Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Motion - what next?

Motion - what next? 11 Nov 2017 16:14 #91606

• Steve McGarrigle
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Red Giant Trapcode don't seem ready to port their plugins over to FCP anytime soon so it would be great if we could see some sort of advancement in Motions particle system. I remember many very similar particle effects available in Autodesk Combustion as well - ( I think they were developed by the same people ) back in around 2004/5? Those tired old Motion particles must be over 12 years old now! Something approaching the feature set of Particular and Form would be amazing.
Who else is particularly interested in developing some form of shiney new luxurious Motion particle system? It would be a stroke of genius.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Motion - what next? 12 Nov 2017 05:01 #91611

Steve McGarrigle wrote:
… very similar particle effects available in Autodesk Combustion as well - ( I think they were developed by the same people ) back in around 2004/5? ….

interesting! Didn't know that …

Quo Vadis, Motion is a good question.
Actually, it is 'just' a front-end for parameters from within FCPX, plus a bundle of 'ready-mades', partly really childish ones (who has seen Shell, Stapler, Star Tunnel - to name a few - in a real world project??).

The 3D-fonts were a class of its own … simulating 'reality' with a few clicks, very Apple like.
Which could create a complete category of Physics beyond simple 'gravity' (collision detection as an example)

' Puppeteering' in Motion was my first idea when I saw that shi**y Animoji demo…

One could imagine a new category of tic-based (every… loop… until) or Boolean (if…then…else) Behaviors… which could lead to a from the ground new UI, based upon Nodes

A storm of reflective particles (for heavens sake in a 360-environment) - THAT would be a killer-demo for an iMacPro…

… and I'm still hoping for a simple 'Bend'-filter in Motion LOL!!

Motion - what next? 12 Nov 2017 07:05 #91615

• Axel
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
Some far fetched, wishful thinking inspired daydreams:
In the Apple ad for the new iMac Pro, 3D particle simulation is mentioned (dust, rain, a field in the wind). Are they going to demonstrate that with 3d party software?
What is that for? Designing games?
Sounds for me like photorealistic rendering of CGI. Right now you need very specialized software to i.e. enhance your films with digital matte paintings. But these are commonplace nowadays, used extensively in places where you never expected them:

Now even if you could create threedimensional sets in Motion (very unlikely, I know), it’s tracking capabilities wouldn’t suffice. Serious compositing, even without CGI, therefore still needs AAE. The Mocha tracker (at least in this version, which is the only one I know) is sophisticated but slow. One wishes there was AI involved, machine learning, whatever it’s called, to make, er, informed guesses if there are obstructions, distortions or a complex camera.

Excuse this science fiction rubbish. We won’t see Motion X soon.

Motion - what next? 12 Nov 2017 07:36 #91616

Axel wrote:
Some far fetched, wishful thinking inspired daydreams:
In the Apple ad for the new iMac Pro, 3D particle simulation is mentioned (dust, rain, a field in the wind). Are they going to demonstrate that with 3d party software?
… We won’t see Motion X soon.

oh, indeed, missed this one:

ScreenShot2017-11-12at08.25.47.png

conc. 'tracking' I don't get tired to link to this video from WWDC17
developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2017/506/
scroll fwd to Frank Döpke's note …

… where a, for me, new kind of 'smart tracker' (claim a © for that phrase LOL) is demoed - as part of the OS!! incl. mentioning ML …

a from the ground new MotionX would be indeed a wet dream … question is: is Apple saying "nobody uses it anyhow, waste of energy", or will Apple say "chance for a new market?" …

nice video, btw, can watch those BTS for hours ;)

Motion - what next? 12 Nov 2017 09:25 #91617

• Axel
  • Gold Boarder
Karsten Schlüter wrote:

… where a, for me, new kind of 'smart tracker' (claim a © for that phrase LOL) is demoed - as part of the OS!! incl. mentioning ML

Very exciting!
I can see ML in other areas too, audio for instance. Everybody now wants an audio mixer. I admit, I am not an audio guy, and the least inspiring demo in this year was that of Resolves Fairlight - I simply can‘t see the advantages for what I do.

