Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 360 monitoring - Oculus Go headset

360 monitoring - Oculus Go headset 13 Jun 2018 18:30 #95934

• vfxwolf
  • Junior Boarder
Good folks,

We're looking at monitoring options for editing in 360. I believe this is possible with Oculus or Vive headsets within FCPX, but I was wondering if anyone had tried using the new Oculus Go headset. Its lower cost than the other options and provides a wireless solution, I'm just not sure FCPX can output to it as there is no wired connection.

Can anyone throw any light on this? Omnidirectional is fine ;)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

360 monitoring - Oculus Go headset 14 Jun 2018 07:25 #95939

• nils.dettmann
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
I have been researching this for a Samsung Gear VR which should be technically the same process.
I don´t think there is a solution for FCPX or macOS in general.
On Windows it is possible though not too comfortable with "Vridge" (of course not with FCPX)

Technically it shouldn´t be too difficult to stream FCPX´s A/V-Out to an external device e.g. via DLNA

360 monitoring - Oculus Go headset 14 Jun 2018 23:56 #95951

• haysoos123
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 68
There is currently only support for the HTC Vive. Even if you could get the signal, like some kind of 4k signal out of FCPX to show up on a wireless headset, you wouldn't be able to get the tracking information. That would defeat the purpose of using the headset to preview (being able to look around 360 degrees).

On macOS, you need to install Steam, and then install SteamVR. You don't have to run Steam before running FCPX. When you turn on "Output to VR Headset" in FCPX, it will automatically load up SteamVR, and you should get an output in your headset.

360 monitoring - Oculus Go headset 15 Jun 2018 06:22 #95952

• nils.dettmann
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
@hayoos123
Agreeing to everything except the part with the tracking information.
If I could stream the latlong/equirectangular video to an external device the "tracking" information is already embedded in the geometry of the video.
The Dashwood plugin has been doing exactly this, functioning as an A/V-Out.

360 monitoring - Oculus Go headset 15 Jun 2018 18:13 #95961

• haysoos123
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 68
Yes, after thinking about it a bit more, I think you're right. It wouldn't be too different than streaming a 360 video. Now whether you'd get decent performance or exactly how to get that connection working, I have no idea.

You can play full rez, no framerate drops of 4096x2048, left and right eye squashed over/under in the timeline on a Mac Pro with D700. But if you go to 4096x4096, you'll get framerate drops, and this is on a wired headset. An iMac Pro would do better, but again that would be through a wired connection. I find that even with previews, you want the most resolution as possible, because even at 4k x 4k, video isn't that sharp because you're only seeing a small portion of the frame.