Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lens Flare title in FCP X- how to move type AND flare effect.

Lens Flare title in FCP X- how to move type AND flare effect. 05 Jul 2018 20:34 #96232

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Hi all.

I am trying to use the Lens Flare title in FCP X. The default position for the text is center.

m1.jpeg

I want to move that toward the lower left of the frame, but I would also like the flare effect to move with it. It seems that I can only move the text.

m2.jpeg

Any ideas?

Thanks.

JL
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Lens Flare title in FCP X- how to move type AND flare effect. 05 Jul 2018 21:02 #96233

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 195
Jonathan,
I have this same default behavior, text moves either with inspector position or by dragging - but flare stays centered. You can either go into Motion and adjust this, or make the title a compound clip. As a CC you will be able to use the transform tools in the inspector to move the title along with the flare.
- Dan
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Lens Flare title in FCP X- how to move type AND flare effect. 05 Jul 2018 22:26 #96235

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
Dan,

Thanks for your help. I’ll try the CC route first. I’ll have to see if any other preset titles exhibits this behavior. I don’t know if this is something new or if it was like this in previous versions of X.

Cheers!

Lens Flare title in FCP X- how to move type AND flare effect. 06 Jul 2018 01:04 #96236

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 269
Has always been that way. Text box is a separate entity from the flare. Open a copy in Motion, link them into a group, published position parameters for the group.

Or just the position OSC tool.
Attachments:

Lens Flare title in FCP X- how to move type AND flare effect. 06 Jul 2018 01:35 #96238

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks FPX.guru.

What is OSC tool?

If I do this in motion, would I select title, then use a “send to motion”, edit in motion and then send back to Fcp? I wouldn’t want to overwrite the original fcp version, maybe just save as my own preset.

Lens Flare title in FCP X- how to move type AND flare effect. 06 Jul 2018 01:48 #96239

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
OSC is the On Screen Control and there is a checkbox to publish it in Motion in the inspector. In the FCPX title browser, find the original title and control click and select "Open a copy in Motion".

Lens Flare title in FCP X- how to move type AND flare effect. 06 Jul 2018 16:48 #96243

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Dan. I'm going to play with this right now

Lens Flare title in FCP X- how to move type AND flare effect. 06 Jul 2018 17:16 #96244

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
Well the CC method worked great! I need to make 11 of these "name" title things. So what I did was make a duplicate c;lip of the original "masako" clip. Then in the dupe I changed the name, "kimberlee". So I'll have 11 compound clips.

I tried to just copy and paste the compound clip to project, change name, color etc., but it also chnged the original, thus the dupelicate method.

t1.jpeg

t2_2018-07-06.jpeg

I did open the Lens-flare title in Motion, but way over my head, though I know very simple things in Motion. I suppose I should know how to do this.

Thanks for your invaluable help again!

Jonathan
Last Edit: 06 Jul 2018 17:26 by Jonathan Levin.

Lens Flare title in FCP X- how to move type AND flare effect. 06 Jul 2018 19:07 #96246

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
Jonathan,
When you wish to duplicate the CC, select under the Clip menu in FCPX and choose "Reference new Parent Clip". This will allow the duplicate to be unique and any changes will not affect the original CC. Do this for each version you need to make.

Lens Flare title in FCP X- how to move type AND flare effect. 06 Jul 2018 20:18 #96247

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
Nice shortcut Dan!!!!

Lens Flare title in FCP X- how to move type AND flare effect. 06 Jul 2018 22:26 #96248

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
dgwvideo wrote:
OSC is the On Screen Control and there is a checkbox to publish it in Motion in the inspector. In the FCPX title browser, find the original title and control click and select "Open a copy in Motion".

No, look at the image, I'm using the OSC built-in to FCPX. Click that button in the bottom left of the Viewer pane, and just move the whole thing. No CC needed.

Lens Flare title in FCP X- how to move type AND flare effect. 06 Jul 2018 22:57 #96249

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
Ok. The OSC that selects Transform, Crop, Distort (not at computer) in FCP X.

When I clicked on that (Transform) and click and drag, just the text moves, the flare effect stays centered. Because I’m old and horrible I am sure I am missing something. Dgwvideos method worked fine, but the ability to move text/effect together in the viewer would be awesome. May seem hokeybut I love this effect especially for the project I’m involved with and will probably kill me :blink:

Lens Flare title in FCP X- how to move type AND flare effect. 07 Jul 2018 04:20 #96251

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
When I'm using it, the whole thing drags. Don't click the text, click anywhere else. Works great for me.

Lens Flare title in FCP X- how to move type AND flare effect. 07 Jul 2018 05:41 #96256

• Karsten Schlüter
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 614
FCPX.guru wrote:
… I'm using the OSC built-in to FCPX. Click that button in the bottom left of the Viewer pane, and just move the whole thing. No CC needed.

hmm, but then, the LF-title behaves like an adjustment layer and, although just the title is selected, the whole clip moves. At last here …

… but, we know the naughty one:

lftitle.jpg

open a copy of that title in Motion, delete the Source Group - and you can use the OSC for positioning the flare and the Transform tool to move the title … with sticky LF… and no CCs, parented or not.-
Last Edit: 07 Jul 2018 05:42 by Karsten Schlüter.

Lens Flare title in FCP X- how to move type AND flare effect. 07 Jul 2018 12:12 #96259

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
Good catch! And still easier than using CCs all over the place.

Lens Flare title in FCP X- how to move type AND flare effect. 07 Jul 2018 14:08 #96261

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Karsten.

So after deleting that group, how do you save back to fcpx with a new name so it shows in title browser? I’m going to try this today.

JL

Lens Flare title in FCP X- how to move type AND flare effect. 07 Jul 2018 15:31 #96262

• Karsten Schlüter
  • NOW ONLINE
Jonathan Levin wrote:
… how do you save back to fcpx with a new name so it shows in title browser? …

… when you follow the usual routine (right-click in title-browser, 'open copy in Motion'), it HAS already a new name (lens flare copy) and is in the correct location. When you hit Save in Motion, you're free to give a new, completely different name...

… just obey do as intended … ;)

Lens Flare title in FCP X- how to move type AND flare effect. 07 Jul 2018 15:50 #96263

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you my friend! Obeying is my specialty. Remembering....not so much.

Good info on multiple ways to handle this.

Lens Flare title in FCP X- how to move type AND flare effect. 07 Jul 2018 16:04 #96265

• Karsten Schlüter
  • NOW ONLINE
Jonathan Levin wrote:

Good info on multiple ways to handle this.

Advantage to that method: acts, when done, like any title, without any compounding, parenting, wotever...
Disadvantage : you have to customize in Motion - not everybody's task…

so, indeed, both methods are legit …

yep, that 'remembering' things gets more difficult every year… what was the question…?
;)

Lens Flare title in FCP X- how to move type AND flare effect. 07 Jul 2018 18:56 #96266

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Karsten!

So one last question then:

If I come up with another situation like this with another preset tile I like and I want to move it's position, do you just open that title in Motion, delete the Source group, and re-save? I don't know how many of FCP X titles behave, so this would be interesting to know.

I wonder why they have a "Source" group, or what it does. My knowledge of Motion is limited for now.

JL
  • Page: