Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How to make a proxy library To-Go?

How to make a proxy library To-Go? 14 Jun 2018 05:02 #95938

• bradywurtz
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
So i typically edit on a larger hard drive on my iMac. But i'd like to be able to take it on the go on my old MacBook pro with just a USB 3.0 external plugin drive. Taking my huge hard drive would just scare me, i'd rather leave it at home.

But i'd like to be able to make a duplicate of the Library that ONLY contains the proxy files. How would I do this? Would I just copy the Library to another hard drive, and then go into it and open the Library Bundle file and just delete the original files, leaving only the proxy files?

This is the best solution I can think of. And then when I get home, I just replace the CurrentVersion.fcpevent file inside the correct Event.

The only issue with this method is that when i do go to copy it to my small external drive, i have to transfer the whole library, including the original and optimized media and proxy files. and THEN i delete the original or optimized files. This could take a while. I wish there was a way to copy the whole library bundle file sans the original and optimized files.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to make a proxy library To-Go? 14 Jun 2018 10:12 #95940

• rjvddoes
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 98
Hi,

There is an excellent MacBreak Studio episode on this topic:

Cheers,
Robbert-Jan

How to make a proxy library To-Go? 14 Jun 2018 16:10 #95941

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 211
rjvddoes wrote:
...There is an excellent MacBreak Studio episode on this topic...

In addition to that MacBreak Studio #265, anyone doing this should also watch MacBreak Studio #281 "Moving Proxy Media" (link below).

They should also realize several additional items:

(1) These two tutorials do not cover all cases such as how graphics and audio files are handled in a proxy-only case. That is covered in Ripple Training's FCPX 10.4 Media Management class: www.rippletraining.com/products/final-cu...-final-cut-pro-10-4/

(2) The overall proxy-only workflow can be quite tricky. Steve Martin described it as requiring "pretzel logic" to understand. FCPX obviously needs enhancement in this area.

(3) When proxies are created, the original volume name is encoded into the library. This cannot be changed by any method I know. This isn't a problem if proxies are kept inside the library, but if they are created outside the library then copied to a portable drive, they won't work. E.g, you create the proxies on a fast iMac Pro connected to a Pegasus RAID, then copy them to a laptop. Why would you create proxies outside the library? To maintain a "lean library" for portability. The easiest solution is either (a) create the proxies on the portable drive to be used on the laptop, or (b) rename the portable drive the same name as the original RAID volume where they were created.

(4) Relink is unreliable for external proxies. In the above case you cannot reliably fix the incorrect volume name by relinking. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

(5) There is no supported way in FCPX to copy existing proxies out of the library, but this has been done experimentally: www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/tutorials/1828-...ant-by-using-aliases

MacBreak Studio #281 "Moving Proxy Media":

How to make a proxy library To-Go? 14 Jun 2018 19:02 #95942

• bradywurtz
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Ok, so using all those notes and watching both those videos, i've determined I really need to just know ahead of time before i create a library, to know if i want to go external with this at any point.

wish there was a way to copy a library to an external drive, and have the option to carry over original, optimized, or proxy. i feel like apple needs to make this easier.

Luckily for me, i was done using optimized files in my edit, and didn't need them anymore. So i created proxy files, and then copied the library to an external. it took a little bit because i had to transfer the whole library with all original content and proxy, when all i needed was proxy.

so i have a copy of the library on my external, and i went on the go with it. made some edits, and called it a day. I then closed the library, and went to the file and opened the library bundle file. i navigated to my event, and then to my project folder, and inside the project folder, i copied the CurrentVersion.fcpevent file. I pasted it back in the same spot and deleted the old one back on my main computer at home, and then opened up the library, and it worked flawlessly.

luckily, both computers are running the same macOS, and the same FCPX version. i feel like i'd never do this unless both computers were matching up like that. still, not the safest way to do things, but i did backups of all this before i tried it.

still, apple really needs to figure out a way of making this easier.

How to make a proxy library To-Go? 14 Jun 2018 19:02 #95943

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
So in my simple way of thinking: I have a Main folderon my main computer that is the title of whatever I'm working on. In that folder is the FCP Library, along with other folders like Photos, Graphics, Music, and a folder that has my original video media (external)

So if I go into the FCP library, and go to Create Proxy media, that will create the proxy in the FCP bundle. I can then chose to work in Proxy mode.

So let's say like the OP mentions, you want to use a laptop or some other machine to edit, what I THINK I should do is copy everything in that main folder to where ver I want to bring, with the exception of the original video media.

Edit on new machine, and then copy back to the all this back (round trip) to the first machine. Is this correct? Or could I just copy only the Library itself to thje first machine, select Original Media, and all edits made prior magically link up.

And is this correct?

Great thread!

Thanks.

JL
Last Edit: 14 Jun 2018 19:04 by Jonathan Levin.

How to make a proxy library To-Go? 14 Jun 2018 19:42 #95944

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Jonathan Levin wrote:
...Main folderon my main computer that is the title of whatever I'm working on. In that folder is the FCP Library, along with other folders like Photos, Graphics, Music, and a folder that has my original video media (external)

So if I go into the FCP library, and go to Create Proxy media, that will create the proxy in the FCP bundle. I can then chose to work in Proxy mode.

