Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New FCPX editing workstation

New FCPX editing workstation 03 Aug 2018 02:17 #96662

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
So my mid 2010 Mac Pro is starting to flake out, and of coatse its mid project :angry:

Also of the same vintage is my Apple LED display, mini display port. I also have a second lcd hp monitor connected hdmi>dvi??

The issue I am currently having involve a failing Radion video board: monitor will just go black. I used ti be able to unplug and then plug the AC power cable to restore. However now I have dark streaks and overall, the led monitor is just dark, no matter how many times I calibrate.

So I think I’m in for a new set up and thought I’d run my shopping list by you.

1) macbook pro 2018 15” 2.6ghzt, stock machine. Not waiting on new MacPro, plus want something portable.

2) LG 4K 22” UHD Thunderbolt 3 monitor with 3 USB-C ports on back. If there is something better that has Thunderbolt 3 ports on back and will charge MBp let me know. Actually something in a 24” would be nice. Don’t need 5k I think.

3) GTech 8TB (2x4tb) Thunderbolt 3 Raid Drive. I’ll set ths up as aRaid 0. One drive will be work drive, second will be where I manually drag something over to back up. I also have a Lacie 4TB Porche USB-3 ext drive I can back up to as well.

4) a whole host of USB>USB-C adapters for things like my Focusright Scarlet 2i2 1st gen.

5) an Apple adapter that has a hdmi socket so I could make use of my hdmi HP monitor. Or something to connect my Apple led mini diplay port if that monitor is funtioning.

I have to believe that this is going to be a step up in terms of prrformance. And since my Macpro only has USB-A this should be a bump up too.

One thing that I wonder is whether or not Thunderbolt 3 is as fast as SATA inside the MP? Maybe thats not even relevent.

The GTech uses 7200rpm drives. SSD just to exspensive right now.

Thoughts?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New FCPX editing workstation 03 Aug 2018 10:09 #96669

• joema
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 211
You know best your actual workflow and computer needs.
However -- unless you absolutely positively need do to major editing in the field, I wouldn't get a high-end MBP. A revised desktop machine works better. If you deal largely with ProRes, the iMac Pro is really fast and also quiet. If you deal mostly with H264, a top-spec 2017 iMac 27 is fast. There might be a revised iMac (maybe with an 8-core CPU) later this year. If your current machine wasn't failing, waiting for might have been an option.

If you need to do modest editing in the field but mainly offload data and look at a few dailies, almost any MacBook can handle that.

I have a top-spec 2015 and 2016 MBP and my team has some 2017 MBPs, but we don't do major editing in the field unless there's no possible alternative. IMO even a 2013 i7 iMac 27 is better than a top-spec 2017 MBP 15 for major editing.

New FCPX editing workstation 03 Aug 2018 13:20 #96676

• Doug
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
As joema said, only you know your workflow, but my two cents are that if you go with the MBP, get the upgraded RAM - you will always be better off with more RAM and since you can't upgrade it later its best to do it on order.

The other point I would mention is that having worked on laptops and desktops for years is that you really want to have 27" of real estate in a monitor to really have a decent workflow. My personal set up at work is a 27" iMac Pro with a 27" secondary monitor, (unfortunately only 1080 but still great for the extra real estate) and I've never been more efficient than with this set up.

New FCPX editing workstation 03 Aug 2018 22:17 #96693

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks gentleman.

I don’t think I’ll be able to wait till 2019 for new MP. And even then I’d be inclined to wait for bugs to work out or even 2nd generation.

I know a bunch of you have large production facilties and probably need the horsepower that a desktop offers but honestly I am a one person shop and keep things pretty simple since I do everything from capture, still, audio and edit. I like that though since I don’t like being a boss :evil:

So for my needs at this juncture of my carrer I look forward to reclaiming desk space and wall outlets.

One thing I was wondering in the shower this AM, can you use a MBP with lid closed? If you can then this makes for an interesting set up especiallt with 2 monitors.

New FCPX editing workstation 04 Aug 2018 05:24 #96701

Jonathan Levin wrote:
…can you use a MBP with lid closed? ….

that's called Clamshell Mode (your shower offers no google access? ;) )
… and endlessly and not finally discussed conc. temp issues.

