Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Two editors, two drives, same media - can't reconnect XML import.

Two editors, two drives, same media - can't reconnect XML import. 05 Sep 2018 03:39 #96983

• tangierc
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Folks, this is an issue I have had off and on every since FCP X 10.4 came out and it's inconsistent so I haven't been able to nail down what causes this:

I have a library of media and another editor has a copy of the same media. When the other editor sends me an XML I am unable to reconnect the video files to mine. I get compatibility errors. In particular the error is:

The original file didn’t have audio, but the new file does.
Relinked files must have the same media type and similar audio channels as the original files, and must be long enough to cover all the clips that reference the files.

Every once in a while this happens and I am stumped how we can have the same media that can be relinked when sending XMLs between each other.

Any ideas?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Two editors, two drives, same media - can't reconnect XML import. 05 Sep 2018 10:35 #96987

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 299
You should have the same media, in Libraries with the same name, same media management structure (Events, collections, etc).

What codec is the media? Can you give specifics?

Two editors, two drives, same media - can't reconnect XML import. 05 Sep 2018 11:43 #96988

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 212
When relink fails it doesn't give you much info. However if you pick only one file (which failed previously) and relink that, it will give more specific info about why it failed. Try that, then examine the file metadata on the source and destination machines using MediaInfo, Invisor, etc.

The library contains metadata about each media file. During relink this is compared to the metadata read from the disk file being relinked. Unfortunately I don't know if an easy way to examine the stored metadata, except to export an XML, open it in TextEdit and search for the filename. That will lead to something like this:

<asset id="r28" name="C0099_28672" uid="F51E6A6ED48F2F90D9A86998A9001A05" src="file:///Volumes/TBay8TB_SSD_True/CMA/CMA060518/HarleyA6500/C0099_28672.MP4" start="0s" duration="6186180/60000s" hasVideo="1" format="r27" hasAudio="1" audioSources="1" audioChannels="2" audioRate="48000">

If you export an XML on your destination machine, then for a problem file compare the metadata within the XML from both source and destination XMLs, this will show whether the file metadata (from FCPX's viewpoint) is the same or not. If it's not the same the question is why not. In that case the next step is examine the source and destination media files themselves using MediaInfo, Invisor, etc. If they are the same, the question is why is relink failing.

BTW the latest version of Final Cut Library Manager can produce a .csv list of all media files used in a library, including pathname, but it doesn't list metadata. It would be nice enhancement if it did.

If you are using external proxies, ie proxies generated by FCPX but stored outside the library, relink will be unreliable in that case. That is a known problem I filed long ago.

Are both media sets on both machines on HFS+ partitions? If one is a portable exFAT hard drive, maybe that's a factor.

Two editors, two drives, same media - can't reconnect XML import. 05 Sep 2018 13:08 #96990

• tangierc
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for the reply Joe:
  1. The error I provided was from examining only one clip I attempted to relink.
  2. At a quick glance even in FCP X I noticed that the imported (but not relinked clip) doesn't have a creation date, roles, channel configuration, etc. It's as though whatever modifications the other editor made in FCP X actually affected the clip at the Finder level rather than stay confined to the database. There's no reason our media files should differ being that I copied all of the media I have for the other editor.
  3. Since I don't have the other editors's media I cannot compare the same files using MediaInfo. Though I have use that program and familiar with it.
  4. I explored if Final Cut Library Manager could be helpful in this situation, but it can't.
  5. Using BBEdit, there's about 18 lines worth of XML keys difference between my clip and the clip sent to me. I can spot some of them pretty easily, but it'll take a lot of copy/paste surgery to fix it...for every single clip. It seem the other editor's FCPX is stripping metadata that should stay with the file.. I wonder if it matters what type of XML media view the other editor exports?
  6. Both clips are on HFS+ Partitions.

Two editors, two drives, same media - can't reconnect XML import. 05 Sep 2018 13:41 #96991

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
tangierc wrote:
...At a quick glance even in FCP X I noticed that the imported (but not relinked clip) doesn't have a creation date, roles, channel configuration, etc. It's as though whatever modifications the other editor made in FCP X actually affected the clip at the Finder level rather than stay confined to the database. There's no reason our media files should differ being that I copied all of the media I have for the other editor.

