Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Library Back up Size???

Library Back up Size??? 31 Aug 2018 21:11 #96965

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Hi all.

I'm curious as to why my Library back ups are so much smaller than the original library?

I'm working with external media, all render files deleted. The original Library file size is ~675MB and the back up is around 90MB! So what's missing from the back up file and should I be wigging out?

JL
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Library Back up Size??? 31 Aug 2018 23:50 #96968

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 286
Backup is only the databases, no media, nothing that can be recreated (pretty much all cache, etc).

Library Back up Size??? 01 Sep 2018 21:52 #96970

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Thanks FPX.guru!

So in the event of catastraphy, are all those cache and etc files re-generated upon relinking?

Not that a Library size of under 1gb is huge, but an archive of ~90mb Library archive seems intriguing.

JL

Library Back up Size??? 02 Sep 2018 01:26 #96971

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 286
Open one up and take a look.

I have a backup from a ten episode TV show. Open the Package Contents, and I see 4 folder and 4 files.
The files, backupinfo.plist, flexolibrary, currentversion.plist, settings.plist all ad up to 475 KB.

AsyncCopy folder has one plist file that's 2 KB.
Motion Templates folder only has reference folders that are all empty.
Season 1 Event folder has folders for each Project, each of those only has a current version file. All of those add up to 39.5 MB.
The other two folders are Events that are pretty much the same, adds up to 5.6MB.

So my total backup library is only 44.7 MB according to the Finder.
The actual working Library is 1.79 TB.

Side Note; Only one Event for Episodes. One folder for each Episode, populated with keyframes and smart collections pertaining to that specific episode. This show cross references media in other episodes constantly. It's an educational series. In this specific case the media management system works. In other shows I produce or edit, we have an event for each episode.

The backup library is ONLY databases and reference folders. No actual media or cache files exist in it. If you have the original media to reference, you can open a backup, relink, let the cache and proxies repopulate, and you're good.

BUT most smart editors have a separate backup drive and run Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner or something to do nightly backups of the whole thing, media and all.

Warning, I have twice seen one or two backup libraries not work. Both times because they were backing up a working library that was already corrupted.
Last Edit: 02 Sep 2018 01:30 by FCPX.guru.