Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: HIgh Sierra and FCPX

HIgh Sierra and FCPX 04 Dec 2017 00:24 #92064

• raineyeric
  • Fresh Boarder
My FCPX works for a bit then I have to restart my computer..because it starts chugging. Anybody else having this problem and have a fix?

macOS 10.13.1

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

HIgh Sierra and FCPX 04 Dec 2017 08:51 #92070

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 876
Make sure all your plugins are up-to-date.

If this does not solve your issue: wait for the FCP X update, or revert to Sierra if you cannot wait.

- Ronny

HIgh Sierra and FCPX 04 Dec 2017 16:01 #92076

• fisherking
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
working fine here.

what do you mean by 'chugging'? slow? beachballs? is your media on the internal hard drive, or an external? and, as ronny points out, is everything up-to-date?

HIgh Sierra and FCPX 04 Dec 2017 16:23 #92077

• FernKraft
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
odd question, but are you using a second monitor?

HIgh Sierra and FCPX 04 Dec 2017 18:47 #92078

• raineyeric
  • Fresh Boarder
I tried(but stopped) using my two monitor set up. One monitor was going through thunderbolt port the other going out of hdmi port. I have been editing like that for the past two years. With no problems. I found out quickly that the new software High Sierra doesn't like that. Has anybody heard is this going to be fixed? When I am having the chugging It happens when I am just using my laptop not plugged into anything. It happens after about 10 mins. When doing anything in the OS it is very slow. When trying to play in FCPX it studders while playing

I have tried to update my plug-ins. None of the sites with the plug-ins seem to make it easy to update and know that they definitely work on High Sierra. Correct me if I am wrong and am not looking in the right place. These are the plug-ins I have and if I have upgraded or am trying to figure out how to.

Coremelt- C2 Slice X ,Track X- Upgraded today (12/4/17)
ColorFinale- haven't upgraded and sent them a message
FxFactory- I think it is upgraded. I go into their software in applications and it says there are no updates. Should I try and look into this further?
MotionVFX
-MFlare and MFlare 2- I didn't see anywhere to update this software. Anybody have any ideas of links to upgrade. I am using this plugin in my cut
Neat Video- I haven't updated it and am not using it in my cuts.
osm.iPhone- I haven't updated it and am not using it in my cuts.
RedGiant
-Universe- I updated the Red Giant Link updates two days ago. I am using in my cuts
Crumple Pop - Echo Remover- Don't know how to update.- not using in any of my cuts
iZotope- RX 6 plugins- Don't know how to update- not using in any of my cuts

I just updated the Coremelt plug-in but I wasn't using it in a cut. I am using the Mflare plugins and the RedGiant universe plug-ins. Any thoughts on what to try?

HIgh Sierra and FCPX 04 Dec 2017 22:21 #92081

• raineyeric
  • Fresh Boarder
I am now not using a second monitor. I found out that it had problems right when I downloaded High Sierra. Does anybody know if this is going to get fixed?

So, I think it might have been a plug-in issue. It was either a Red Giant (Universe) update or the Coremelt C2 TrackX. I will report back if I still have problems. I first looked for info regarding updating plug-ins and didn't see any for some plug-ins. Does anybody have a link to some kind of document that shows what needs updating and where and how to do it? That would be helpful.

Thanks for your help!!!

HIgh Sierra and FCPX 05 Dec 2017 13:34 #92095

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 194
"I found out that it had problems right when I downloaded High Sierra. Does anybody know if this is going to get fixed?"

Yes, with the FCPX 10.4 upgrade coming this month. We hope...

High Sierra is giving a lot of users a lot of problems. I'm not upgrading until 10.4 is out and I see it runs fine.

HIgh Sierra and FCPX 05 Dec 2017 14:27 #92097

FCPX.guru wrote:
…High Sierra is giving a lot of users a lot of problems. …

No doubt, reading here and on other boards.-

But it's in the nature of such sites, that 'probs' get a post, 'no probs' usually not.

For instance, on my low-end, min-spec set-up, macHS + FCPX (10_3) I notice just a few, very minor flaws, Safari sometimes 'hesitates', or Preview either (resizing shows an empty screen for a few seconds). But no issues with Motion nor FCPX … ok, my projects are tiny.

And telling others 'no probs here' doesn't help… :unsure:

A scheme, which one could see:
second monitors
spinners as main drives, solo or FS
some GPUs, e.g. in 'cheese grinder' Mp or Hackintoshs
some plugins
… 
unfortunately many posts don't list their set-up…

HIgh Sierra and FCPX 05 Dec 2017 21:55 #92098

• ahWong
  • Fresh Boarder
I upgraded to High Sierra ... resulting in my FCPX not able to import any media. Every time I clicked the Import, it crashed. Google searched showed not much similar complaints from others, except one who mentioned FCPX crashed whenever a supplementary window was opened ( including the Import 'window' case ).

This happens in my iMac 21" (2012) with Fusion drive (1TB). High Sierra 13.3.1. FCPX 10.3.4.