Funny coincidence - discussing with my self for a while, how my next step in hardware will look like … but I'm a hobbyist = diff.profile of 'needs'. Somehow, I find a laptop tempting = 'computing' on the couch, in my garden, at friends home, while traveling … BUT … serious editing?
Bigger projects (= several ext. drives involved: media, backups, archives)?
How often will I NOT de-plug my laptop from such an installation, due to sheer laziness?
How much time will my 'mobile' Mac stays stationary?

And, my song for decades: never enough screen-estate (who called a 9" screen 'desktop'??? My, small!, desk is 80"!! Whiteboards, pin-boards, drawers not included).

For professional use, evaluate your real-life workflows, maybe a rugged ext. drive solves a lot of your assets. ;)

Actual verdict <dreamModeON> : 5k/27" beast for 'serious' work + a used MB for mobile… tinkering.
"Dear Santa, me again: found a solution …" LOL

New FCPX editing workstation 06 Aug 2018 03:15 #96715

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 199
Jonathan,
Just to clarify your comment about RAID 0. This will stripe data across both of your 4TB drives, so you won't be able to use one as a work drive and the other as a separate backup drive. Your system will see this array as one large 8TB drive. If you want to use both drives independently then you need to setup as JBOD. This, as well as RAID 0 is not very safe to protect your data without very regular backups to another drive. RAID 5 or RAID 10 are better options, but require more drives.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

New FCPX editing workstation 06 Aug 2018 04:04 #96716

if you truly value accuracy in your edits it is really hard to go past imac 27 inch for value, performance, power and fast turn around time.

I still use my macbook air as my data wrangler in the field - ingest(no transcoding) and project organisation. And VERY basic edits with simple cuts. The real magic happens on the imac wehre the big screen and flowing nature on the timeline is CRITICAL to getting quality detail focused creative edits . And the Imac smashes through noise reduction(wont need this as much as I just got a GH5s), rolling band removal and other processor intensive edits .

Edit off a raid set up for speed and back up to cheap USB 3 drives.

New FCPX editing workstation 06 Aug 2018 19:54 #96727

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks dgwvideo- Yeah, I meant the GRaid would be set up JBOD. Each drive independent. In addition a seperate Lacie 4th drive that I could leave off site for additional safety.

Karsten- I had heard that there were issues being able to play music in clamshell mode, but apparently if you have an external audio interface, like my Focusrite, then that should work...

Although I like the idea that the MP, even my old one, is really expandable, when purchased 8 years ago I added additional memory, two other HDD, and a BluRay burner I rarely did any remodeling on the inside, except to occasionally go in and carefully dust things out. And in the really bad old days when I had a Matrox MXO Mini, that used a pci slot. The only slot in use is the one with theRadeon GPU.

So for me Blu Ray is dead. The Matrox became someone else's problem, and memory never seemed to be an issue where I thought I had to have more. Usually if that were to happen, I wouldn't bother putting the money into whatever I have at the time and save for a current Apple xxx xxx.

So here's a qustion for you guys: I agree the 4k LG display that goes along with the MBp is small at 21". It runs about $600US. There is a 27" LG 5k display that is stunning when I saw that in a store. But it runs ~$1100US. Both are Thunderbolt 3 with an additional 3 USB-C ports on the back of the monitor.

From an editing stand point, is there an advantage to look at a monitor that has Thunderbolt 3 as opposed to a display that connects via USB-C? There seems to be alot more to choose from in USB-C at much more reasonable costs. And a bunch of different sizes. Some of the displays I've seen are so inexspensive it seems I could get 2 of those for the price of one LG 5K monitor.

Your thoughts on the Thunderbolt 3 vs. USB-C display connectivity? Your favorite monitor for using FCP?

Thanks again.

JL
Last Edit: 06 Aug 2018 19:56 by Jonathan Levin.

New FCPX editing workstation 07 Aug 2018 02:51 #96732

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 294
At my desk in the TV station studio, I have an old retinal 2010 MacBook Pro 15", maxed out. Use a Thunderbolt 12TV RAID 0 from MacSales. And purchased a used Apple 27" T'bolt display for a great bargain. I run it in clamshell mode, have some great professional Motu monitors that plug into the headphone jack. I also have a PreSonus audio interface for my very expensive mic for voice work. I pop out work pretty quickly on a daily basis, really love it, and the T'bolt display is beautiful.

But, I won't argue when they buy me a new iMacPro.