its real easy for me to go off the proper path.

Anyone use trackpad for SliceX (or other tracking)? 13 Sep 2017 17:16 #90504

• meegwell
  • Junior Boarder
Karsten Schlüter wrote:
meegwell wrote:

Could be a generation issue: I grew up with Mouse and scroll wheels; my son is used to swiping and gestures… 

Thank you for the input (pun intended?)...I grew up with Keyboard...then the mouse came around...:)

Anyone use trackpad for SliceX (or other tracking)? 13 Sep 2017 20:15 #90511

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 184
If you are using the "Arbitrary Shape" tool (last on in the list) then yes, you click and drag. I never use it, not my favorite. I usually use the Polygon shape mask (second in the list) to make points, then soften as needed. That works for 99% of the masks I need. If I need really round points, I use the Bezier (third tool in list) to click-drag each point to round it as needed. It is very rare I use the Arbitrary shape drawing tool, not because I can't be accurate enough with it, but because I find it creates way too many points to be manageable, and other, easier tools do the job quicker and faster. With any tool, you can tweak individual points as needed after drawing, also.

I recommend playing with all of the various drawing tools in SliceX and get used to them all. Each has advantages for specific situations.

I've not used a mouse in years, don't miss it, no issues with accuracy here.

As for generational, I grew up with monochrome screens and a keyboard, no mouse, no trackpad, nothing. But one can adapt to any technology one choses to, or not. I didn't grow up with smart phones, but I have no trouble using one now.

At the end of the day, use what works for you. I'm not fond of using an iPad as a second screen with my MBP, cause it's way too small. But others find it useful. Whatever works for you personally to get the job done. We just offer various perspectives here.
Last Edit: 13 Sep 2017 20:23 by FCPX.guru.