My another MacBook Air (2010?) also upgraded to High Sierra at the same time... with same FCPX version... but runs OK ( no crash with Import media ).

However, my MacBook is bit slow... so I would want to have my new project start on my iMac. I am now stuck...

Any good advices ? ( Unfortunately, I somehow stupidly for some reason, stopped my Time Machine and used it as a data drive for my recent 1 month USA trip... and had not restarted the Time Machine before my High Sierra upgrade... a very very bad lesson to learn. ... now I cannot fall back to Sierra. )

HIgh Sierra and FCPX 06 Dec 2017 03:56 #92105

• fisherking
  • Junior Boarder
have you deleted the preference file? am running FCPX on a macbook pro with high sierra (full disclosure, am on the public betas) and the app is running beautifully.

am wondering if the fusion drive, on the new OS file system, is an issue. meanwhile... preferences? helped me a while back when i was having an issue with the app.

HIgh Sierra and FCPX 06 Dec 2017 04:33 #92109

• ahWong
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Fisherking.

"delete preference file" ? ... not sure what that referred to... please elaborate.

... and yes, I am suspecting if anything to do with the Fusion drive. But then if that's the case, there must be many similar complain cases... that I could not find (found only one case in Google search).

HIgh Sierra and FCPX 06 Dec 2017 04:58 #92110

• ahWong
  • Fresh Boarder
I found the 'delete preference file' from Apple Support...

To reset preferences in Final Cut Pro X 10.3 or later:
Quit Final Cut Pro.
Hold down the Command and Option keys, then open Final Cut Pro.
Click Delete Preferences.
Try to reproduce the issue you were experiencing. If the issue no longer occurs, open Final Cut Pro preferences and reapply your custom settings.
UNQUOTE

... Tried it out... but the problem still exists... sigh

HIgh Sierra and FCPX 06 Dec 2017 15:45 #92115

• tpf1952
  • Senior Boarder
On my late 2016 15" MacBook Pro, on which High Sierra is installed, FCPX will crash instantly and every time I start up the app if my laptop is in clamshell mode. No such problems with the same setup on my late 2016 13" MacBook Pro. Living with this until 10.4.

Tom

HIgh Sierra and FCPX 06 Dec 2017 15:50 #92116

• fisherking
  • Junior Boarder
same question: have you deleted the pref file? (hold command-option when opening FCPX). or tried reinstalling the app? am also on a 13" mbp (late 2015)
Last Edit: 06 Dec 2017 15:51 by fisherking.

HIgh Sierra and FCPX 06 Dec 2017 15:54 #92117

• tpf1952
  • Senior Boarder
I've pulled out all the stops: deleting preferences, deleting and reinstalling FCPX. For a while I reinstalled Sierra -- and that made everything work fine. I don't know why I don't have more patience and skip over High Sierra. Nutty, I guess.

Again, my 13" late 2016 MacBook Pro handles Sierra in clamshell mode just fine; it's the 15" model that doesn't. Different video drivers.

Tom

HIgh Sierra and FCPX 06 Dec 2017 18:36 #92122

• sconnor99
  • Expert Boarder
Apple just released a new High Sierra update, fingers crossed it helps! Or perhaps it's a precursor to the release of 10.4 today :)

HIgh Sierra and FCPX 06 Dec 2017 19:51 #92123

I'm running into the same problem. Every time i try to import i'm crashing. I have unmounted all drives and deleted all preferences and i have the most recent version 10.13.1.

HIgh Sierra and FCPX 06 Dec 2017 22:12 #92125

• tpf1952
  • Senior Boarder
Installed 10.3.2, but FCPX and Motion still don't run in clamshell mode on my late 2016 15" MacBook Pro.

It's not the end of the world....it's not the end of the world....

Tom

HIgh Sierra and FCPX 07 Dec 2017 01:03 #92127

• asilver
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Maybe the issue!

I contacted Apple about this (High Sierra/FCP X), and the engineering team contacted me back. FCP would crash upon import when the laptop (15" MacBook Pro Touch Bar Late 2016) was in clamshell mode (laptop closed, hooked up to my Apple Thunderbolt Display). I was able to import with the Thunderbolt Display connected if I opened up the laptop.

So, it seems to be happening, at least for me, in clamshell mode only.

Adam

PS Crap, I see you guys figured out the clamshell mode. I reported this back the day High Sierra launched, so engineering knows about it.
Last Edit: 07 Dec 2017 01:04 by asilver.

HIgh Sierra and FCPX 07 Dec 2017 13:10 #92133

• ahWong
  • Fresh Boarder
Good that I now have another one got the same 'Import - crash' problem as mine. Are you also on iMac Fusion drive? I am fine on my another MacBook but not my iMac Fusion drive.

Tried the 'delete preference file', etc... but in vain.

Just now I also installed the High Sierra 10.13.2 (released Dec6)... with high hope... but then very disappointed... the problem still exists... I am now totally stuck and cannot start my new FCPX project... ( my MacBook is too slow for that ).

SIGH...
  • Page: