Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Colour normalisation for floodlights (soccer)

Colour normalisation for floodlights (soccer) 12 Apr 2018 21:47 #95121

Hi Folks

First question: Is there a simple way to restore colour when filming under Flood Lights ie during a soccer game. Some of the locations have quite good lights that are 'fuller spectrum' lights, others seem not to be as full spectrum and the image looks dull (please excuse my lack of technical words here)

Second question (not exactly FCP): i film soccer, currently using a HC-WX970 Panasonic. Its a great little cam (1080@50 fps) that performs very well. Only downside is night shots (under poor flood lights ;) ). If i was to upgrade, which is the best sports video camera sub $US2000 ?

Thanks Guys !
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Colour normalisation for floodlights (soccer) 13 Apr 2018 05:45 #95122

Hi Graham,

… yep, those Soda-Lamps (…sodium vapor lights) are a pest. Trouble is: they indeed have a super-narrow spectrum, well, no spectrum at all. So, you can give a Balance Color (⌥-⌘-B ) a try, but often this results in even more weird colors …

Some clubs have some 'mixed' lights, my camera (Lumix FZ1000, APSC-sized sensor) gives some, say, acceptable white-balancing, here an example :

sodalamp.jpg

… but 'pure' sodium-vapor is just yellow. - You can trick, a bit, the audience by lowering the Saturation => gives a more black/white impression …

conc. cam:
Your cam is a good one in its price range and for your purposes. On super-low-light conditions (school theatre, dark=art :blink: ), I set my cameras to 50i, which allows a slow shutter of 1/25th … ok for theatre, no good for sports (too much motion blur).

sooo, … a bigger, faster sensor, faster glas, … considered myself, for other needs, devices like Pana G70/G80/G… but, with a fast lens, esp. zooms, >300mm, you soon break your wallet. Not to speak of low-light beasts as Sony 6000/6300/6500 <sigh>

Tell your team to play better => higher league => better stadiums => better light … LOL!!!

* I insist on calling 'our' game football = played with feet and a ball, not with hands and a pill!! ;)
Last Edit: 13 Apr 2018 05:46 by Karsten Schlüter.

Colour normalisation for floodlights (soccer) 13 Apr 2018 07:29 #95124

Hi Karsten

Well she plays in the national premier league, so apart from being professional thats as goos as it gets in Australia ;)
This weeks game was in the Team App cup, its an early round and there are lower league teams still playing, hence the soda lights, our home ground has just been upgraded ... its bliss, like playing in day light. I was wondering if they were LED based ? Any how ...

Thanks again for the answer, i was hoping you'd have nailed this one already ;) alas no.

So for an upgrade (if i ever did) I'm seeing that your a solid SLR kinda guy, i was wondering about splurging on a Canon 80 ... with some half decent glass,

Mind you now (as ever) you have me interested in the ring around Alex .... is that a motion thing ? how have you done that, does it track the player ... Just not fair Karsten to add bits like this to a question i have ;)

Hope your keeping well and thank for the reminder ... Yes its football !!!!!! hahahaha

Graham

Colour normalisation for floodlights (soccer) 13 Apr 2018 07:55 #95125

graham.bayley wrote:
… I'm seeing that your a solid SLR kinda guy ... Yes its football !!!!!! hahahaha…

… in Downunder, you additionally do have a thing called Footsie, am I right?? And, again, grabbing the ball with the bare hands! :silly:

No, I'm clue… mirrorless: my b-rolls are cheap camcorders (PanaHCV 707 and a CanonLegria…wotever), my main cam, the Lumix is a bridge/super-zoom, for 'art' I still have a Sony NEX5 and some antique Canon glas (50/f1.4… for DoF beauty shots…) .

No, I'm actually fine with all my stuff, just recently discovered RAW (photo) for me… no NEED for a new cam… but IF… it should allow swappable lenses. And 4k. And 10k ISOs. And … affordable.

Yep, in the pro-pro leagues, flood-lights in stadiums are LED based; local Champ FC Bayern has some, allowing e.g. 'pulse-lighting' (on/off fast) - which would kill traditional high-power lamps, and colors and stuff…

Yep, that - do I have to mention it? - animated highlite circle is a Motion-thing… no auto-tracking, you have to set keyframes, … you can easily slam that together, if I remember correctly, that 'watch face circle' is part of Motions content… apply a mask, publish Transform parameters to adjust size and perspective in FC, done.

Give a a man a fish, and he stops starving that day; teach him to fish and… ;)

Colour normalisation for floodlights (soccer) 16 Apr 2018 20:45 #95183

Hi K

So i got out the rod and tackle over the weekend and made one ;)

Some questions (as ever)

1) in you image above, the circle is not complete and looks like its absorbed by the ground, nice look, is it intentional, done by a mask, layering effect ?
2) when you place the circle on the pitch, what the order in FCP (im assuming pitch layer then circle on top)
3) when you've layered correctly in 2) whats the blending that you find works well (keeping the circle on the floor and not letting bleed over any leg movements through it?)

Thanks Mate !

Graham

Colour normalisation for floodlights (soccer) 17 Apr 2018 09:58 #95185

plugin attached … for your own improvements …
to answer your Qgraham.bayley wrote:
… 1) in you image above, the circle is not complete and looks like its absorbed by the ground, nice look, is it intentional, done by a mask, layering effect ?…

no, the circle 'lays' on the green, so, not to intersect my son, a slice is masked-out of that circle … this is a very frequent design for any sports footage

And: no layers, it's an Effect (could be a Generator too, can't remember why I've chosen effect)
graham.bayley wrote:

2) when you place the circle on the pitch, what the order in FCP (im assuming pitch layer then circle on top)

already answered …

graham.bayley wrote:
… 3) when you've layered correctly in 2) whats the blending that you find works well (keeping the circle on the floor and not letting bleed over any leg movements through it?)

circle should be set big enough not to chop off any body parts; plus the slice, mentioned above.

That thing was done quick'n dirty … would allow enhancements as speed, direction … comp-mode ('Screen' comes handy with such overlays)
Attachments: