Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Please use feedback to demand future support of BRAW

Please use feedback to demand future support of BRAW 14 Sep 2018 17:37 #97040

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
As announced just now, Blackmagic has developed it's own version of "ProRes Raw", called BRAW (for Blackmagic Raw). Have a look:
www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackm...inipro/blackmagicraw

You can download the MacOS player or open the downloadable clips in Resolve 15.1.

Quote:
Blackmagic RAW is a totally new design, plus it’s cross platform, freely available and includes a developer SDK so anyone can add support for Blackmagic RAW to their own software.

I am not sure what the last part of the sentence means: can anyone with software skills add BRAW to FCP X?

Be it as it may, it looks as if this codec will spread faster than PRR. It will be supported natively in a future FW update for the new, hot BMPCC4k. FCP X should support it. We should demand it. What do you think?
Last Edit: 14 Sep 2018 17:52 by Axel.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Please use feedback to demand future support of BRAW 14 Sep 2018 19:55 #97041

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 57
At this point I agree the BRAW has greater potential market share more quickly that ProResRaw . I'll certainly ask Apple to support it (I did with cDNG as well and spoke to Steve Bayes directly about that too). That never happened. Bayles said he felt 4x4 was good enough and even good old 422 HQ. That was before ProRes QX (which didn't get widespread implementation). Apple is probably going to make the decision based on what's most profitable to them though.

For ProResRaw to spread I saw BMD and Arri as key camera implementors. Arri already has their own Raw though but might consider it as an improvement over ProRes which they also support.
BMD could have spread it far in their lower budget market but that's not going to happen now. With their SDK you'll probably see it in PPro and Avid in some form at some time. I can't say the same for ProResRaw. Currently it's limited to certain ATMOS recorders with certain cameras that send RAW friendly data down SDI.

Both BMD and Apple are hardware companies (of different sorts). BMD sells cameras. They sell grading consoles and in/out cards that Resolve require. Resolve itself is now free (Resolve Studio included with their cameras).

The question is licensing. Apple makes money on ProRes licensing and that may have even been a factor in BMD's decision (although they say they've been working on it for over two years). I can't see BMD giving BRAW to other camera manufacturers for free (I could be wrong) since that could have some impact on their camera sales. So that would make BMD and Apple licensing competitors. Whereas Apple has it in ATMOS in limited camera combos, BMD has it in their own cameras (coming soon) and it looks like they're encourage other NLEs with their SDK.

Apple doesn't have much motive to implement BRAW in FCPX if their licensing competitors though unless they feel that its lack will impact Mac sales (the other major NLEs are cross platform).

So we can certainly ask for it but I'm honestly not sure yet Appel has motive to cede the ProRes licensing market. QX didn't see much camera implementation, ProResRAW has none directly. Apple never implemented cDNG in FCPX. So I don't hold out much hope.

Most clients don't care what NLE you use so much as the end quality. IF (big iff) BMDRaw acquisition means deliverables that clients can discern compared to ProRes sources then that may well push some into a Resolve workflow (and BMD hardware).

Please use feedback to demand future support of BRAW 15 Sep 2018 04:41 #97044

Axel wrote:
… this codec will spread faster than PRR. …

uhm, well, correlates 1:1 by number of cameras supporting it, Cpt Obvious says :lol:

In that context:
was surprised, none/zero/zil of the lately announced new FFML cameras from Nikon, Canon, Fuji (Pana yet to come…) supports PRR, or at least a 'raw' signal at some connector … The BM cameras are not meant for the masses, but those full-frames in the prosumer league would help to distribute PRR… hmm?

Please use feedback to demand future support of BRAW 15 Sep 2018 22:22 #97051

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 62
We demand nothing of Apple. For they are the Great Providers. We take what we are given. They can do no wrong.

Seriously though, why does everyone need a different RAW format? I got the e-mail too, but I saw nothing that would lead me to believe that Blackmagic RAW is in any way better than ProRes Raw. The best format should win. Tim Cook and Grant Petty should fight in a caged arena until one of them can't walk.
Last Edit: 15 Sep 2018 22:23 by Redifer.

Please use feedback to demand future support of BRAW 16 Sep 2018 00:45 #97052

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 286
I'm with Karsten on this one, 2 reasons I find this to be trivial drool.

1- ProRes RAW and this new Blackmagic RAW both are extremely limited to the hardware/software that supports them. The target audience is probably less than 1% of the entire video production market.

2- We've already inundated with dozens of codecs, many of which simply do not work properly to start with! Honestly, someone give me a single positive reason why we need one more.

Division is the battle cry of the day for these developers, not unity. I'm not wasting any more breath on this idiocy.
Last Edit: 16 Sep 2018 00:49 by FCPX.guru.

Please use feedback to demand future support of BRAW 16 Sep 2018 02:20 #97053

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 57
I guess I'm in the 1% as a Blackmagic camera shooter (not my only camera though). I can get by with ProResHQ but I want the option to shoot RAW for certain projects. I'll have that option and on the jobs I think it's preferred I won't be able to edit in FCPX.

Please use feedback to demand future support of BRAW 16 Sep 2018 11:20 #97060

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
There are reasons for some to use CDNG with BM cameras. Since ProRes Raw we came to know that the workflow (once on the computer) could be drastically simplified. It is a selfish wish to be able to edit (and - why not? - grade) BRAW in FCP. Integrating that would be a piece of cake for Apple. They just needed to swallow their pride. I'm sure Adobe already has someone fiddling with the BM SDK.