Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: FCPX Transition not in between clips

FCPX Transition not in between clips 10 Feb 2018 02:15 #94059

• alexch
  • Fresh Boarder
I am using FCPX to edit video & photos. I used to be able to drag and drop a transition in between clips, and it worked fine. But in my new video projects, I just CANNOT drag a drop a transition IN-BETWEEN clips.

I went back to my previous project and checked, the transition still works in that video. Transition can be applied in between clips on that video. But in this new project, the transition only can be applied to BOTH-ENDS of a video or a photo. Also , I cannot drag that transition to make it "in-between." WHY??

Can someone share their experience?

Thank you.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

FCPX Transition not in between clips 10 Feb 2018 04:16 #94061

• JarrodMFay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Do you have the clip selected when you drag the transition on? Try selecting the vertical line between the two clips and then drag the transition on that. It works fine for me.

FCPX Transition not in between clips 10 Feb 2018 05:50 #94065

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 652
Can you post a screenshot of the timeline area where the transition cannot be applied?

FCPX Transition not in between clips 10 Feb 2018 14:57 #94077

• JarrodMFay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Sorry, I won't be in front of my editing workstation until tomorrow. Meanwhile just try clicking on the edge of the shot where you want the transition and drag the transition there. See if that does what you're asking.

FCPX Transition not in between clips 11 Feb 2018 11:21 #94084

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 202
alexch wrote:
....I used to be able to drag and drop a transition in between clips, and it worked fine. But in my new video projects, I just CANNOT drag a drop a transition IN-BETWEEN clips...in this new project, the transition only can be applied to BOTH-ENDS of a video or a photo. Also , I cannot drag that transition to make it "in-between." WHY??...

When applying a transition, you may get the warning: "there is not enough extra media beyond clip edges to create the transition". Maybe your previous material had longer head/tail "handles" on the clips, and you did not get this error then.

Since a transition between two clips must have some overlap area for the transition, if insufficient media "handles" exist it must pull media from both clips to make the transition. As implemented, this creates a ripple edit and slightly shortens the timeline. On fixed-length material, this might be undesirable.

This is further complicated by FCPX always putting all transitions "on center" -- IOW you cannot bias the transition toward one side of the clip.

At 33:30 into this video, editor Mike Matzdorff demonstrates a small but very useful trick in FCPX to avoid this. Note the keyboard command he uses to lift the clip and create a gap is OPT+CMD+ up arrow.

Note also once the transition effect is added the clip becomes a secondary storyline and must be dragged by the "shelf" -- the little border on top.

Last Edit: 11 Feb 2018 11:21 by joema.