So let's say...you want to use a laptop...what I THINK I should do is copy everything in that main folder to where ver I want to bring, with the exception of the original video media.

Yes that is correct.

Jonathan Levin wrote:
...Edit on new machine, and then copy back to the all this back (round trip) to the first machine. Is this correct? Or could I just copy only the Library itself to thje first machine, select Original Media, and all edits made prior magically link up....

Since there's no such thing as proxies for audio or graphics, you must copy the folder with those non-video items to the laptop, along with the library containing the proxies. After you are finished editing on the laptop, you need not copy the audio and graphic files back.

Although you could copy the entire library back, this is not necessary. As shown in the MacBreak Studio #265, in Finder you can rename the library on the laptop's portable drive, plug that into the desktop machine and open that library in FCPX on the desktop machine along with the original library, then rename the laptop project and copy just the project (within FCPX) to the desktop machine's original library. That will sync up with the original media, and avoids copying lots of proxy files.

How to make a proxy library To-Go? 14 Jun 2018 20:31 #95946

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Joema,

Thank you. And to the original poster, I hope I'm not hijacking your thread here.

So I follow the whole renaming in the Finder, opening that and the original Library, and then copy the Project from the renamed project back to the Main computer. Where this might get a bit confusing is if you are working on multiple Projects off site, thus my thinking to just do what I mentioned in the previous post, knowing that it might take a while to copy all those Proxies.

Since there's no such thing as proxies for audio or graphics, you must copy the folder with those non-video items to the laptop, along with the library containing the proxies. After you are finished editing on the laptop, you need not copy the audio and graphic files back.

So if files are left un-altered, no need to copy those back. Excellent! Off to try some tests, even though I don't see myself taking any editing on the road soon, but always a good idea to learn this.

How to make a proxy library To-Go? 14 Jun 2018 21:59 #95947

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Jonathan Levin wrote:
...So if files are left un-altered, no need to copy those back. Excellent! Off to try some tests, even though I don't see myself taking any editing on the road soon, but always a good idea to learn this.

FCPX never alters or writes to original media files, whether video, graphics or audio files. The editing process writes to many files: the library, cache, waveform, thumbnail and plist and .nib files, etc, but not original media files. I've never checked but it's unlikely the media files are opened with the "write" attribute, so writing to them is not even possible. It is similar to how Lightroom never writes to original camera files.

How to make a proxy library To-Go? 15 Jun 2018 08:34 #95953

• MsJustine
  • Platinum Boarder
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
  • Thank you received: 46
I was working on a solution to this very question, and over the past couple of days a number of issues have arisen in my understanding of workflows, or maybe it is not me, but an error in the code..Let me explain.

My original answer was to modify the Felipe Baez method, import media leave in place, then change the storage location to something new, create proxy, switch to proxy view, eject the external HD, edit...

NOTE: This method works as long as the fcpbundle of the project is on the hard drive of the editing computer, and NOT on the external hard drive, I tested both and it works.

Then whilst confirming this workflow, along with the 2nd part of the Felipe Baez method, taking the proxy, running it through compressor and automator, the only reason for automator is a batch name change, makes things easier in the compressor stage, you name the new proxy something like filenameNEWPROXY.mov, then using automator, you change the filenameNEWPEOXY .mov back to flilename.mov.

It works and FCPX is non the wiser and you have a tiny proxy file from something like 3GB to 5MB...even a tiny Apple IIe would not choke on...

Here is the issue, the "bug" error...when in proxy view mode, after setting the storage location to something on the internal SSD, you right click on the proxy file thumbnail in FCPX and select REVEAL IN FINDER...it takes you to the original full rez location and not the proxy location...

You could of course open the fcpbundle, and locate the media there, or in the media you selected in FCPX change storage location...Convert and replace the orginal proxy media with the tiny compressor version, which you can add timecodes, watermarks etc...

My question is why does FCPX use the ORIGINAL MEDIA location for PROXY???

If you use the Felipe Baez method, run the proxy through compressor, so a 3GB file comes in from the proxy at say 300MB, then you run this through compressor, it weighs in at 10MB, you have more than enough "headroom" for graphics and audio...after all is audio as big as video? If it is, maybe convert to mp3 or something...

This method can be very effective, it takes a few steps and if you are very skilled as Felipe is, you can do it in 3 simple steps, I am not as skilled yet, so it is open a few finder windows, drag and drop, I have created an on desk app for automator [rename back to original name] and a compressor droplet to do the compressor task, then just deleting the media from the proxy folder and replacing the old with the tiny watermarked file...It works, and you can eject the external HD and work on the road.

Not elegant, and something I pray, mothership includes, even posted a feedback to IO, and the other player, and to Denver Riddle...This is something we all need...a simple file convertor, file compressor, a better proxy in FCPX truth be told..100% to what 25% is not good enough in 2018..From 100% to >10% is better....
Last Edit: 15 Jun 2018 09:00 by MsJustine.