Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Mixing Audio from Multicam?

Mixing Audio from Multicam? 28 Aug 2018 22:45 #96947

• bradywurtz
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
So I recently did a gig where I filmed a cover band performing at a local restaurant to help promote them.

I recorded the audio straight out their mixer, but I also recorded the audience to mix it in and make it sound like they have a crowd and not some weird clean mixer feed.

anyway, it's a multicam clip. I've got 3 cameras, 1 of which has the good audio of the band pointed at their speakers, 1 of which is pointed at the crowd, and then i have an audio track from my tascam that i used to record their sound board.

What's the easiest way to mix all of this? Is there a way to send them to Logic Pro X? can i send several audio tracks to Logic Pro X to edit and bring back?

I feel like this all has something to do with Roles but i don't remember how
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mixing Audio from Multicam? 29 Aug 2018 00:31 #96949

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 286
If it's a multicam, it's easy. Set the mixing board as your set audio angle, edit as normal. Go back to the first clip in the Multicam, enable all audio channels, "Expand Audio". Then drag each to the end of the Timeline. You can adjust levels right there.
www.macprovideo.com/hub/final-cut/final-...channel-editing-1006

Mixing Audio from Multicam? 29 Aug 2018 14:09 #96956

• bradywurtz
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Doesn't really help my situation but that is something I was unaware of that could help in other projects down the line! Thanks!

But the process you're explain will only expand the audio for that one angle in my multicam clip. I want to be mixing two different audio sources from two different angles. If I click on a clip in the multicam edit and 'expand audio' or 'expand audio components', it will only show the audio from that one camera. I want to be able to edit that one camera, and another track from my multicam file at the same time, and mix them both together.

Mixing Audio from Multicam? 29 Aug 2018 14:51 #96957

• MsJustine
  • Platinum Boarder
  • I am in Durban, safe and warm...
  • Thank you received: 46
This would have worked with old final cut, that had an actual mixing desk, you could patch through each "channel" and do a 2 pass mix, then a mix down or so desired...

I keep hoping some sort of basic 10 channel, 5 bus sort of mixer appears in an update, so far nothing, would it not work to do the audio from the best audio first, use that and do the multicam switch between the 3 cameras...

Oh right, I don't use multicam much, and gee, you can switch to video+audio angles and audio only angles, but the audio only angles paste black as the switch, and if you select "both" this is the case, you can select video only, or audio only, you cannot select video and audio, and not have the audio go to black...

That to me seems a bit backwards, or you could open the multicam clip, and range select the audio portion and then adjust the audio in there, that works..Multi-cam behaves very much like old final cut with tracks...just no mixer..

Mixing Audio from Multicam? 29 Aug 2018 14:58 #96958

• VTCmedia
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Even on single cam shoots I might have 3 separate audio sources. Board. Camera. Wireless - fed into a Zoom H4/H6. I use PluralEyes to sync everything and the export as XML which gives 3 audio lanes to mix with.

Board audio is nice but too antiseptic for my tastes on live shoots so that's where the other 2 ambient audio can be cut in. Version 4 somehow overlooks syncing the very same clips V3 catches and in FCPX it shoves unsynced clips to the end even though you select it not to. That shuffling of ignored clips to the end on V4 is the aggravating reason I keep V3 around. V3 keeps the clips in the timeline the order they were shot irrespective if there isn't secondary audio for them to match up to. Both export multicam if that's your politics.

ValveSS.png

I throw all my audio and video files into PE and it does its magic. From the few times I've used FCPX sync audio feature I think you can only select one audio to vid clips at a time. Too much effort for my pea brain so I jump on PE to do the initial syncing and rock on from there. I believe there's a 30 day trial you can monkey with and it's always 30% off sometime in the Fall.
www.redgiant.com/products/shooter-pluraleyes/
Last Edit: 29 Aug 2018 17:16 by VTCmedia.

Mixing Audio from Multicam? 29 Aug 2018 23:10 #96961

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 286
"But the process you're explain will only expand the audio for that one angle in my multicam clip."

Only half true. You miss the point of making all angles active in that one clip, then you expand them through the whole timeline duration, and mix as you want, all channels.

Mixing Audio from Multicam? 03 Sep 2018 13:23 #96976

• petersxs
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
sync the audio from the tascam as an Angle in the Multicam clip, if you want assign Roles " straight Mix" , and Mic one , and Mic 2 to the other Angels ,
Go 5 secs before Music starts
Cut the Multicam clip into the project , make an Audio edit to The Sound Angle , 1 sec later make an audio edit for Mic 1 1 sec later maker an Audi edit to mic 2
extend and expand all the Audio to the end of the timeline
. You should now have 3 "tracks" which you can adjust in Loudness, Filter ....
for more mixing you can export a Quicktime with Roles as Audio Channels
or export an Xml and open in Logic(sometimes works ;) )
Last Edit: 03 Sep 2018 13:29 by petersxs.