Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: URGENT: cannot duplicate project (operation not permitted)

URGENT: cannot duplicate project (operation not permitted) 04 Jun 2018 13:08 #95813

• manoucho
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 46
Hi guys

I`m at a postproduction house, editing a commercial. They have FCPX 10.4

When I try to duplicate a project or take a snapshot, I get an error: Operation not permitted.

Do you have any idea what the reason can be ?

Thank you !
Last Edit: 04 Jun 2018 13:09 by manoucho.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

URGENT: cannot duplicate project (operation not permitted) 05 Jun 2018 08:21 #95824

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 880
- Are your media or project files stored on an ISIS server?
- Can you export the project?

Ronny

URGENT: cannot duplicate project (operation not permitted) 05 Jun 2018 08:38 #95825

• manoucho
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey Ronny, thank God you're here :)

- Yes the files are on an ISIS server
- I can export the project yes

URGENT: cannot duplicate project (operation not permitted) 05 Jun 2018 08:46 #95826

• ronny courtens
Move your project off the ISIS, and you will be able to work without any issues. This is a known issue with ISIS storage.
If the media are external and it's difficult to move everything to the workstation, just moving the Library locally should do the trick. You may have to relink first.

- Ronny
Last Edit: 05 Jun 2018 08:46 by ronny courtens.

URGENT: cannot duplicate project (operation not permitted) 05 Jun 2018 09:00 #95827

• manoucho
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Ronny

The media are external indeed, I think I need to stay on the server. I could try to move the library locally.

Will I be able to have a working round-trip with Resolve ? The grading suite is in another room. The agency comes tomorrow with the client and since I'm the one who pushed them to FCPX, everything needs to work.

I've had issues with XML imports from PluralEyes, they never worked (errors or DTP validation issue), is it the same problem ?

Thanks a lot !!

URGENT: cannot duplicate project (operation not permitted) 05 Jun 2018 09:30 #95828

• ronny courtens
There can be many issues with this workflow, that's why I asked straight away if you were working on an ISIS. Working with FCP X (or with Premiere) on an ISIS is like riding the Tour de France with your grandmother's bike: it works, but it can be painful (-:

If this were me, I would move everything off the ISIS and keep the media and Library on a fast direct attached external drive. Take that same drive to the Resolve suite, and you should have a perfect round-trip. Avoid ISIS, unless you are only using Avid Media Composer.

- Ronny

URGENT: cannot duplicate project (operation not permitted) 05 Jun 2018 09:38 #95829

• manoucho
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you so mch Ronny. Unvaluable help, as always.

URGENT: cannot duplicate project (operation not permitted) 05 Jun 2018 10:12 #95830

• manoucho
  • Platinum Boarder
Haha the house manager was not happy (as he already had a strong biaised against FCPX)

URGENT: cannot duplicate project (operation not permitted) 05 Jun 2018 10:16 #95831

• ronny courtens
And now he will blame FCP X while it's actually his storage that does not work properly. As usual (-:

- Ronny

URGENT: cannot duplicate project (operation not permitted) 05 Jun 2018 11:28 #95837

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 254
Bear in mind you'll have the same issues with PPro. So let your manager know he's got to blame both apps.

URGENT: cannot duplicate project (operation not permitted) 05 Jun 2018 12:05 #95838

• manoucho
  • Platinum Boarder
Ben let me assure you I insisted on that ;)

URGENT: cannot duplicate project (operation not permitted) 05 Jun 2018 23:16 #95850

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 254
Yeah, some station managers are way to full of ego like that. I'm very fortunate to have a Final Cut enthusiast station manager.

URGENT: cannot duplicate project (operation not permitted) 07 Jun 2018 17:05 #95896

• manoucho
  • Platinum Boarder
Ronny, trying to move all the work to an external hardddrive, but:

- Consolidation simply won't work
- Using external files won't relink properly (synced files lose audio)

The files are on the RAID ISIS so no way to just plug it out and plug in directly on the Mac Pro... I'm totally stuck.
Last Edit: 07 Jun 2018 17:08 by manoucho.

URGENT: cannot duplicate project (operation not permitted) 07 Jun 2018 17:50 #95897

• ronny courtens
Once the problems start with Avid stuff, you never know when they will end. And no, there are no magical solutions here. If you cannot consolidate your media inside the Library or onto an external drive, there is not much else you can do.

Asides from not being able to duplicate projects, are there other important things that you cannot do with FCP X on this ISIS? If not, I would just leave everything on it and finish the job. And never use an ISIS with FCP X again.

- Ronny

URGENT: cannot duplicate project (operation not permitted) 07 Jun 2018 18:06 #95898

• haysoos123
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 68
But can't you manually copy the files off the ISIS if you hook up a drive to your machine (that has access to the ISIS)? Then copy your library off, copy all your files to an external RAID, and then relink your clips to the files on the external RAID? Or is there some technical problem with the way those files relink?

URGENT: cannot duplicate project (operation not permitted) 07 Jun 2018 18:10 #95899

• ronny courtens
Glad that you are trying to help, Jesús!

I think Manu said that just copying the media over to the external RAID causes synced clips to lose their audio when relinking. Which seems strange to me.

- Ronny

URGENT: cannot duplicate project (operation not permitted) 08 Jun 2018 19:42 #95911

• haysoos123
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 68
hi guys,
I could be wrong, but I thought ISIS had official support for FCPX? At the very least, just running it with the library local, and the media external in a folder structure on the ISIS would work. I would also keep the cache local to avoid problems.

For Manu,
The other thing that's puzzling is, you did say that the media was already external in your third post, no? Then you'd already be able to move the library off the ISIS anyway, and not even have to relink or do any consolidation... the media would be staying put and the links would be the same. I guess I'm a little unclear as to how it's set up. Also, if the only problem is you can't dupe sequences, then can't you just make new sequences and just copy and paste into them? At least until the project is finished.