Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My Hard Drive is Full!

My Hard Drive is Full! 29 Nov 2017 01:59 #91973

• Yes
  • Junior Boarder
How can I free up some space on my Mac HD? Thank you.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

My Hard Drive is Full! 29 Nov 2017 05:33 #91978

• FCPX.guru
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 194
All you can do is copy stuff to another drive, and delete it from your main drive. You could run one of those bogus cache clearing apps, but they never free up any space of significance. Are you putting your Libraries and media on your system drive? You shouldn't. Move them to a fast secondary drive.

Also, in Preferences, turn off background rendering, and NEVER turn it back on.
Then select your Library in the Browser, go to the File menu, to "Delete Generated Library Files" and kill off ALL render files.

My Hard Drive is Full! 29 Nov 2017 08:29 #91981

• cdw1960
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
FCPX.guru wrote:
Also, in Preferences, turn off background rendering, and NEVER turn it back on

I can't find this 'background rendering' in FCPXs 'Preference' panel; do you have a different version to the rest of us? :whistle:

FOUND IT :oops:
Last Edit: 29 Nov 2017 08:32 by cdw1960.

My Hard Drive is Full! 01 Dec 2017 07:27 #92020

• Benzebub
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Go to your home folder. Select all folders and press CMD+i. This will open an info window for each file/folder. Wait for it to calculate the sizes of each folder. When that is done you will see in the top of each folder how much space it takes up.
With this information you can go in to the folders that uses the most space and from there determine if they contain anything you can delete or if you can move anything to an external drive.
You can repeat the step of selecting the folders inside a folder and showing the info to determine which subfolders contain lots of data.

Also, since you use Final Cut you can lookup how to delete render files in your library. Apple has a great article about this. This can help you free up lots of space as well

My Hard Drive is Full! 02 Dec 2017 00:24 #92043

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 168
Yes wrote:
How can I free up some space on my Mac HD? Thank you.

Download and scan your disk with OmniDiskSweeper. It is an excellent free tool for space management: www.omnigroup.com/more This will help you find the biggest space consumers on your hard disk then you can decide how to handle that.

You can also use Final Cut Library Manager to scan your libraries and delete unneeded space. It is inexpensive, safe, and works very well: www.arcticwhiteness.com/finalcutlibrarymanager/

My Hard Drive is Full! 11 Dec 2017 20:42 #92229

• Yes
  • Junior Boarder
FCPX.guru wrote:
Are you putting your Libraries and media on your system drive? You shouldn't. Move them to a fast secondary drive.
They're going on to my macs HD. How do I fix that? I already specified my external Lacie drive for some of the project files (sorry I can't remember exactly what I did). What else should I do?
Also, in Preferences, turn off background rendering, and NEVER turn it back on.
Then select your Library in the Browser, go to the File menu, to "Delete Generated Library Files" and kill off ALL render files.
Done. Not sure what that does, but thanks, I did it :-)