Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 10.3 User Interface is a mess!

10.3 User Interface is a mess! 12 Nov 2017 16:34 #91627

• DmitriZigany
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
Hey!

Just venting a bit... but now a year after the fact, I still find the new flat look not only uglier but it's also worse...

some little annoiances at the moment:

When using two monitors and the viewer on the second... I need to move the pointer from where I'm working to the second monitor to access the retiming menu...

You used to be able to see the sound effect categories at a glance... no more!!

And since titles are also used as adjustment layers, having them on the opisite side of the monitor from the effects is also counter intuitive to me...

There's just a bunch of little things like this that I think of all the time... but can't think of much that actually improved with 10.3 from a user interface point of view...

How are the rest of you finding it now a year later?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

10.3 User Interface is a mess! 12 Nov 2017 16:42 #91628

• DmitriZigany
  • Platinum Boarder
Oh, and then we have the size of the inspector and effects windows that keep changing size and not going back to the size you set them if you hide another window etc... utterly flabbergastingly crappy!!!

10.3 User Interface is a mess! 12 Nov 2017 22:36 #91632

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 184
Effects and transitions simply have an effect on your existing media in a Timeline.

Generators, titles, audio, that's all existing media, just like video clips and photos you import. Very logical they go together, plus the Event Browser gives us more real estate to preview them, mark in and outs, etc.

I have found the current UI layout to be far superior than the original and allows me to work more logically and faster. But that's my personal experience.

Would be nice to have those shortcut menus for speed and color to be in the Tool Bar instead of the Viewer.

It's all subjective, what works for one won't work for another, so there's no absolutes here. Just personal opinions.

10.3 User Interface is a mess! 13 Nov 2017 00:47 #91634

• DmitriZigany
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes, many things are personal taste... and what one is used to.

That's why I gave it the benefit of doubt... but now I can say that I still think it was mostly for the worse in my taste.

10.3 User Interface is a mess! 13 Nov 2017 01:02 #91635

• DmitriZigany
  • Platinum Boarder
FCPX.guru wrote:
Generators, titles, audio, that's all existing media, just like video clips and photos you import. Very logical they go together, plus the Event Browser gives us more real estate to preview them, mark in and outs, etc.

Yes... I would still like to be able to see a list of audio subgroups though! Like Foley, Ambiance etc etc... instead of having to scroll through them all for example...

And It's also why FCPX needs something that is a adjustment/effects layer specifically, cause as it is now, I lot of effects now live up in the top left corner while most of the others live in the bottom right corner... that makes no sense whatsoever and an unfortunate side effect of having to use titles as a work-around for those kind of things... And something they should have fixed before moving things around, imo...

I find the "new" interface just riddled with these little things, it feels so unfinished... And everytime I see a screenshot of FCPX 10.2 I'm just sad by how much better it looked... I'm not a fan of Apples latest obsession of trying to make all their apps look like Excel Spreadsheets... :P