Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: updated project to fcpx 10.4 - weird results

updated project to fcpx 10.4 - weird results 14 Apr 2018 19:33 #95151

• parkerhqj
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I updated an older file to 10.4 and this is what I got. Not sure where to go wit this and even less suer why my font was turned into Cyrillic or whatever that is. Any suggestions? thx
The administrator has disabled public write access.

updated project to fcpx 10.4 - weird results 14 Apr 2018 19:35 #95152

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 662
Is there supposed to be an attached image? There's nothing here.

updated project to fcpx 10.4 - weird results 14 Apr 2018 19:36 #95153

• parkerhqj
  • Platinum Boarder
Sorry - don't know what 's wrong. I've made the screen shot into a jpeg and inserted it but nothing is showing up..

Never had this happen before . I copy the attachment message in the window and it shows in the preview but when I submit it, nothing appears here. It's a 650kb jpeg and I can't think of any reason it shouldn't upload. I've run out of time in any case. Got a plane to catch and a mutilated project. to deal with when I land!

thx
Last Edit: 14 Apr 2018 19:54 by parkerhqj.

updated project to fcpx 10.4 - weird results 14 Apr 2018 20:26 #95154

• parkerhqj
  • Platinum Boarder
The message I've received is "FCP can';t save changes to (my project). The storage location for one or more libraries is no longer available,. The libraries will be closed so that no work is lost. " I'll try to find a way to share the screenshot with the bizarre font garble. I'll check my back up once I'm home and see what files might be causing this problem. I never had an issue with this project before the upgrade.

updated project to fcpx 10.4 - weird results 14 Apr 2018 20:39 #95155

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 287
Here's how to format a graphic to upload to this forum.
www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/...-about-pics-in-posts

updated project to fcpx 10.4 - weird results 15 Apr 2018 12:59 #95163

• parkerhqj
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the link. I thought I had made the file small enough already. I guess not. One more try. It's tiny - 94 kb.

newscreenshotevensmaller.jpg

updated project to fcpx 10.4 - weird results 15 Apr 2018 13:30 #95165

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 287
Has this Library been moved to a different drive? Has the drive's name been changed? That is usually a very literal error message. Something has changed, but what?

updated project to fcpx 10.4 - weird results 15 Apr 2018 15:43 #95168

• Doug
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I would try letting the Library close, then opening it again. When it opens, it should force you to set your Media, Cache and Motion Content settings. There you can point it to the proper locations on your system and hopefully it will fix the problem! Good luck!

updated project to fcpx 10.4 - weird results 15 Apr 2018 16:28 #95171

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 199
Since you are on 10.4 does this mean your OS is still Sierra or did you update to High Sierra? If you are on High Sierra perhaps the drive (if SSD) was changed to APFS (which possibly could be the issue). A spinning drive would not be affected. If you are not on High Sierra, then this wouldn't be the issue.
Creating history....one edit at a time !
Last Edit: 15 Apr 2018 16:29 by dgwvideo.

updated project to fcpx 10.4 - weird results 16 Apr 2018 14:00 #95175

• parkerhqj
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks for these responses. I have a bunch of libraries on this particular drive and this is the only one giving me problems. It was a while ago that I created it and I don't know if I ever renamed the library. The original media folder is a mixture of aliases and files that are actually in the library itself. I usually have an external folder for media on larger libraries and just import them into smaller libraries. Why I did it this way is a mystery. Still don't know why fcpx shuts down the library because of missing files.

I am still on Sierra. I'm nervous about upgrading to High Sierra, Have most of you already done thins? I don't want to create new complications.

thx!

updated project to fcpx 10.4 - weird results 16 Apr 2018 15:18 #95177

• Albo
  • Senior Boarder
I updated to High Sierra just before starting the edit of a new project.
iMac latest but not Pro.
No problems.

updated project to fcpx 10.4 - weird results 16 Apr 2018 17:00 #95180

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
Doug wrote:
I would try letting the Library close, then opening it again. When it opens, it should force you to set your Media, Cache and Motion Content settings.

There is no need to close and then reopen a library to do this. You can simply click on the library in the browser, and then in the inspector choose to modify the storage locations by clicking the "modify settings" button.

updated project to fcpx 10.4 - weird results 16 Apr 2018 17:18 #95181

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
parkerhqj wrote:
I am still on Sierra. I'm nervous about upgrading to High Sierra, Have most of you already done thins? I don't want to create new complications.

I suppose any complications may vary depending on what computer and configuration you have. I think for the most part HS is fairly stable now. I just recently upgraded to HS on a Mac Pro mid 2010 12 core machine so I could take advantage of FCPX 10.4.1. The machine first performed a firmware update and then proceeded to install HS. After that, and some subsequent OS updates including the new Pro Video Formats, I installed 10.4.1. My machine has no support for Metal but overall it seems to work perfectly. I did have to re-install BMD desktop Video, Coremelt Plugins and a couple others, but that was simple and fast. I also reset my Audio MIDI setup parameters. Some users reported issues with sound playback when not doing this. I believe there were also some FX Factory plugins that had to be re-downloaded and installed, but only a few. The system and FCPX seem much quicker and read and write to all my SSD's, Spinning RAID arrays and other hard disks. I was cautious, as are you, but now glad I made the move and had the downtime to do it. I was prepared to do a clean install but thought I'd try to just update and see how that goes. For me, it went perfectly, seems to run fine and saved me days of reconfiguration. There are some Apple apps that will no longer work, such as Logic Studio 9, Soundtrack Pro, Waveburner, Apple Loops Utility, etc. Probably also a few third party apps if they don't offer HS support. Not a big deal for me and I had ample backups just in case something went South.

updated project to fcpx 10.4 - weird results 17 Apr 2018 10:20 #95186

• parkerhqj
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks. Very helpful advice.