Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: uploading large projects: resources

uploading large projects: resources 16 May 2018 11:51 #95506

• tpf1952
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Tried to ship a hard drive with 750 GB of FCPX and Motion projects from the U.S. to Slovak Republic, but Fed Ex says my recipient needs an "import license" to accept "electronic" materials. Does anyone know of a commercial service that has the bandwidth to send this much data? Where I live, fiber is not yet available, and my upload speeds are a few digits short.

My plan would be to ship the drive to a service provider who has this capability and have them perform the upload.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom
The administrator has disabled public write access.

uploading large projects: resources 17 May 2018 01:46 #95517

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 207
tpf1952 wrote:
Tried to ship a hard drive with 750 GB of FCPX and Motion projects from the U.S. to Slovak Republic, but Fed Ex says my recipient needs an "import license"...

I don't know the answer about uploading 750GB, but could you put it on a 1TB thumb drive and just mail it in a postal envelope?: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820236344

Admittedly that is $484, but If you could reduce it to 512GB there are USB thumb drives for $139: a.co/21Vi021

A 1TB NVME stick is $299: a.co/96xAzHl

uploading large projects: resources 17 May 2018 05:12 #95521

joema wrote:
… USB thumb drives … postal…

hint from the hobbyist corner: for sending larger files in a 'neutral' letter envelope, SDcards are handy, 'cause flat. Mount, format and use as any drive… And no need for the big=expensive one, tools like Split-and-Concat allow easily to 'span' larger files onto several media....

yep, tinkering … but works. ;)

uploading large projects: resources 17 May 2018 18:15 #95541

• tpf1952
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Thank you both for your replies. The SD card approach sounds intriguing. This is one of those projects where I underestimated my costs, so I am loathe to spend another nickel -- but I'll have to. The FedEx people say that if the customs people don't like what they see, it's likely the materials -- at least a hard drive -- would sooner be destroyed than rejected or returned.

Kind regards,

Tom

uploading large projects: resources 18 May 2018 04:16 #95542

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 269
Yes, very good chance you won't get it back. It violates the law, the standard procedure is to destroy it. Tell the client to remain legal, they have to get the license, it's not on you. Give them the option of you mailing it anyway, but if Customs destroys it, they still owe you for the work.

uploading large projects: resources 18 May 2018 05:24 #95545

tpf1952 wrote:
.… The SD card approach sounds intriguing.…

… a 'familiar' tech for hobbyists to share files beyond fitting thru the wire. Keep in mind: it's not just you UPloading all that *** - your collogue has to DOWNload 3/4 of a TB …

Any postal transportation:
technically, you try to import goods into EU (Slovakia is in the East, but not that Far East ;) ). Beyond 22€ worth (I haven't made the rules!!) the receiver has to pay +19% sales tax, goods beyond 150€ demand additionally 'customs', depending on what, add 4-20%…

best-practice is, to attach outside the package a customs declaration, what's inside, mentioning its price - don't joke with that: custom will x-ray it and is allowed to open the package … and the officers know how to handle amazon/ebay…

Any imports from 3rd world non-EU countries go thru customs; the receiver gets a note, to drop by at 'local' custom station, in person, within 60d… to pay taxes.-

… but shouldn't be no rocket-science for FedEx … get all my 'China stuff' that way … maybe your local FedEx agent isn't used to the world 'outside' LOL.
Speaking of China: some try to outsmart custom , declaring goods as 'private gift', "20$" etc = no good plan!
Finally, fortress Europe: be sure, electric device has a 'GE' approval (all common brands have) on it or wrapper- otherwise, it goes straight into the trashbin AND you/receiver has to pay taxes

… probably the SDcard-tech flies under the radar (letters are less suspicious than packages)… add a friendly line "here are our photos, my friend".…

… don't send all 25 SDcards as a package - could be misunderstood as 'commercial' import.

<sigh> We write 2018, hm? Global economy, hm? just 750gigs, hm? video, hm? <sigh> ...
Last Edit: 18 May 2018 05:28 by Karsten Schlüter.