Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Colour Shift in Footage

Colour Shift in Footage 16 Apr 2018 23:46 #95184

After colour grading my film in FCP X (I used FCP X to grade because film did not require extensive grading) I noticed a colour shift on the blue blinds during the jib shot on the right side (4:30).

I was wondering if there is an easy way to fix it.

Here is the link to the film:
drive.google.com/file/d/15n6XpPuPZkrL2Q1JEeFYNsazJusjenBf/view
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Colour Shift in Footage 18 Apr 2018 02:01 #95204

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 195
If what you are referring to is the long curtain on the right side being darker and more deeply saturated than the left one, you can fix this in a couple ways. Probably the easiest would be to use a draw mask to expose just that curtain, and re-color/de-saturate to match the other curtain. You should be able to do that fairly easily using the Draw Mask in the effects browser and then with the FCPX color controls, or using a plugin like Color Finale. I don't believe you would have enough control simply using the shape mask in the color controls and sampling the darker curtain, which is why I'm suggesting the draw mask.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Colour Shift in Footage 18 Apr 2018 03:54 #95205

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 264
Chromatic, it has a trackable mask built-in.

Colour Shift in Footage 18 Apr 2018 14:07 #95209

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes, Chromatic is a good solution, but in this case, the first jib shot has very minimal movement (very easy to keyframe) and then cuts to wide shot of the curtains with no movement where the correction needs to be applied.

Colour Shift in Footage 19 Apr 2018 02:53 #95216

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 264
I still love Chromatic over Color Finale. I personally find the tools easier, more flexible, and more precise. Especially the match color function. But everyone has a personal favorite.

Colour Shift in Footage 19 Apr 2018 05:19 #95218

… use a Colormask in the CC inspector to select the curtain … no manual masks needed, 'tracks' automatically …

Colour Shift in Footage 19 Apr 2018 06:13 #95219

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
Karsten, I think given the color hue being so similar to the other curtain using the color mask wouldn't give the best results without affecting both curtains (unless the clip was duplicated and cropped to the offending areas). A draw mask on the main clip seems to me to be the fastest way to fix this (aside from Chromatic if the OP wants to purchase a plugin). Not sure what you mean by the color mask in FCPX "tracks automatically". It would still require key framing (although minimal)....unless there's a new feature I'm not aware of. UPDATE BELOW:

Forget the last part - now I realize "tracks automatically" means that once the color is changed nothing else needs to be done. But the initial results I think still won't be as good.
Last Edit: 19 Apr 2018 06:14 by dgwvideo.

Colour Shift in Footage 19 Apr 2018 06:36 #95220

dgwvideo wrote:
… Not sure what you mean by the color mask in FCPX "tracks automatically". …
Forget the last part - now I realize "tracks automatically" means that once the color is changed nothing else needs to be done. But the initial results I think still won't be as good.

I meant: when the by-color-selected part changes its position/shape over time, the selection is adopted accordingly… 

…can not find quickly that old RT tut, helicopter/sky corrections, which demos the use of color-mask. I dare to say, Color-Masks are a bit underrated… ;)

And: I would give the Curves a shot… same. story here: when you select a color, by color, it is 'tracked' … sorry for abusing the word! No better at hand…

Needed a while to make my inner gear go clonk:
The Hue is 'tracked', not an area… that simple.

For sure, a dirt-mask comes helpful for many tasks…

Colour Shift in Footage 19 Apr 2018 14:05 #95223

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes, I'm with you on all of that. My point was that the color mask or even curves will affect the specific color in the scene that you select. Put another car with a red roof next to the car in the tutorial and you will see that very similar colors will be affected. It might be worth a shot for the OP to try, but I think the adjustment will not be purely isolated to the problem curtain this way.

Colour Shift in Footage 19 Apr 2018 15:03 #95226

• lichinho
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 57
dgwvideo wrote:
Yes, I'm with you on all of that. My point was that the color mask or even curves will affect the specific color in the scene that you select. Put another car with a red roof next to the car in the tutorial and you will see that very similar colors will be affected. It might be worth a shot for the OP to try, but I think the adjustment will not be purely isolated to the problem curtain this way.

So... combine the two. A color mask AND a shape mask.

Colour Shift in Footage 19 Apr 2018 15:33 #95228

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes, that could also work as I pointed out in my first post of this thread. But I prefer the draw mask using points and that was my suggestion. Clearly there is more than one way to fix the OP's problem.
Last Edit: 19 Apr 2018 15:33 by dgwvideo.