Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: FCP 10.4.1 Using the new - New Closed Captioning Feature in a broadcast environment.

FCP 10.4.1 Using the new - New Closed Captioning Feature in a broadcast environment. 16 May 2018 04:33 #95500

• ryan.smith
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi All,

Long time lurker first time poster. I was wondering if anyone out there has used the new captioning in FCPX in a broadcast environment. We currently outsource our captioning and I would like to bring it in house if possible.

I tried captioning a small clip but couldn't get the captions to appear once they were ingested on our system (Imagine). They would appear on my Mac in Quicktime but once I imported them they were gone.

I tried exporting them as MXF files with the captions embedded. They were created in CEA-608 format. I also tried exporting them as an MOV and XCAM format but couldn't get them to appear.

Anyone have any luck with this?

TIA

Ryan
The administrator has disabled public write access.

FCP 10.4.1 Using the new - New Closed Captioning Feature in a broadcast environment. 16 May 2018 20:13 #95514

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 287
Unfortunately, 608 captioning is FCPX is useless for many of us broadcasters, because FCPX still won't embed them into an MXF file, and yet everyone else in the world is doing it. This captioning thing was exciting, but the limitations are mind boggling.

We send low rez files out to Rev.com and get back our .scc file. Import that into FCPX and we have closed captioning, YAY! But then we have to deliver to a distributor as MXF, and we're blown out the water with no FCPX solution.

ugh...

Yeah, not all apps will show closed captioning very well. QT Player sucks at it. VLC does it just fine. There's some bugs and hiccups in this new captioning system that I hope some imagined soon to be released update will correct.

Closed Captioning and no MXF captain support? Who decided that made a lick of sense?

FCP 10.4.1 Using the new - New Closed Captioning Feature in a broadcast environment. 17 May 2018 03:02 #95518

• ryan.smith
  • Fresh Boarder
Just curious why do you outsource your SCC file? They seem to be pretty easy to generate in FCPX on their own. This is how I figured out how to get our system (imagine) to take the captions. I exported the AV and captions separately and then used the telestream to embed the captions.

Your right though I had no luck exporting MXF files with embedded captions. Simply wouldn't show up.

FCP 10.4.1 Using the new - New Closed Captioning Feature in a broadcast environment. 17 May 2018 11:31 #95530

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 287
So I have a timeline with all my edits. Tell me how FCPX magically transcribes all of that into a .scc file? No, FCPX does not to transcribing by itself, thus we use Rev.com. Accuracy, fast turn-around, very affordable.
Last Edit: 17 May 2018 11:32 by FCPX.guru.

FCP 10.4.1 Using the new - New Closed Captioning Feature in a broadcast environment. 17 May 2018 17:09 #95540

• ryan.smith
  • Fresh Boarder
You're right it doesn't transcribe automatically. You would need to do that then export the scc file.