In theory external media files should never even be opened in write mode, only for reading.

Here's one thing to try: it seems FCPX uses Spotlight for file lookups, and if the Spotlight indexes were messed up it might get wrong info. Use the instructions here to rebuild Spotlight indexes on all drives, including the system drive: support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

While you're at it you may as well run Disk Utility First Aid on all drives.

OTOH if that problem is caused by the source machine, then your partner might need to run these steps also, then re-generate another XML. BUT before doing that it might be better to examine closely the metadata for one "failed" file between source and destination -- see below.

tangierc wrote:
...Since I don't have the other editors's media I cannot compare the same files using MediaInfo. Though I have use that program and familiar with it.

Maybe the other editor could run MediaInfo and send you that data.

tangierc wrote:
...Using BBEdit, there's about 18 lines worth of XML keys difference between my clip and the clip sent to me. I can spot some of them pretty easily, but it'll take a lot of copy/paste surgery to fix it...for every single clip. It seem the other editor's FCPX is stripping metadata that should stay with the file.. I wonder if it matters what type of XML media view the other editor exports?

I think the XML metadata for the same file on two different machines should have the same items in the bottom two lines of the sample I posted. IOW filename, extension, start, duration, hasVideo, hasAudio, format, audioSources, audioChannels, audioRate.

If you export your current event XML, look up the same failed file in your XML vs your partner's XML, and compare *only* those items for one file which fails to relink, what does that show? Are those metadata items the same for that file between source and destination? If not, that's why relink is failing.

For troubleshooting, it might be easier if he exported the XML for a single "problem" file, send that to you, then you export the same single-file XML and compare those. The XMLs will be much smaller and easier to read.

The next step is determine why the XML metadata is different for that file. Is the file metadata the same on disk? That requires comparing the MediaInfo for both files.

I've encountered this a few times, and I vaguely recollect either rebuilding Spotlight indexes and/or running First Aid on all drives seemed to improve things.

We use a lot of Sony XAVC-S files which creates many redundant filenames since the cameras restart at C0001 each time a card is changed. As part of the ingest we now rename all files giving them a unique serial number suffix. I think before we did that we had more relink problems.

If your drive volume names are the same you probably would not need to relink -- assuming the source/destination media tree structure is the same. If you have no other software dependent on your disk volume name, you can experimentally change the volume name to match his, relink your own files, then start FCPX and try to load his XML. In theory it should load without requiring relink. Obviously have good backups before trying this.
Last Edit: 05 Sep 2018 13:46 by joema.

Two editors, two drives, same media - can't reconnect XML import. 05 Sep 2018 17:38 #96993

• tangierc
  • Senior Boarder
Update. I got the drive from the other editor. I opened his copy of the project on my computer with FCP X 10.4.3.

It opened just fine.
I exported an XML of his project (the one with media that wouldn't relink)
I unmounted his drive from my computer.
I imported that XML into my library and voila! It all reconnected.

Where does that leave me. I don't know for sure. The only thing that hasn't been confirmed yet is his version of FCP X; if it differs from mine.

When he exported an XML from his computer and sent it, it would't relink to the media I have - the same media we both have.

When I exported an XML from his library and imported it into mine on my computer it worked.

To be continued I suppose...

Two editors, two drives, same media - can't reconnect XML import. 06 Sep 2018 00:20 #96994

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
tangierc wrote:
...The only thing that hasn't been confirmed yet is his version of FCP X; if it differs from mine....

You can look in the XML file he sent and see if it's version 1.8. It's near the top of the file. If it's 1.7 it's likely a prior version of FCPX. I don't know why that would make a difference in this case, but maybe it does.

If you have a laptop with FCPX you could mount the drive there, export the XML, then try to load that XML on your main machine. It's possible having source and destination media volumes with different names could be a factor. This should not cause a problem -- relink should still work. However relink is definitely unreliable if using external proxies and if the source and destination volume names are different. Even though you aren't using external proxies, maybe the problem is more widespread.