Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: FCPX not letting me skim through my imported clips while audio from timeline is playing

FCPX not letting me skim through my imported clips while audio from timeline is playing 06 Jul 2018 01:06 #96237

So this maybe a rookie mistake but its driving me nuts. FCPX isn't letting me skim through the clips that have been imported while audio from the timeline is playing. I'll hit space to play the audio and at the same time skim through the clips to see what goes with the music but its just a black screen. I have to stop the music first then it'll let me skim through all the clips. Any help on this annoying issue would be awesome. Thanks in advance
The administrator has disabled public write access.

FCPX not letting me skim through my imported clips while audio from timeline is playing 06 Jul 2018 07:29 #96240

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 53
You can't play back simultaneously in Browser and Timeline. Interesting request. Just copy the clips to the timeline. You need one key to do that and one key and a modifyer to undo it.

FCPX not letting me skim through my imported clips while audio from timeline is playing 07 Jul 2018 05:15 #96253

• Karsten Schlüter
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 621
Axel wrote:
… Interesting request. …

Interesting request, indeed.-

When I do edit-on-music, I do the usual 'dancing finger on M'-routine, to hammer the cue points into the timeline… but never came up with the idea to favorite content WHILE playing the music …
Could be helpful for 'invisible', whip-pan transitions either … for example.-

hm, time for an Enhancement request?

feedback.jpg

FCPX not letting me skim through my imported clips while audio from timeline is playing 07 Jul 2018 11:39 #96257

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 53
Some thoughts on music and video, music in video and video with music, not meant as a lecture, just thoughts to be discussed.

When people want to "edit to the beat" they should better mean "edit to the rhythm", and that means OFF the beat, and Karstens marker-method is perfect for that. In this presentation Rory Cantwell shows another method (skip to 13'20"):
vimeo.com/158339806

Everybody is inspired by music, it has a big emotional impact. Seemingly it also helps to find an editing pace. If you are not specifically cutting a music video, I think this is tempting, but dangerous. A sequence of images should have it's own pace, it should work without the music.

jeremiah.smith wrote:
FCPX isn't letting me skim through the clips that have been imported while audio from the timeline is playing. I'll hit space to play the audio and at the same time skim through the clips to see what goes with the music but its just a black screen.

You can use music to get you in the right mood. You can listen to a piece played in iTunes in the background or on a second device. This will color your edit decisions while keeping them independent. You don't want your video to be a slave of someone else's creation. After you finished the rough cut, with no music included, call it a day. Next day, forbid yourself to ever listen to that music piece again and review your timeline.

If you find that music would really help your film, find a music from premiumbeats or the like, that, though it's similar in mood, is less haunting, sounds somewhat "cheaper" , thinned-out and interchangeable. A music that doesn't let you question the cuts you already made. You can also cut the music then.
Last Edit: 07 Jul 2018 11:44 by Axel.

FCPX not letting me skim through my imported clips while audio from timeline is playing 07 Jul 2018 12:18 #96260

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 299
I came to video from music, I'm a composer, my first few film jobs were doing the music tracks and mixing the sound, not editing. I really do not like hearing folks say edit to the beat or edit off beat, to the back beat, etc. And sometimes the rhythm is the beat, sometimes it's not. When you edit to music, everything depends on the musical piece, its style, its structure, its story. Not all parts of a song will have the same pace or structure. Don't get locked into mechanical rules that defy how music works in the first place. I'm saying this as a life long professional composer.

The only rule of thumb that anyone should preach about editing music videos is, EDIT TO THE STORY THE PIECE TELLS! Every musical piece tells a story, we filmmakers/editors are storytellers, tell the freakin' story, forget everything else.

And if you know a composer/songwriter, consider giving them a shot, and if it works out, your money goes to the author of the music, not the owner of the slave-driven, can-making factory.

Rant over.
Last Edit: 07 Jul 2018 12:19 by FCPX.guru.

FCPX not letting me skim through my imported clips while audio from timeline is playing 07 Jul 2018 15:53 #96264

• Karsten Schlüter
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 621
// checked my first post, didn't mention 'beat' - phew, lucky me :woohoo: //
Axel wrote:
… A sequence of images should have it's own pace, it should work without the music.….

General advice: there's no such thing as general advice.

For sure, YT is stuffed with stuff where people say "oh what an impressive movie" - and when you turn the volume dial to zero, all left a random sequence of pics. Or, slavishly cut to boom-boom.... (sorry Peter, but bashing front-page's product of the week … …).

FOR SURE one can edit to the beat, in rare cases even on the beat.... and FOR SURE, a movie shouldn't 'borrow interest', as it's called in marketing … but there's no general line, everybody HAS to follow.... depends on project and audience.....

Plaster any Hans Zimmer under a random bundle of super slow mo (of <cough> football) = "ahhhhh!".

Or, try to teach 15y olds the 'dancing finger method' not with any track from Steve Aoki (forgive me, I'm an old man, not knowing 'actual' DJs), but with some classic piece, for a start Pachebel/Canon in D (forgive me, I'm old and sneaky man :evil: ) - lots of drama, accents, highlights, hundreds of blue dots when done… and estimated 35bpm LOL.

-back2topic-
England just beat Sweden, Welcome to semi-finals, they will win the WC!!... oops, wrong board!!! ;)
Last Edit: 07 Jul 2018 15:56 by Karsten Schlüter.

FCPX not letting me skim through my imported clips while audio from timeline is playing 07 Jul 2018 23:09 #96267

• PO
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Yes! (to Mr FCPX Guru)
Last Edit: 07 Jul 2018 23:10 by PO.