Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Using a colour mask to make 2 colours stand out and the rest black and white ?

Using a colour mask to make 2 colours stand out and the rest black and white ? 03 Sep 2018 10:47 #96975

• SC_1991
  • Junior Boarder
I want to have 2 colours appear in a clip and have the rest black and white and i'm struggling to figure out how to do this or if its possible, couldn't find a helpful tutorial from searching google. Ive added one colour mask on a yellow and thats worked fine, the yellow is in colour and the rest black and white. However I also want to make another colour stand out but adding a second mask affects the first one so I can only get one colour to show. How do I make the second mask not affect the first ?

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Using a colour mask to make 2 colours stand out and the rest black and white ? 03 Sep 2018 13:39 #96977

• SC_1991
  • Junior Boarder
Not to worry I've figured it out :)

Using a colour mask to make 2 colours stand out and the rest black and white ? 03 Sep 2018 13:40 #96978

• Jonathan Levin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
If I understand, you have a clip thats in color. And as an example, in that clip there is a red ball and a green ball. And you want to isolate those in color while rest of clip is b&w?

If this is the case, maybe I can help. Let me know. I just did this extensively.

JL

Using a colour mask to make 2 colours stand out and the rest black and white ? 03 Sep 2018 13:45 #96979

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 53
You can't apply two color masks within the same CC effect. What you can do though is color pick the first color in >Hue/Saturation Curves >Hue vs. Saturation. Then drag the master puck left to the curve all the way down and finetune the selection. The effect allows for a second selection, finetune that also.

The weakness of FCP is - as I see it - that you can't feather this selection the way you can with the color mask (softness amount). Therefore the result may look weird and blocky.

If you know Resolve, it'd be the better tool for that. First, you can feather any selection. And then, you can have multiple corrections (the so-called nodes) refer to the same source clip/operational state. That'd be parallel nodes. FCP only knows "serial nodes", meaning that once you desaturated in the first effect, the next lacks color to choose from.

SC_1991 wrote:
Not to worry I've figured it out :)

Tell us your solution.
Last Edit: 03 Sep 2018 13:47 by Axel.

Using a colour mask to make 2 colours stand out and the rest black and white ? 03 Sep 2018 14:45 #96980

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 299
Just a rough draft I took only one minute to do, but you can get multiple colors in FCPX.

ScreenShot2018-09-03at9.43.12AM.jpg
Last Edit: 03 Sep 2018 14:45 by FCPX.guru.

Using a colour mask to make 2 colours stand out and the rest black and white ? 05 Sep 2018 05:01 #96985

• Karsten Schlüter
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 621
Axel wrote:
You can't apply two color masks within the same CC effect. ….

uhm, well… define 'masks', hm? ;)

2colorselec.jpg

for sure, the new (new in FCPX…) curves allow to select more than one color (very handy: with the color-picker), and by adjusting the accompanying two other points you can 'feather' it … so, it's just a few clicks, to create a 'girl in the red dress AND boy in a green one'-effect (sidenote: do you notice how selective the picker is, as a German you can imagine how much other greens are in that scene, all those Trachtenjankerl LOL)

If I'm correct, Mark Spencer has an impressive tut on how to improve green-screen with the Curves Tool (not sure, a free one @YT or a $$$ … sorry, me too lazy to dig…), if we talk of masks in context of keying …

Axel wrote:
… so-called nodes….

He said Nodes! :woohoo:
(top on my personal wishlist for an imaginative MotionX…)
Last Edit: 05 Sep 2018 05:02 by Karsten Schlüter.

Using a colour mask to make 2 colours stand out and the rest black and white ? 05 Sep 2018 14:49 #96992

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 53
Well done. With these curves you effectively set a 'tolerance ramp' for the selection itself. Can work. It's just that here are many occasions when it doesn't work so well and when a mask blur (like the color mask every CC effect within FCP has once) would be better.