Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: About pics in posts…

About pics in posts… 28 Jan 2018 08:06 #93744

Your grumpy Mod from Germany speaking here …
Frequently posters fail to add pics in their posts, so, a few remarks from the janitor:

• Size/Format
pic/file size is restricted - for various reasons.
Unfortunately, well known screen-grab shortcut cmd-shift-3 creates full-screen png - nice & detailed, but huge. Too huge.
=> before uploading, use Preview.app to resize&reformat, suggestion: max 1200pix wide (or long) and as jpg.

• What
Cmd-shift-4 allows to drag open a selection rectangle… less is more!

• Attaching
To attach a pic, use the Attach button in the Post Editor.

• Inserting
To insert a pic in your text, you have to Attach it first, then hit Insert

• Does it need a pic? This pic?
Sometimes, a pic tells more than a 1k words, sometimes it lefts the watcher clueless. Mentioned Preview.app has an impressive toolset of circles, arrows, a loupe, colors etc to direct attention. I’m talking to movie-makers, hey, you should know! ;)

• Does it illustrate the problem/post?
A full-size screen-grab of your About-this-Mac doesn’t add any info you couldn’t write in half a line of text. When you discuss a before/after prob, it should be two pics, shouldn' it? Trouble with Inspector settings should show … you got the idea.

• No full-quotes! Please. Just for me.
… ok, there’s no board-rule telling this, just personal preference, sort of politeness … esp. a mile-long full-quote with dozen of pics and an added “yeah, right on” or like makes me arghgh.-

• Ext. Storage
Some prefer to attach a link to some external service … be kind to us, use services which don’t make my Mac going rogue popping up all sorts of ads and ‘polls’ ask membership or whatever.

• Links to pics
Check your link. Which leads to: …

• Check your post after posting it
When I don’t see a pic in your post, you don’t do either. Edit it. No ‘fire and forget’, please.

… this post is beyond 140characters and includes no pics - hmmm? Not so smart. ;)

THANK YOU for listening!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

About pics in posts… 28 Jan 2018 12:46 #93745

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 254
Thank you for this post, Karsten!

I'd like to tell what I do when posting screen shots. Open in Preview, 1st thing, Tools > Resize, set width to 1200 (height is going to be whatever). Then Export to a JPEG, 80% quality. That pretty much always works here.

Bear in mind the Mac, and depending on the monitor it is using, can do screen shots at 144dpi, and at a full screen size (in pixels) that makes for a very needlessly HUGE image.

Yeah, your Mac is powerful, but the internet is not that powerful...
The administrator has disabled public write access.