Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: giving project to someone without same plugins...

giving project to someone without same plugins... 02 Dec 2017 01:54 #92044

• fisherking
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
am back with another novice question!

i'm mostly finished with a project, now it goes to the cinematographer (who's doing color correction). he won't have a number of the 3rd-party plugins i've used... will he be able to work? am assuming he'd have to disable the plugins he doesn't have. is that correct?

once he's done, i'll do some last-minute fixes. but want to be sure we can go back & forth.

any advice about this? thoughts, suggestions? thank u
The administrator has disabled public write access.

giving project to someone without same plugins... 02 Dec 2017 11:55 #92049

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 168
There is no simple answer to this. The downstream editors will either need to disable the 3rd party plugin effects or have the same plugins installed in the same disk location. You can help identify these by using the utility X-FX handler: www.spherico.com/filmtools/X-Files/X-FXHandler/

It can be best to defer using external plugins until late in the development cycle, but your situation highlights a problem: color correction is one of the last steps and esp. if done outside, that person likely won't have the same plugins.

For some effects (eg color, esp. secondary tracked corrections, video noise reduction, etc) it makes sense to either leave all these for the colorist/finisher or do the base corrections using only built-in FCPX tools. IOW why fool around with Color Finale or tracked secondary color corrections via CoreMelt if an expert will be handling that in Resolve?

If your colorist is using Resolve, he probably wants an XML, not a rendered timeline. There are well-established round trip workflows between FCPX and Resolve; here is one series of articles: wolfcrow.com/blog/how-to-round-trip-from...ne-fcp-x-to-resolve/

However I don't know how 3rd party plugins are handled in that case. Maybe the people here doing FCPX/Resolve round tripping could advise.

If your colorist is not using Resolve but some other software, advise what that is so people here can better help you.

Another issue downstream editors often encounter is missing media. Even if they have a data set on a hard drive, in the typical hustle and bustle of last-minute editing, the upstream person often adds additional audio, graphics or video. Ideally these should all be put in a standardized location and sent to the downstream person as a small update package, but sometimes that doesn't happen. Unfortunately there is no way in FCPX to list the disk path of all assets, so you can't even check that before sending. I think the developer of X-FX handler is working on a tool which would allow the upstream editor to identify and resolve stray media not within the normal media folder.

giving project to someone without same plugins... 02 Dec 2017 12:39 #92051

• fisherking
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
great information, thank you! will find out more monday, and will check out X_FX handler (i'd already downloaded it, it did not seem to open, will try again). i did NOT do color work, but am sure my collab does not have the plugins i used for effects. will see how this goes...