Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Still fighting w compound clips ... after all these years.

Still fighting w compound clips ... after all these years. 13 Nov 2017 14:44 #91643

• parkerhqj
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I have an on-going job that has a logo with text at the beginning and end of each project. I'm suddenly run into a problem I thought I had solved and I'm not sure how it happened. I created a compound clip that included the logo and text and I need to change the text frequently. But when I copy the compound clip and change the text, it also changes it in the previous one. When I try to change the clip in the browser to a referenced parent clip, it is greyed out as an option. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to save and reuse as a template a logo with text? Is a compound clip even the way to go? thx!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Still fighting w compound clips ... after all these years. 13 Nov 2017 16:20 #91644

• lichinho
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
Before you make changes to a compound in the *timeline*, select it and do Clip->Reference New Parent Clip.

You have to do it in the timeline, not the browser - after all, the browser clip is the "parent" you need to change.

Still fighting w compound clips ... after all these years. 13 Nov 2017 17:57 #91645

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 184
I think you're using a Compound when you should have made a Title Template with Motion. I do TV series and have to do this daily. We use Motion Title and Generator templates and never have these issues.

Still fighting w compound clips ... after all these years. 14 Nov 2017 14:39 #91668

• parkerhqj
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks., I think you're right - Motion templates are the way to go. The only problem is that I use it so seldom, I need to relearn it all over again. But it will save me time. thx

Still fighting w compound clips ... after all these years. 14 Nov 2017 14:46 #91669

• lichinho
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
Take the title you are using in FCP X, control-click in the Titles browser and choose Open a copy in Motion.
This way you have all the title already done and just need to add the logo in. Pretty simple.
Then you start thinking: what if I want to change the logo? Answer: make it a drop zone. What if... and all of a sudden you see there is a LOT of things you can do in Motion.

Still fighting w compound clips ... after all these years. 14 Nov 2017 16:05 #91672

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
A bit off topic, but vaguely related;

I made a template for a 1:30 commercial spot. Every week I change two event dates. Then I have to change two logos, sometimes it only uses 1 logo. I made a generator template, rigged so it shows the group with two logos, or the group with one logo. I spent probably 3 days creating this. I've been using it weekly for a year, and I can get that spot done and uploaded to the client in literally 10 minutes. I've never made so much money in 10 minutes in my life. Heck, the first month of use paid for my three days or work to create it.

Point is, take the time now, it can save you a lot more time down the road, and make you more money per hour of work.

I find the more I learn to do with Motion, the more I use it, the more time I save. Like the famous equation states, E=MC(2), where E is time and MC(2) is money. Wait, that's not right...

Still fighting w compound clips ... after all these years. 14 Nov 2017 22:05 #91694

• parkerhqj
  • Platinum Boarder
That's great advice - and will keep me going when I'm ready to throw my laptop out the window because I'm too dense to figure out Motion workflows. thx

Still fighting w compound clips ... after all these years. 15 Nov 2017 00:40 #91698

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
Don't let Motion intimidate you. It's easier to learn then you think. Go to Ripple Training, great stuff there.

Still fighting w compound clips ... after all these years. 15 Nov 2017 06:11 #91702

creating a custom-build Title (or Generator) has. aside convenience, another plus: continuity.
It 'nails' the design, position of logo, font-size/colors, but also timing, animations, positions etc …

For instance, publishing just the 'content well' forces the Editor to use the Title 'as is'.
Less options, less hassle, faster use.

And some text with a logo … c'mon, this is no rocket-science in Motion ;)
(ask for support in the Motion section of this board…)

Still fighting w compound clips ... after all these years. 17 Nov 2017 21:28 #91780

• parkerhqj
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks everyone. I've moved over to the Motion forum to pester them for a while. thx