Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Best practice advise? 2 editors, 1 project - new content …

Best practice advise? 2 editors, 1 project - new content … 13 Jan 2018 05:14 #93226

/hobbyist speaking - forgive me my ignorance!/

sooo, first time we edit one project on two machines (school, home); duplicated the Lib, exported the projects xml - easy like that!

But…
I noticed, I have to add some new content, stills and short clips … for sure, those don't transfer magically into the other machines FCPX.

What do you suggest as best-practice to handle that ?
(no internet-based solutions, please … schools iNet is 'filtered'…)
Last Edit: 13 Jan 2018 08:10 by Karsten Schlüter.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Best practice advise? 2 editors, 1 project - new content … 13 Jan 2018 10:53 #93229

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 207
Karsten Schlüter wrote:
...sooo, first time we edit one project on two machines (school, home); duplicated the Lib, exported the projects xml - easy like that!...I noticed, I have to add some new content, stills and short clips … for sure, those don't transfer magically into the other machines FCPX....What do you suggest as best-practice to handle that ?...(no internet-based solutions, please … schools iNet is 'filtered'…)

If you are collaboratively editing on two machines, they must have the same media. If you can't send the updates via internet, you'll have to transfer it on a drive or USB stick.

A good practice is always copy new media to a single folder before importing. However in the rush of late post production this doesn't always happen.

A frequent problem we have on large collaboratively-edited documentaries is identifying which new files were added so they are sent correctly on the 1st attempt. Imagine shipping a drive with new media only to find several files are missing. Fortunately Andreas has written a utility to help with this: www.fcp.co/fcp-forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-f...ss-hard-drives#92661

If you are using proxies you can reduce the volume of data by about 1/2 by using an all-proxy workflow. In this scheme the proxies are stored outside the library and the downstream editors use only proxy. The overall management of this is somewhat complex, but we use it. The procedure is described in the Ripple Training Media Management class: www.rippletraining.com/products/final-cu...-final-cut-pro-10-4/

Once the new media items are sent to the other editor and imported, you can send them an updated project or event XML. The tricky part is if the other editor has done work (e.g, rating, keywords, edits) in the interim while you were preparing and sending the media. In that case loading an event XML will overwrite their work. The 3rd party utility MergeX can avoid this by merging in the changes and giving priority to the downstream editor in case of a conflict. However it does not work for projects, just metadata, and all projects must be in a separate event: www.merge.software/

To just send an updated or new project, create a "transfer library" -- on the same physical volume -- and copy just the project to that. Give the project a unique name beforehand, like "Karsten's New Edits". Because the transfer library is on the same volume the media will not be copied. Then close the transfer library, compress it and send to the other editor. They will open it and (if drive his drive volume name differs from yours) must either select in Library Inspector the new media location or relink the new media.

Most discussions of collaborative work assume (1) They are LAN-connected and (2) Multiple editors are working on the same or related timelines -- IOW the "timeline edit phase". Neither of these represent some common cases.

As in your case, the collaborative editors are often NOT LAN connected. They may be intermittently cloud connected or have to transfer physical media.

Also, when using FCPX you typically spend lots of time in an organizational phase before putting anything on a timeline. Multiple editors are rating, keywording, rejecting, creating multicams, etc. In that case multiple editors working on the same or multiple events must somehow coordinate or merge their work without overwriting each other. The simple answer is have each editor work in a separate event, assuming the overall media is split across events. Then that metadata work can be sent via an event XML. However this must be manually coordinated as there is no locking whatsoever in FCPX to support this.

As I've mentioned previously, when sending event or library XMLs, all your camera files must have absolutely unique filenames otherwise it triggers a bug in XML processing which produces spurious duplicate clips. I use the utility "A Better Finder Rename" to achieve this before import: www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderRename/

Best practice advise? 2 editors, 1 project - new content … 13 Jan 2018 11:33 #93230

…ok, I asked for 'best practice'… let's talk about 'a little less than best'… ;)
(it's a single-shot, 40min project, sort-of 'That was his life' for the retiring principal, … forget keywords & like for the additional material)

So, basically, in my simple words:
We create on both machines an empty Event … 'Extras'.
When I add new content to my version of the Project, I drag everything into some Folder on my drive: "Extras Folder", and import into FCPX/Event 'Extras' from there,

I copy my 'Extras Folder' to a stick, later at school onto his machine, into his local 'Extras Folder', and then he imports the new files into his local 'Extras' Event.
On opening my xml, the Project will find the new stuff …(=same file names, same files, same Event, just a different machine…)

Right?
That easy… ?? :huh:
I apprehended 'hidden IDs' or 'unequal pathnames', or whatever …

THANKS Joe, will bookmark your reply and following it, when we do 'real' projects at the school…

Best practice advise? 2 editors, 1 project - new content … 13 Jan 2018 11:49 #93232

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 207
Karsten Schlüter wrote:
I copy my 'Extras Folder' to a stick, later at school onto his machine, into his local 'Extras Folder', and then he imports the new files into his local 'Extras' Event.
On opening my xml, the Project will find the new stuff …(=same file names, same files, same Event, just a different machine…) …

That should work provided the file pathnames and disk volume names are the same. If they are not he'll need to relink.

If you are using proxies, those are contained in the library by default so they'd need rebuilding on the destination machine for the new media.

Best practice advise? 2 editors, 1 project - new content … 13 Jan 2018 16:16 #93240

joema wrote:
…That should work provided the file pathnames and disk volume names are the same. If they are not he'll need to relink.….

yeah, sure - sure the pathnames are different, and sure, relinking, but that is just one more click… 

The suggestion of a 'generic bargain bin' to swap files helps a lot. I guess, that's the best way for our amateur set-up, NOT to confuse the database…… :)