I daydream about a „smart EQ“. Once Audition or Soundtrack Pro (or both, I really can‘t remember) had a ‚spectral analysis‘ ( or so), a visual representation of all the frequencies in a recording, with Photoshop tools (lasso, eraser) to manipulate them. I thought, yes, that‘s perfect for me. Now I can SEE the layer of - for instance - noise, I can isolate it and delete it. But because it interferred with voice frequencies asf, it wasn‘t as helpful as it could have and should have been. Why couldn‘t the software intelligently fill the gaps?

If this was possible with a 50 year old, very worn mono recording ...
Enhance, refine, isolate, remove or match hall, echo, what have you. Probably already working in other software, perhaps in some 3d party filters. Couldn‘t it just be a mighty SOUND property in the way that cmd+6 lets you change the appearance of image recordings (=footage)?

Complicated stuff. Difficult for me to explain, particularly in english.
Last Edit: 12 Nov 2017 09:28 by Axel.

Motion - what next? 12 Nov 2017 09:39 #91618

Axel wrote:
…Complicated stuff. Difficult for me to explain, particularly in english.

here's a short doc about the inventor of Melodyne, which allows to pitch single instruments in a done down-mix (I guess that is what you are looking for) - now THAT is plain voodoo to me:

(you find the German original version in YT sidebar…)

Funny enough, when he explains it, it sounds so easy and logic… pure genius, I'd say.-

Aaaand back2topic:
aside a Bend-filter, I wish to be able to publish the Audio-parameters … ;)

Motion - what next? 12 Nov 2017 10:27 #91619

• Axel
  • Gold Boarder
Aaaand back2topic:
aside a Bend-filter, I wish to be able to publish the Audio-parameters … ;)

If one uses Motion as a compositing tool (not just for animated motion graphics or FCP effect editor), then it would be extremely helpful to have the same CC tools. AAE finally incorporated the whole Lumetri UI, whereas before AAE just “understood” Premiere, but you had to use the much less intuitive vintage toolset.

Motion - what next? 12 Nov 2017 11:59 #91620

• Pielle
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 38
Hello everyone! Motion must go out of the ambiguity of being a 2D application with adding a 3D part. I call it 2,5D; this limits the 3d part very much. Apple should remove import restrictions ( importing editable vector images, some 3D formats), and finally providing the environment with simple tools to extrude, sweep, bend, and lathe the vectorial shape. Then it will make sense to introduce the other things you ask.

Motion - what next? 12 Nov 2017 12:15 #91621

Pielle wrote:
…the vectorial shape. Then it will make sense to introduce the other things you ask.

Let alone, how Motion (does not) handles vector-graphic… (that pdf-packaging-nonsense…)
Imagine, you could, as in other vector-processors, manipulate the bezier points in glyphs.

Or, what about support of - some - 3D formats in general? (shopping, Cupertino! integrate mObjects into M5)

new formats, new behaviors, new UI - masel tov with that!! :woohoo:

Motion - what next? 14 Nov 2017 03:42 #91654

• xn.yang
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I gave up using motion5 almost a year, now using AE + FCPX. The efficiency is higher than the motion5, motion5 is not suitable for large projects, I tried, easy to collapse. I regret buying mobject, it is equivalent to the price of E3D :(

Motion - what next? 14 Nov 2017 23:10 #91696

• Xan
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I hope that I am wrong but I think we will never see it (Motion X) I think it will continue with the same dynamics that so far with small updates with each new fcpx version. Some years ago I had some hopes but I do not expect anything relevant (I love Motion)

Motion - what next? 15 Nov 2017 03:37 #91699

• xn.yang
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
This is exactly what I am thinking.

Motion - what next? 15 Nov 2017 05:55 #91701

Xan wrote:
… think we will never see it (Motion X) I think it will continue with the same dynamics that so far with small updates with each new fcpx version. …

I won't expect Motion as a fully fledged AE-replacement either … And AE doesn't offer the convenience to create 'effects' as plugin for FCPX …

A few new Behaviors and supported formats shouldn't be no magic …
ok, Nodes would be too revolutionary …

What comes to mind is the UI - aside discrepancies btw FC ./. M5 - I had never understood, why the layers are listed twice:

screenestate.jpg

(simulation)

And the new Color Wheels would be really squashed in the actual GUI, wouldn't it??