Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Naming a Draw Mask?

Naming a Draw Mask? 01 Aug 2018 17:36 #96632

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I have a clip that has four Draw masks. Is there a way to name these masks so that you know which one does what? Some kind of identifier?

Actually it would be kind of neat to be able to add some identifying label to ANY effect other than just the default i.e.

Black and White "Left knee" ....Draw Mask "Red Ball" and so on.

JL
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Naming a Draw Mask? 02 Aug 2018 00:17 #96636

• FCPX.guru
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 294
I don't think you can rename multiple instances of an effect. But it shouldn't be too overly difficult to keep track if you're working with them that much. If the order isn't important, place them top to bottom, depending on which is closer to the top of the video frame, which is closer to the bottom.

Naming a Draw Mask? 02 Aug 2018 05:37 #96640

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
Jonathan Levin wrote:
Actually it would be kind of neat to be able to add some identifying label to ANY effect other than just the default i.e.

I forced myself to use the built-in color tools instead of roundtripping to Resolve. Would like to be able to rename Color Wheels x. Also, at least for me, having to click-drag the levels quickly becomes a drag . The pointer should be context-sensitive (if that's he right term in english too). The mouse wheel should become active when I hover over, say, the shadow saturation.

Naming a Draw Mask? 02 Aug 2018 09:25 #96642

• lichinho
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 57
Axel wrote:
Also, at least for me, having to click-drag the levels quickly becomes a drag . The pointer should be context-sensitive (if that's he right term in english too). The mouse wheel should become active when I hover over, say, the shadow saturation.

Not exactly what you are asking, but (perhaps better?): you can click to select (e.g. shadow saturation), and then use the keyboard (arrows up and down) to adjust.

Naming a Draw Mask? 02 Aug 2018 10:08 #96643

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
lichinho wrote:
... you can click to select (e.g. shadow saturation), and then use the keyboard (arrows up and down) to adjust.

Explain please. Where? How?

Naming a Draw Mask? 02 Aug 2018 10:24 #96644

• lichinho
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 57
Axel wrote:
lichinho wrote:
... you can click to select (e.g. shadow saturation), and then use the keyboard (arrows up and down) to adjust.

Explain please. Where? How?

Here is a color wheel:

ScreenShot2018-08-02at11.17.30.png

Click on the saturation indicator (little triangle on the left). Noticethe visual cue indicating it becomes active (whiter than above). If you now press the up and down arrows you can see the indicator move and the image change in the viewer accordingly.

ScreenShot2018-08-02at11.17.18.png

Naming a Draw Mask? 02 Aug 2018 11:12 #96645

• FCPX.guru
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 294
Any numeric field, click it once to activate it, then up / down arrows will change the value one increment. Very simple. BUT (always is) depending on the field, especially in third party add-ons, you may get large jumps in those numbers. By "increments" I don't specify a full digit, or a decimal place, as different fields can increase / decrease this way by different amounts on each arrow press.

Using an Apple Magic Trackpad (the ones made for the iMac Pro are amazing, better than previous generations) I have no issues with click-drag up / down to scroll through the numeric values. Better than dragging a slider. Especially when Shift makes it scroll faster, Option makes it scroll slower.

We should all fill out the feedback page to request the ability to name or note effects in the Inspector.
www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html
Last Edit: 02 Aug 2018 11:17 by FCPX.guru.

Naming a Draw Mask? 02 Aug 2018 15:25 #96649

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Feedback sent.

Naming a Draw Mask? 02 Aug 2018 21:08 #96652

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
lichinho wrote:
Click on the saturation indicator (little triangle on the left).

Thanks, very useful!

Naming a Draw Mask? 06 Aug 2018 15:24 #96720

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
@lichinho
@FCPX.guru

Using the cursor keys to adjust "brightness" on the color wheels is much more comfortable for me than having to drag the sliders. Perhaps some day in the future we will be able to use the Tangent Ripple for the Color Wheels. That'd be dope!

Naming a Draw Mask? 07 Aug 2018 04:48 #96736

Axel wrote:
… That'd be dope!

tinker-Dep. speaking here:

… you can teach any 50€ midi controller to mimic 'analog knobs' …
as an example (ok, beyond 50€…) www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/tutorials/1283-...a-traktor-kontrol-x1

Naming a Draw Mask? 07 Aug 2018 07:16 #96738

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks, Carsten.
But I doubt if particularly the Color Wheels could be mapped to that. Or if the device was as good as the big wheels of the Tangent Ripple.

I still think that the controls should best be automatically moved by the mouse wheel/ball. IIRC FCP7 had such wheels, and of course Resolve has. Feedback sent.