Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: I am attempting to capture foottage from a Sony tape deck to FCPX.

I am attempting to capture foottage from a Sony tape deck to FCPX. 13 Feb 2018 04:29 #94100

• Nemo
  • Junior Boarder
Sony HD tape deck to FCP 10.2.3 iMac 2017. My cable and connectors are IEEE-1394 to 6 pin firewire, What do I need now in order to adapt the 6 pin firewire to Apple Thunderbolt and where can I purchase it?

Thanks for your assistance.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I am attempting to capture foottage from a Sony tape deck to FCPX. 13 Feb 2018 13:55 #94106

• C_Campbell
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello, the cabling isn't pretty — and there's no simple solution — but with three (!) adapters, this can be done. I'm connecting a Sony DSR-45A digital videocassette recorder to an iMac Pro to create Final Cut Pro X archives of old tapes. My basic Firewire cable is one that Sony supplied years ago (with pale violet connectors). The small 4-pin end plugs in to the "DV" port on the recorder, and the cable has a standard Firewire 400 (6-pin) connector at the other end. This needs to be converted from Firewire 400 to Firewire 800 (using a small, inexpensive adapter) in order to make use of an Apple adapter: Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt. Now we're getting close, but we need one more adapter: an Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. The three adapters together are almost 13 inches long, but they each do their job, and on my system they work flawlessly. Here are links to the three adapters:

www.amazon.com/elago-FireWire-Adapter-Ma...ts=p_85%3A2470955011

www.amazon.com/Apple-Thunderbolt-to-Fire...TEYF2MP72ZPZHNZNTD2R

www.amazon.com/Apple-MMEL2AM-Thunderbolt...bolt+3+adapter+apple

Good luck!

Christopher Campbell
www.cbcampbell.com
Last Edit: 14 Feb 2018 15:34 by C_Campbell.

I am attempting to capture foottage from a Sony tape deck to FCPX. 13 Feb 2018 14:26 #94109

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 247
Apple has an 8 pin FW to T'bolt adapter. You're on FCPX 10.2, on a brand new iMac? Why?
www.apple.com/shop/product/MD464LL/A/app...-to-firewire-adapter

I am attempting to capture foottage from a Sony tape deck to FCPX. 14 Feb 2018 04:27 #94123

FCPX.guru wrote:
Apple has an 8 pin FW to T'bolt adapter. …

looks like T2 … iMac2017 asks for T3/usb-c, see above above post.

fun coincidence: actually 'digitizing' 18 (eighteen!) years old tapes, brave Sony Cam with a smashed TFT, tapes stored sub-op in a shoebox - works like charm! Impressive. Lucky me, my ol' 2012 macMini has a fw-port, so, just one cable needed - but don't ask real people in real e-supplier shops for 'firewire' - just laughter. My Thanks, and 8€, belong to the skilled people in Shang Zhen … LOL

I am attempting to capture foottage from a Sony tape deck to FCPX. 19 Feb 2018 18:42 #94231

• Nemo
  • Junior Boarder
I have gotten as far as the 400 pin firewire to 800 pin firewire adapter, however, I cannot locate an adapter from 800 pin firewire to thunderbolt for the latest 2017 iMac.

I have searched Amazon and Google but no success.

Any URL's that I might try in order to locate the final stage of these connectors?

Thanks

I am attempting to capture foottage from a Sony tape deck to FCPX. 19 Feb 2018 21:16 #94232

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
OK, so we're into the USB-C type of Thunderbolt 3 adapter? Wow... you may need to also find a T'bolt 1 to T'bolt 3 (USB-C) adapter. I have one for an old T'bolt 1 drive on my iMac Pro.

Or just get a Thunderbolt HUB that has FW800 on it. I've seen a few of those around.

Not sure if either (extending the daily chain or HUB) will work.

I'd seriously consider a cheap, old Mac laptop off of eBay that did only one thing, capture tape, with an older OS version and native FW and everything. Capture all that tape there with QT or something, WiFi those files over to the newer Mac for editing.

I am attempting to capture foottage from a Sony tape deck to FCPX. 19 Feb 2018 22:09 #94233

• Nemo
  • Junior Boarder
Thank you. I greatly appreciate your suggestions. I am a retired network documentary/news camera guy now producing pro bono fund raising videos for the Homeless. At my age it wouldn't be wise to purchase one of the latest Sony's so I must stick with the old tape method of recording images. Your idea of capturing the footage to my older Mac using QT and then bumping the footage over to the new iMac is a good one. I shall proceed in that direction.

Thanks very much.

I am attempting to capture foottage from a Sony tape deck to FCPX. 19 Feb 2018 22:15 #94234

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
Up to date camera and such saves you tons of time, so it "could" be worth while. But, yeah, pro bono, you use what you got. I'm interested in how you get that old tape deck working.

I am attempting to capture foottage from a Sony tape deck to FCPX. 19 Feb 2018 22:34 #94235

• Nemo
  • Junior Boarder
I have taken excellent care of my old Sony tape deck and it still functions well. It just didn't keep up with the times. Come to think of it, I guess I haven't either. I will attempt a work-around as suggested.