Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Problem migrating FCPX libraries from Cheesegrater to nMP

Problem migrating FCPX libraries from Cheesegrater to nMP 09 Jul 2018 23:38 #96269

• LesWilson
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
My Cheesegrater FCP had libraries on one drive and Media/Cache on another. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to gather those folders and the library files onto a RAID on my nMP. However, launching FCP gives me the attached dialog complaining about Media/Cache folders. Setting them to the ones on the RAID doesn't satisfy the complaint and I have to Force Quit FCP. I tried recopying th eLibraries using the Finder instead of CCC but that did nothing.

Should I have done this different;y? TIA

ScreenShot2018-07-09at7.26.38PM.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Problem migrating FCPX libraries from Cheesegrater to nMP 10 Jul 2018 02:10 #96270

• LesWilson
  • Junior Boarder
I think I figured it out. It just doesn't work to copy library files. I had to:
1) boot the nMP with the Cheesegrater book drive
2) open each Cheesegrater library and point the Media/Cache to the RAID where those folders now are
3) Relink Files
4) Create a NEW LIBRARY on the Raid
5) Use FCP to copy all the files from the old library to the new one.
6) Boot using the nMP boot drive
7) Convert each library to FCP 10.4

FYI

Problem migrating FCPX libraries from Cheesegrater to nMP 10 Jul 2018 14:53 #96278

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 880
Hi Les,

Great to hear you figured it out, and thank you for posting your solution.

- Ronny

Problem migrating FCPX libraries from Cheesegrater to nMP 10 Jul 2018 17:25 #96280

• LesWilson
  • Junior Boarder
I've done more investigation. My number one suggestion is to do the data shuffling when you have energy and focus. I was not paying attention with FCP repeatedly asked me to provide new Media and Cache locations. I thought I was needing to only do it one time when in fact, FCP was prompting me for each library. Had I been paying attention, it would have gone as planned. So here's my new recommended process for anyone gathering their data from multiple hard disks into a raid:

1) Migrate OS and User data however you choose paying attention to the files FCP keeps in your Movies folder
2) Migrate FCP Imported Clips/Cache from it's data disk to RAID
3) Copy Libraries from wherever they are to RAID
4) Open each library from the RAID
4a) Convert to 10.4 format as needed
4b) Specify FCP folders on RAID created in 2) for Media and Cache in the FCP prompt
5) Relink files for all the events in the library
6) Repeat 4-5 for each library

I discovered during my experience that there were file copy errors and FCP refused to relink to the versions on the RAID claiming they didn't match. FCP was right, the files it complained about were Import .MOV files that would not open. I think this was due to a crash during the copy. I used Carbon Copy Cloner and in reading up on it, if the file exists in the target, it won;t replace it. YMMV