Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Newbie needs help with short cut

Newbie needs help with short cut 13 Nov 2017 04:53 #91636

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I am pretty new to FCPX and I am hoping someone on here can help me.

There might already be an answer to this but I don't even know how to ask the question so finding the answer has been difficult.

I use FCPX to edit together football videos that I shoot. At present, I use a handful of effects, titles etc but I have to do the same things over and over again. For example, copying a goal, slowing it down, adding the instant replay title, and dropping in swoosh transition etc etc. Is there a way I can save all these things to a location where I do not have to do these actions individually?

The same goes for the 'Sports - Left' title which I have added a logo. Is there a way I can save this and drag and drop onto my time line without having to copy and paste from my current time line or having to recreate it again and again.

I do these every week and as you can imagine this can become quite repetitive. Please excuse my ignorance but as I said I don't even know how to search for this so can learn how to do this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. (See attachments)
ScreenShot2017-11-13at04.46.02.png
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Newbie needs help with short cut 13 Nov 2017 05:34 #91637

Welcome, Linus, to fcp.co :)

trigger-word 'soccer/football'! The usual suspects, please, Luís, Tobi, chime in! ;)
(there's a small group of soccer-Dads, sharing their issues&prob-solvers )

linus.morris wrote:
… I use a handful of effects, titles etc but I have to do the same things over and over again. For example, copying a goal, slowing it down, adding the instant replay title, and dropping in swoosh transition etc etc. Is there a way I can save all these things to a location where I do not have to do these actions individually?…

Unfortunately, Apple killed the feature of 'Themes' and re-arranged the screen-position of Titles and Effects … in FCPX v10_2 all my 'football stuff' was in one 'folder', at hand.

Secondly, in an ideal world you look for some 'script', which applies titles, effects and transitions in one click, hm? No such thing, out of the box.

But …
meant as an example, an older report of mine: youtu.be/HgnEkvMA4G8 …
All done with Motion. What you can create, for example, an 'effect' which slows down the speed AND add a 'Replay' bug upper-right …

Motion is a mighty tool, to create plugins for FCPX …but no beginners toy, asks for some weeks to get its full potential.

I'll send a message to User Tobi, he offers his superb, handmade plugins for sale … ;)

Newbie needs help with short cut 13 Nov 2017 05:48 #91638

Wow, thank you for the detailed response. Really appreciate you taking the time to get back to me on this. Yeah any help would be great. I look forward to his response.

Thanks again,

Linus

Newbie needs help with short cut 13 Nov 2017 08:18 #91639

• Schnurr
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
Hi Linus,
welcome to FCPX world and this forum. Yes Motion5 is really a great tool and Motion 5 templates ease your workflow and time to produce cool and more pro-look videos.
Maybe you already come across the soccer templates that I created with M5 (thanks Karsten for your support) and give you an idea what can be achieved... still remember the moment when I opened 1st M5 in an Apple store and thought now way will never understand that but after a while (Karstens super posts in this forum and saw light at the end ...) but cost me a couple of months and some discussions with my wife ;))

I record the games with an iP7 & Filmic App and 2-3 GoPros and then cut the game (2x20min) into 5-6min final clip including timecode information !

I once define the teams and the c&p my template to the other clip sequence and just change the score and finally include the end result.
This allows me to focus more on the Multicam editing process which is really a great feature but still a way to learn and improve

Tobias

check below examples. Sorry didn't manage to include them properly in the post.
www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?file=d74efc-1510561394.jpg
www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?file=fc22c7-1510561533.png
Last Edit: 13 Nov 2017 08:24 by Schnurr.

Newbie needs help with short cut 14 Nov 2017 02:07 #91653

Thank you for that.

"but cost me a couple of months and some discussions with my wife" Ha! I understand this entirely! My last long editing session on FCPX got me in trouble with the missus so much so that I had to find a better solution.

So this is my last video > Took far too long!

I have seen some wonderful looking videos from Motion 5 and I want a part of that. So much so that I have jumped in head first and grabbed a copy of Motion 5 without even understanding how to use it. *Gulp*

So that is my next task. Plenty of YouTube tutorials me thinks. So you mentioned soccer templates, I'm not sure I have seen them. Do you have any YouTube videos of those?

Newbie needs help with short cut 14 Nov 2017 13:25 #91667

• Schnurr
  • Gold Boarder
Ahh sorry missed to post the link. Yes I really takes to time to edit a game but the more and more experienced you get. So use favorites, fast preview while trying to find the best scenes and then create or use templates to speed up editing. Then you just can use c&p with templates and change the goal indicator.

so my kids soccer games look like for example jump to 2:00

and you can check in the video description when a goal happens to see the templates in action.

In general these are the templates that I created with M5.

Have greated 10-20 more but need to create a video trailer to show them.

Some recommendations reg. your video:
- Good starting point. I started with iMovie but after I while a changed to Fcpx so good that you already choosed the right tool ;)
- I doubt that people will watch a complete game for >1h so I would cut the game. In my scenario game is 2x20min and I create a 6-10min video out of that
- use a tripod or a gimbal Xmas coming soon!
- then after a while think about more cams so eg. cheaper goPro clones or Gopro. Maybe some parents have as well cameras and can share them with you. Split the work!!!! if possible
- and then use multicam function from fcpx will bring even more fun
- use keywords and of course favorites in your clips
- even think of some ranking like *, **, *** scenes.

