Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Trying to open Projects and Events from 10.1 and everything has vanished...

Trying to open Projects and Events from 10.1 and everything has vanished... 17 May 2018 00:13 #95516

• todd.moen
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Team, I have a drive that I'm trying to open a handful of old projects from ( I think from FCP 10.0.9 & 10.1 currently using 10.4.2 and alas have downloaded a trial version of 10.2.3). The drive shows one library icon that says G-Raid Projects and Events. I click that and in FCP get a few events showing but no timelines and most of my other projects are missing. If I right click that library folder and dig a bit deeper showing packaged contents I see those events in separate folders and also see and Updated Projects folder with a ton of project/events folders that aren't showing up. This is really making me nervous. Along side the all the folders in the updated projects folder there is one file that says CurrentVersion.fcpevent this just opens a text document if I click that.
I could really use some help here if anyone has a way to fix all this. I'm done a ton of research already and juts can figure it out. Thanks very much for your time!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Trying to open Projects and Events from 10.1 and everything has vanished... 17 May 2018 16:19 #95537

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 181
Hi Todd, welcome to the forums.
Well you are asking for my old brain to remember back to 2014 or so to the launching of FCPX10.1, top of head help may not be accurate, You've been warned, but hopefully some others will chime in.

There have been a couple of big changes to FCPX library and media management structure and one of them was with 10.1. When you converted libraries, events and projects from previous versions, 10.1 dumps them all into a single library due to Library file structure changes in FCPX. One aspect was that projects were now contained inside Events and had no separate project library. Events are contained in Libraries. Converting to FCPX 10.1 and beyond simply created a single New Library and dumps everything in. So that is what you are seeing.
One Library, Events and your projects should be within the Event(s) folders. Since the old FCPX did not necessarily provide all the needed connections/associations between old Libraries/Events/Projects, 10.1 does the best it could and created a single universal Library. They should all be there however.
A way around this issue was to use Event ManagerX There was a lot of discussion here on fcp.co see this article… www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/tutorials/1304-...raries-the-smart-way and other sites including Arctic Whiteness's for Final Cut Library Manager, Larry Jordan, MacBreak Studio, and lots of other websites so do a search on updating to 10.1 and see if they help.

There has been a least one other time(10.3??) that file structural changes makes converting old projects somewhat problematic, but it looks like you are facing the 10.1 transition.

Hope this Helps, Greg

Trying to open Projects and Events from 10.1 and everything has vanished... 17 May 2018 16:27 #95538

• todd.moen
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Greg, Really appreciate it. Yes, I agree, trying to remember back them with all that's happened since is a bit fuzzy.
So what I do have is a back up drive that I just opened up and it looks like the files are untouched from back then meaning a newer version of FCP hasn't tried to update the files at all. So do you recommend I open them with the FCP trial of 10.2.3 and see what happens?
Appreciate the help.

Trying to open Projects and Events from 10.1 and everything has vanished... 18 May 2018 04:23 #95544

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 303
I think the last version to update work from pre-Library FCPX was 10.3.

Trying to open Projects and Events from 10.1 and everything has vanished... 18 May 2018 15:33 #95557

• todd.moen
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Greg,
Over the past few days I was able to get the projects back and into the old timelines. Whew. But it's not perfect. All my compound clips are gray colored and I can't double click them to get into them to edit the audio track (music tracks) The only compound clips I used in the certain project was for cutting music tracks and they are not working at the moment. No sound is coming from each compound clip and I can't edit or open them up. Need some advise on this one if possible. Thanks!
Also, I don't see any of the compound clips in the events folders...

Trying to open Projects and Events from 10.1 and everything has vanished... 18 May 2018 15:50 #95558

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 181
Hi Todd
Your welcome, glad to help if I can.
I guess that I would tell you to first make back-ups before doing anything. I try to keep at least 2 or three or four at all times. So don't risk your last BU.
Next I would check the files you already converted. It really is not that hard to create new Libraries, Events and move projects into them if all your projects are in the converted folder for organizational purposes.
If you find that some projects are missing / corrupted or you just want to transfer your projects and maintain the organization you have in older FCPX, then I would still recommend you download Event Manager X and follow the tutorial I linked to above. This is how I moved my older projects. (If it isn't still available, shoot an email @ Philipp and Greg, good folks so I think they would help)
An additional benefit of using EMX is that when you 'Hide" your projects and only move one at a time, you save RAM and speed during the transfer. FCPX will load all open Libraries in RAM and the conversion process is RAM intensive, so hiding the Libraries will help. Having the extra RAM may also prevent data corruption.

Ben, think 10.2.3 was necessary as that is the version Apple still provides. Believe 10.3 won't work (additional code changes if I remember right)?? Wondering if 10.4.2 will open 10.2.3 version?? Anyone tried? Guess our OP will find out.

Hope this Helps, Greg