I think there are a couple of posts here in the forum so read them too....

and (try to) have fun with editing and spending hours in front of your Mac ;-))

Tobias
Last Edit: 14 Nov 2017 13:32 by Schnurr.

Newbie needs help with short cut 16 Nov 2017 05:16 #91728

Hi Tobias,

That is really impressive. It looks so professional. I'd love to know some more information about the football/soccer templates. Basically how much and how I get it :)

As for mine, I usually do both the full match (for the coaches) and a highlights version for the parents who do not want to watch it all. I am currently filming from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge but will be looking to buy a proper digital camera at some point, especially if I take the step into doing this as a business.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers,

Linus

Newbie needs help with short cut 16 Nov 2017 06:12 #91731

linus.morris wrote:
… will be looking to buy a proper digital camera …

one?
in my wildest days, I had 6 in use…

to share a few 'tricks':
 • some coaches prefer a behind-goal perspective; I used 5m tripods + wide-angle action-cam = you catch half of the green.
• all cams set to min. 50p = gives nicer slowmos in 25 projects
• speaking of height: the main cam should stand as high as possible (bad news for clubs without stadium)
• re-frame: consider recording in 4k/deliver in 1080= lossless reframing …
• here my main-cam set, I used for a while (when my son was 15,16y):
1) is a tiny&cheap but powerful Pana707, 2) is an ext. Liliput monitor = much easier to follow the game than on those tiny cams TFT, 3) iPhone + Apogee MetaRecorder (setting Favorites WHILE recording), Arrow) is a clip to hold the coaches phone, running Fubalytics, a coach.app … yep, soccer is taken seriously here in Germany LOL

xmlcamsetup.jpg

… the graphical 'packaging' is just the cherry on the cup … ;)
the younger kids prefer the 'like in TV'-look (Tobi's perfect mimicking of Bundesliga screen-design), the older ones prefer more 'highlite reels' like those

gosh, just two years ago! Those 'boys' are grown-up men with beards and cars… nice memories

it all started with miniDV and iMovie:

hahahaha!! :silly:

Newbie needs help with short cut 16 Nov 2017 08:43 #91735

• Schnurr
  • Gold Boarder
linus.morris wrote:
Hi Tobias,

That is really impressive. It looks so professional. I'd love to know some more information about the football/soccer templates.
will be looking to buy a proper digital camera at some point, especially if I take the step into doing this as a business.
I look forward to hearing back from you.
Business ??? you mean the parents should pay for that ?
you can write me an email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. as stated in the yt clip.

@Karsten, very very funny the video from 2007. Yes for that kind of moments we create the videos. Very impressive setup.

Lets see how good the new FlowMotion gimbal will work but basically I am satisfied with my setup of iP7 + Filmic and then the GoPros (but need to think about cheaper China action camera to put inside the goal).
Tobias

Newbie needs help with short cut 17 Nov 2017 00:51 #91760

6 Cameras?! :P wow, I'm not at that level just yet. Just let me get the hang of one first and take it from there.

I actually have pretty much no knowledge of cameras or indeed filming. As mentioned previously, it's been me and my trusty (not so trusty) mobile phone so I am very much learning as I go along. The zoom on my phone is pretty crap for what I am trying to do so a decent camera would be a big step up. Can you recommend a good waterproof, digital camcorder? I couldn't find the 'Pana707' you mentioned in your post.
3) iPhone + Apogee MetaRecorder (setting Favorites WHILE recording), Arrow) is a clip to hold the coaches phone

I was about to ask you what this was but I've just Googled it. Now I'm talking to myself! Yeah I have issues with wind on my phone so that is another reason to purchase a good camera.
running Fubalytics, a coach.app

I've never heard of this until now, what a fantastic idea ()

it is yet more proof that coaching in England is so far behind their European counterparts. I wish my son's team had this level of understanding and interest in their development.

I would love to have the tools (and time) to create individual and team statistics for his team a little like we see with Opta. Now that would be very interesting indeed.

Love your camera set up, it's great to see people as obsessed and interested in this as I am :P

Newbie needs help with short cut 17 Nov 2017 00:57 #91761

Business ??? you mean the parents should pay for that ?

Not for my son's team but setting up a service for a cameraman/editor to come along to a game and record a match and edit the footage. I have a few different ideas but it's something that I have considered for a while now.

I will send you an email now. Thanks

Newbie needs help with short cut 17 Nov 2017 16:43 #91775

• Schnurr
  • Gold Boarder
regarding wind that is an issue. But I would doubt that a cam would work without an windshield.

for my iPhone I just use my Nikon ME 1 and attach it to the gimbal. Be aware that depending of your device you need a switch in between
"Rode TRS-TRRS Adapter (3,5 mm Buchse auf Stecker) schwarz". Thats quite a cheap solution in case you already have a mic with wind shield.